Hey, i got a 1986 Japanese Fender stratocaster. The pickups are still stock (seymour duncan single, single, double rail). I got it already modded, stock it came with some clamp/locking mechanism above the nut but it was removed changed into the classic style bone nut. It had the bridge changed from (what i believe to be) a japanese style floating bridge into more classic strat-style tremolo bridge style.

I also have some brand new guitar hardware thats been gathering dust (3 emg pickups all wired up: humbucker, single, humbucker), 6 gotoh tuners, and a original floyd rose double locking tremolo.

From what i can tell I would have to route the bridge and neck pickup cavities, the bridge studs line up to the ofr, and i would need to re-place the screw that secures the tuner.

I guess what i'm asking is "can I" do this, and "should I" do this?
I'm satisfied with the guitar the way it is right now, but i was wondering how it would play with the parts i have. Also if this changes anything, from what i could tell the guitar was made from Japanese Basswood. I dont really know what else to say lol.

Thanks, - Vien
Don't forget that the tuners have to be all the one side, a set of standard tuners are 3 each way.
A more pressing question might be why not buy a cheapo kit & stick the gear in. Some of the kits are decent & not wotrth a bomb...just a thought
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Honestly if I were you I would try and refurbish this guitar to bone stock. My bassist actually has the exact same model (including the locking nut) in a beautiful cream finish. The local tech at Daddy's Junky Music just finished restoring the Jap-Strat and it truly is a work of art. I would save your parts for something a little less vintage. But if you feel so inclined (and I might be a little biased here) you should at most convert it to an HSS. It's a much more simple mod and depending upon the stock routing (I've never seen the guitar without it's pickguard), you might not need to do any routing yourself. (This process could seriously depreciate it's value of course). But as I said before; restore it. Ya just can't go wrong.
Guitar Center Tech: We'll replace it if you drop it, run it over, spill beer on it-
Jay (Bass): We spill beer!
Myself: Okay, yeah, I'll do the Gold Coverage.
im not much concerned with the depreciation of the guitar since i got it for around 20 bucks, and i cant purchase a kit since i dont have extra cash. i was buying parts for a build a while back but didn't get around to buying wood working tools (other than a router) but the strat looks like a ready recipient for the parts, but idk..
WTF you own it do what you like!!!! Why ask the question & not listen to GOOD advice. Your 15 years old arnt you?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
^actually, i was more unsure wether the parts would fit or not. the emg's seem a bit "deeper" than regular humbuckers, the original studs and routing were for a fender floating tremolo, but i couldn't tell if it would work with an ofr (the studs "look" like they are the same but i'm not quite sure. i was hoping someone would know the spacing on it, since the internet didn't really help out much with that. and idk if drilling new holes in the back of the headstock for the tuners would make it less durable or something, or if the holes in the headstock are the right size. also read some posts on this forum about how big routes inside a strat make the sustain go waay down or something. thats really what i meant about should/could.

And i forgot to say this lol, but if i just put my floyd rose locking nut above the bone nut, where the old lock clamps were, would that work same as the old lock clamps?

Edit: Mainly I'm posting because i can build a guitar from a piece of wood, but i don't know much about modding a guitar already built lol
Last edited by theguitarguy_1 at Jan 7, 2012,
The routing is simple enough measure the depth of the pups & the thickness of the body & it either will fit or wont. I have seen a strat with the same configuration looked great & played well. I did a mock on one of my strats to show you how it looked

The routing should be straight forward the centre of the old pup is going to be the centre of the new pups. Just sit it on there & mark around it set the plunge to the right depth & go for it.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Installing the FR locking nut above the bone nut, where the old lock clamps were, might be a bit tricky, but since you've scratch built, may be a non-issue.

As far as tuners, lot of peeps do that all the time. I bought a CS 335 from Min and he did a hack job; however, I don't believe it compromised the neck.

Before routing for the HBs, make sure you have a proper scratchplate. Use it as a template for your routing.

I'd measure 5X before attempting the bridge replacement though.

Good Luck!

Yeah the locker above the bone nut would surly pull you sharp as the nut is what is doing the 'fretting' now not the locking nut that was there originally.

As for the scratch plate IF you can find one ready made great but you may have to buy a blank & cut it out. I would route the body then rework my original scratch plate for an exact pup fit. For the sake of the LOOK you may even have enough mounting tag length on the humbucker to bend the tag to fit the original scratch plate holes (on the rear pup)

Stew Mac have a scratch plate with single single humbucker http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Strat_style_pickguards/Strat_Pickguards_Humbucker_Single_Single.html
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!