Hi,

is there any diffirence between combo amp and cabinet with head? Talking about sound quality.
depends on the amp....

In theory there shouldn't be much difference, but some amps are completely different when you get the combo version. The one that stands out to me is the 6505. The head version IIRC is 120W, and the combo is 60W, and will have a slightly different sound.

But MOST amps are pretty much identical. Some people just prefer a combo, some prefer the flexibility of using mulitple amps through one cabinet, etc.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Combos are usually open back, cabinets can be either. Therefore they will often sound different but it's a matter of personal choice. Other than the odd stinker out there, sound quality is irrelevant.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Generally I'd recommend a split setup over a combo - its easier to transport and in most cases will sound better (heavy tones generally sound better with a totally sealed cab). There's no clear cut winner though
Quote by jpatan
The head version IIRC is 120W, and the combo is 60W, and will have a slightly different sound.

Actually, it's only the 6505+ 112 combo that's 60w, IIRC. Wasn't there a "regular" 2x12" combo of it before the 112?

Anyway, the differences are numerous. As said, in many cases, the combos and the heads are actually different amps with different circuitry, so they'll obviously sound different. Also, if you've got a head, you can pair it up with a number of cabinets - 112, 212, 412 or whatever, and each will have their own typical sound. Also, every single cabinet sounds different, even if they're the same configuration, and a head will sound tremendeously different, depending on what cab you pair it with. Therefore, heads are more flexible tone-wise, in a certain sense. There's also the fact that many people who gig prefer heads and cabs, because a head & 212 cab is easier to carry than a heavy 212 combo.

However, for some reason, many people just prefer combos, me included. I just think they look cool and all that.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
yeah, I meant the 6505+ combo. I'm not sure about previous models. I'm not a 6505 guru, was just pointing out that sometimes the combo version is a totally different beast. Though, with the 6506+ you could argue that the "+" makes it a different amp anyway
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Anyway, the differences are numerous. As said, in many cases, the combos and the heads are actually different amps with different circuitry, so they'll obviously sound different. Also, if you've got a head, you can pair it up with a number of cabinets - 112, 212, 412 or whatever, and each will have their own typical sound. Also, every single cabinet sounds different, even if they're the same configuration, and a head will sound tremendeously different, depending on what cab you pair it with. Therefore, heads are more flexible tone-wise, in a certain sense. There's also the fact that many people who gig prefer heads and cabs, because a head & 212 cab is easier to carry than a heavy 212 combo.

You can pair a 6505 combo with an external cab. Or at least you can with the 212 combo. Sounds killer with a mesa 4x12!

browny8browny,

It really depends on what models you are looking at. Some combos will sound pretty much the same as their heads, some won't. You need to be more specific if you want a sensible answer.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs