I have been looking for a strat but someone yesterday mentioned a super strat. I own a few humbucker guitars already (Vintag V100 and Ibanez).

It would have to be a copy around £180 - £300 budget so probably couldnt afford a fender. What do you think people?
If you've already got some superstrat-ish guitars, I'd say to go for a "real" stratocaster. They've just got such a mojo of their own, I think it's impossible to replicate, even if you had the best possible split tones that sound exactly like singlecoils...

Budget wise, you could easily score a 2nd hand MiM Standard Stratocaster. I've got one and I love it. If you don't like 2nd hand, you could get a Squier Classic Vibe stratocaster - they're brilliant. Also, Tokai makes some very good Stratocasters in the price range. There's also the ESP LTD St-203, which is very cool if you like relic / distressed finishes. It's good quality, too, and retails around £350 new.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
£383 gets you a brand new MIM fender strat

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-standard-stratocaster-2009-lake-placid-blue-rosewood/19297

save up just that little bit more.

or get a used one (which should be £250-£300 depending on condition and specs)

edit: also on gak below the picture it says
Instant Rebate Voucher! Get £33 instant rebate with this exclusive discount voucher! Simply add this deal to your basket when purchasing.
so it's £350 not £383 as i originally thought.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jan 6, 2012,
If you've already got guitars with humbuckers, then a SuperStrat gives you less than a standard strat with SSS set up would.

Any particular reason you're looking for a Strat though? Have you considered a Telecaster? This is purely opinion, but as far as I'm concerned Strats are fairly boring, whereas Telecasters have a great unique sound which will provide an excellent compliment to your humbucker guitars (I know my telecaster is the only one of my guitars which features on every single song I've recorded...)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by The^Unforgiven
ESP LTD St-203, which is very cool if you like relic / distressed finishes. It's good quality, too, and retails around £350 new.

that guitar is SOOO ugly! i love relics but the distressing and pickups are.... LAQUERED!!!!!!!????? WHY?

get a Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster, my brother has one and theyre awesome. ive never tried a squire classic vibe stratocaster but the rumour going round is that theyre awesome, especially for the price, but i cant recommend it cos ive never tried it.
i am looking for that really springy strat sound. its the sound i am looking for so it would not necessary have to be a strat. i was looking at the Vintage V6 as i have a Vintage V100 and i do like me for the price.
bear in mind i dont wanna splash out until i can play better. i only started learning around 3 month ago
well in that time you can save some money. for the springy sound id recommend a telecaster, loads of clarity and really twangy cleans but sounds awesome on high distortion, especiall on the bridge pickup. a strat with a maple fretboard and using the bridge pickup would sound similar though
if i was to pick an artist to link with the sound im after it would mark knopfler/clapton sounding
Quote by itamar100
well in that time you can save some money. for the springy sound id recommend a telecaster, loads of clarity and really twangy cleans but sounds awesome on high distortion, especiall on the bridge pickup. a strat with a maple fretboard and using the bridge pickup would sound similar though

No, just no.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by mattwigan
if i was to pick an artist to link with the sound im after it would mark knopfler/clapton sounding

for knopfler or clapton then definately get a strat, a telecaster will never work for their sounds.
any one rate the Vintage V6. Just in terms of cost it seems viable. I took a look at the Squire Classic Vibe its a really nice guitar but i was worned a while ago about squire???
What was the warning about Squier? They're entry level Fenders, and usually a very good purchase considering the price you pay for them.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Squier is a fairly large brand. You were most likely warned against them by someone who used a bullet or an affinity series. They aren't great guitars, but are worth it for how much they cost. The Squier Classic Vibe is much better than either.

For Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton tones, you'd need more of a Stratocaster, than a Telecaster, and a SSS one at that. The Classic Vibe series is good, though I'd lean for the 50s version (Maple neck) specifically the Red one (It's a newer release and has upgraded pickups over the Sunburst/LPB/Olympic White ones).

What I would personally recommend, since you're in the UK, is the Squier Simon Neil Stratocaster. I know, I know, you probably don't want a guitar with someone else's name on it but hear me out. I got to play one a couple weeks back and managed to nail his "Money for Nothing" tone through a Fender Mustang 3, and it played like a dream. Too bad they don't sell them in the States or I would have snatched one up, and I don't even know who Simon Neil is.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Take a good look at the Squier Classic Vibe series. Honestly, don't know why they call it Classic Vibe, because it sounds modern to me.

A lot of the hate for Squiers is because somebody's mom bought them an Affinity or Bullit. Those are pieces of crap. But the stuff that just says "Squier" is usually pretty good.
Ibanez SR1200E
Kangaxxter. Not at all mate I have seriously limited knowledge and I just seek advice from all you guys who I am sure are much better players and are vastly more expirienced than me. I am open to all suggestions as the more knowledge I can gain the better it will help me.

My guitar teacher told me to stay clear of the squire but he may have meant the bullet and affinity. I have taken a look at bother the squire and mim strat, price wise there ain't much in it really
to squire or not to squire...
Never steer clear of a guitar because of its name (or price). Also, be slow to endorse a guitar because of its name. Yeah, there is some value in listening to other people's opinions. And there are situations that happen more often in one brand than another, but each guitar stands on its own. It really only matters if the guitar works for you or not.
agree with itamar 100 about the ltd distressed . !!! i dont know if the cheaper LTD distressed series is like the George lynch gl-256 .

BUt the distressed is a stencil paintjob .. its not even distressed sanded .. its like paint over to give an effect .

on the picture it look not so bad .. but live it sound cheap and fake . i assume LTD made in indenosia probably wont have real hand distressed on a 300 $ guitar . si i guess thats a stencil airbrush .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7rt2-7riLLM/TE2_ooKsz5I/AAAAAAAAAK4/TWOEzuZkzGo/s1600/gl-256.jpg

stay away from it . really ugly in person .

** not to be confused with the real ESP 2000$ george lynch ESP gl-56 which i think have a real distressed .

l
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 8, 2012,
has anyone every had dealings with a vintage V6. I have been looking at the squire classic vibe and its like others have said in the post i am at entery level so it would do for me. i was looking at the mexican standard strats in comparison with the squire classic vibe there is not much difference in price but not sure about quality anybody know?
Id choose a MIM mexican standard over a squier classic vibe anytime .

I tried the classic vibe and diddnt like it perosnnaly . theres also a gloss finish of the neck that look "cheap" .. its like a glossy orangy finish . Still played well but MIM standard anytime before the classic vibe .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
were is the best place to look for second hand stuff been on ebay but i am always abit wary if there real or not
no one is going to fake a Squier classic vibe.

That being said, I fully recommend the Squier classic vibe guitars. Honestly, far superior to the MIM Fender standards both in tone and playability. They are seriously awesome guitars. Almost every one I've picked up has played and sounded great. I have some reservations about the quality of the electronics inside, but those are a cheap and easy fix. The pickups that come with the CV guitars are surprisingly good.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 8, 2012,
In the UK, if you don't like eBay the other main choices for private sales are:
www.craigslist.co.uk
www.gumtree.com/
...but if you don't trust eBay, then you're not likely to trust those either. With eBay you have a certain amount of protection through their policies, especially when you pay through paypal. I don't know if these two sites have any protection at all.

It's also worth looking at these:
www.cashconverters.co.uk
www.cashgenerator.co.uk

Obviously these are both fairly big businesses, so should be fairly trustworthy. No experience of actually using them though, so far I've never found anything on them that I wanted to buy.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by mattwigan
there is two versions are these 50's and 60's muchuch different?
'50s - maple fretboard, lower output pickups, '60s - rosewood fretboard, a tiny bit hotter pickups. Neck shape is also a little bit different. The '50s one feels a little bigger to me, which I prefer.

For this guitar, I like the '50s model with the maple fretboard. Imo, it plays better but go to a guitar store and try both out.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 8, 2012,
cheers gary i have had no problems with ebay but my knowledge is limited and i wouldnt no fake from real.

Yer i was thinking of the 50's do you own one al112987?
no I don't, but it's been my go-to guitar in guitar stores these days when I want to try out amps and effects. I'm not really big on buying strats off the rack, I'm more of a partscaster kind of guy, but if I were to walk into a guitar store and buy a guitar today, it would be a classic vibe 50s strat.