Hey,

I've been planning to install an EMG 89 in my current guitar, but I'm not sure how I should do it. I saw the diagram in the sticky thread, but here's my problem:

Parts I have:
1 volume pot (push pull)
1 tone pot
3 way toggle swtich
capacitor

I know how to install emg 89 itself, but how do I solder the emg 85 so that the volume pot becomes a master volume? (for both pickups, not only for the 89). Normally, I would solder it to the pot shield, like normal EMG's, but in this one, I have all of this stuff for the push-pull and I can't find a place for the 85.

I would be grateful for some kind of diagram.

EDIT:

I found this:
http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/189%201EMG%201v%201t%203wt.pdf

Will it work? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the push-pull pot, are the cables soldered to the tips and shield at once?
Last edited by Sharkuzzi at Jan 6, 2012,
i'm confused.. i think you're overcomplicating it. The volume pot has no choice but to be a master volume, since it's after the pickup selector switch. You solder the 85 to the selector switch, not the pot. It doesn't matter where the shield wire is soldered, as long as it goes to ground. (maybe the side of the selector switch would be a good place)
Quote by Ibbod0
You solder the 85 to the selector switch, not the pot. It doesn't matter where the shield wire is soldered, as long as it goes to ground. (maybe the side of the selector switch would be a good place)

Well, that's kinda new to me. For me, it always was like: pickup -> pot shield -> switch. So, in fact, it's like: pickup -> switch, but it has to be soldered to ground? If that's the case, then ok.

One more thing, take a look at the diagram I posted in my first post.

On the tone pot, I can clearly see one of the tips also soldered to the shield.
On the push-pull pot, I can't see if I should also bend the tips to touch the shield.
your terminology confuses me a little, but I think I know what you mean

shield typically refers to the braided bare wire surrounding an insulated inner wire. what you're calling the pot shield isn't incorrect, but it usually gets called the pot casing or simply the back of the pot
also, when you see 'tip' in a sentence about guitar wiring you usually think of the tip of the output jack (it has a tip and a sleeve). I'd usually call the solder points on a pot 'lugs', or you'll sometimes see them called tabs

just figured I'd point those out to avoid any confusion that happens just because of wording

the diagram you edited into your first post will work as long as you know what colour wires from the 89 go where on the push/pull..they're not listed in the diagram.
as far as grounding one of the lugs on the push/pull, if you look at the left lug you'll see a little black jumper wire that connects to the side of the switch casing, which is typically grounded.