I have a bunch of stuff up for sale/trade on a local kijiji site

I was offered a Roland Bolt 60 which the guy advertised as a tube amp

however upon reading reviews I find that it is a tube power amp and a solid state preamp

I've been an acoustic player for the most part and my experience with amps is, I have one. I've thought about buying a "good" amp but at the end of the day I pick up my acoustic over my les paul so I never really gave it much serious thought.

The reviews seem to suggest that the clean channel is excellent but the distortion channel sucks. What's the point of a tube amp with sucky distortion? Not that I care much to be honest, I have pedals, pods, and processors that can be hooked up to the clean channel if need be, but the fact that it's a tube amp without the tube overdrive that makes tube amps appealing concerns me.

If this would make a nice amp for plugging an acoustic in to, it would be a worthwhile investment to me. when i say nice I mean something that I would be recommended if i went into a guitar store and said "i want an amp to plug an acoustic into". If not i'll pass.

Thank you for your guidance, wise ones of UG
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Id wait it out for something you're totally happy with. Or try it if you can. Theres always a good deal to be had somewhere if youre patient enough.

I figured youd want SS for acoustic amps, because it'd be uncoloured, so you can hear the tone of the guitar rather than the amp..
Well to be honest a lot of what people consider 'tube tone' is mostly the poweramp tubes giving the warmth we usually associate with tube amps. Distortion however from powertubes would require a LOT of volume and so Roland probably added a solid state distortion circuit.
It depends on what you want from a tube amp, metalheads don't want powertube distortion; they want it all from the preamp so they can chug without getting a muddy mess. Other genre's like poweramp distortion over preamp, take classic bands we all know like Deep Purple, Zeppelin, ACDC.

and here's where it gets nice; Brian May uses an old solid state amplifier for pretty much every Queen song in the studio, it's nothing special, just an old Mullard transistor radio. Though it probably sounds like ass clean, it sure does sound nice when overdriving.

I'd give it a try though, aren't the cleans what you're looking for acoustic guitar?
Well that's the thing...i'm not actually looking for an amp, so I have no problem saying no thanks. I am looking for unprocessed cleans for acoustic, and if that's all the amp is good for then it would be a worthwhile investment, but if there's a better setup for amplifying acoustic I'd rather not waste my time on something that sorta does the job.

Like i mentioned i'm more of an acoustic player, I own electric guitars and gear but I rarely use it, so I haven't done much research into the good the bad and the okay.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
don't rely on reviews too heavily. usually its just people who don't know shit and think their _____________ is the best thing ever. they usually do it during the honeymoon period, then get more displeased the longer they have it.

if you are dumb enough to listen to MF's reviews, last time i checked the MG and Spider had higher ratings than half of the decent amps.

there are good reviews out there, but most of them are completely useless. however if you look hard enouh you will be good reviews somewhere. maybe one out of ten reviews are worth reading. everything that is all 10's i dont even read.

somehow you a much less of an ass when you are seeking advice. different isn't it?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
don't rely on reviews too heavily. usually its just people who don't know shit and think their _____________ is the best thing ever. they usually do it during the honeymoon period, then get more displeased the longer they have it.

if you are dumb enough to listen to MF's reviews, last time i checked the MG and Spider had higher ratings than half of the decent amps.

there are good reviews out there, but most of them are completely useless. however if you look hard enouh you will be good reviews somewhere. maybe one out of ten reviews are worth reading. everything that is all 10's i dont even read.

somehow you a much less of an ass when you are seeking advice. different isn't it?

Thank you for that awesome story that had no relevance to the thread.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
Thank you for that awesome story that had no relevance to the thread.

helping you look for reviews is certainly terrible of me. play some nice gear, come back with a changed mind and and are less of a b*tch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'm going to have to use your review advice to ignore your review on reviews.
Quote by stepchildusmc
While trashedlostfdup is being a little bit of an ass, his point is completely valid and true. Most reviews are useless, and you should always take them with a little more than a grain of salt.

Anyway, you should be looking into either a PA, or an acoustic amp. There aren't really any amps that sound good for acoustic and electric guitar. You need a different kind of amp for either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Honestly if you wan to amplify an acoustic the absolute best way is a quality condenser microphone into a nice PA system (or even better a full-on recording studio). That can be expensive though and a nice mic will set you back as much as a medium sized guitar amp.

Depending on the quality of your pickups DI'ing into a desk works well too - but again PA's/mixing desks aren't cheap and you'll piss off any sound tech if you pitch up with your own desk at a gig (though any acoustic gig worth it's salt won't ask you to bring an amp and you'll just run into the PA via DI/mic anywho)

Why not go with a dedicated acoustic amp?
Granted there aren't as many about - but a quick google reveals a couple of options:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=acoustic+guitar+amp
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Offworld92
While trashedlostfdup is being a little bit of an ass, his point is completely valid and true. Most reviews are useless, and you should always take them with a little more than a grain of salt.

Most youtube reviews show the amp's true colours despite what the person reviewing them might say during the review. Some people set the bar high when giving a review and some don't, that's common sense...i'd personally prefer if they just shut up and play so the amp can speak for itself.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
Most youtube reviews show the amp's true colours despite what the person reviewing them might say during the review. Some people set the bar high when giving a review and some don't, that's common sense...i'd personally prefer if they just shut up and play so the amp can speak for itself.

Not true at all. There's very few youtube demos of an amp that I'll even watch. Basically unless the amp is being recorded seperately and then edited into the video I don't bother. No audio/video set up can accurately capture an amp's sound the way a dedicated audio set up can.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Not true at all. There's very few youtube demos of an amp that I'll even watch. Basically unless the amp is being recorded seperately and then edited into the video I don't bother. No audio/video set up can accurately capture an amp's sound the way a dedicated audio set up can.

+311 i won't even bother to click if there isn't a decent looking setup (mic on stand at speaker), unless it looks well produced i don't bother. not worth my time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by tubetime86

It will give you a fairly good idea, as long as it's not recorded with some kids webcam. Even most digital cameras have half decent audio recording capabilities, so long as the amp isn't cranked up to concert volumes. If I was looking to see which setup could perform effectively in a gig situation, of course youtube vids are useless, but for studio volume common recording technology will do just fine.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
+311 i won't even bother to click if there isn't a decent looking setup (mic on stand at speaker), unless it looks well produced i don't bother. not worth my time.

please stop pretending you have high standards. It's one thing to offer advice, it's another to sound like a pompous douche when clearly your "not good enough for me" delusions of grandeur are a side effect of your meds.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig

please stop pretending you have high standards. It's one thing to offer advice, it's another to sound like a pompous douche when clearly your "not good enough for me" delusions of grandeur are a side effect of your meds.

you are the one with the problem. the only thing that my meds are giving me at the moment is a nice buzz. Johnny Walker Blue Label. ever tried it? maybe i am a "pompous douche" but mostly to you, because you always act like a little bitch. i don't really have problems with too many other people. here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i am going to help you out. if i were you, i would pick up a mic for the acoustic, mic it up and run it through a cheap but decent quality mixer and a good powered PA monitor (you don't need two even). that would give you the best tone IMO pending PA moniter and mic quality.

that would also put you a leg up because you would have a start to a PA. having at least somewhat of a PA makes you more desirable for finding bands.

i hear very few acoustic electrics that sound good. and at that amount of money it takes to get a good sounding acoustic electric, the above would be just as good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!