Im just looking at getting my eldest a 3/4 electric guitar, I assume I just use regular strings for it. Albeit they'll obviously be cut down more?
That is correct, although, you might want to use thicker gauges to keep them at a manageable tension. I couldn't give any recommendations though, I've never had to string a 3/4 guitar.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'd go with 9ga (light) electric guitar strings. You can cut a guitar string down as far as you'd like to go; assuming you wind then into tune first.
Guitar Center Tech: We'll replace it if you drop it, run it over, spill beer on it-
Jay (Bass): We spill beer!
Myself: Okay, yeah, I'll do the Gold Coverage.
Quote by SonicTheShreder
I'd go with 9ga (light) electric guitar strings.

*facepalm
Strike that. 10ga would be better to hold tension on a smaller scale guitar.
Guitar Center Tech: We'll replace it if you drop it, run it over, spill beer on it-
Jay (Bass): We spill beer!
Myself: Okay, yeah, I'll do the Gold Coverage.
my brother used to have a 3/4 strat when he was a kid, and we always strung it up with 9's (the trem was blocked), and it worked just fine. it definitely played better with 10's, but the 9's were really easy for his little hands to manage.

if you're kid can manage to play 10's, use them. otherwise, 9's will definitely work
file a couple small notches beside the factory notches in the nut, string the thread through the tuner, tie the open end in a knot, and loop it back to the bridge. bam, do it yourself 12 string.

disclaimer: probably not a good idea
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
12 sting - nice one mike!

I have a 3/4 and I'm not sure I would recommend it to a kid unless they were Really young, like 6 or so. Often 3/4 scale guitars have full width on the neck, so the benefit to small hands is minimal. Most 10 year olds can handle a full size acoustic guitar with a bit of struggling. There are some kinda-small-body electric guitars with full scale necks.

3/4 scale guitars are much harder to tune and intonate than a full scale guitar. This hinders the student's ability to develop a good sense of in or out of tune. That isn't always a bad thing, depending on the kid's personality. Some people need to experience a wide tolerance in order to enjoy what they are doing, so they dont get depressed about their mistakes. In other people this just leads to frustration because no matter how hard they try its never perfect.

Thin, short strings are more affected by finger pressure than long strings. My ear has been improving, and I can tell that my 3/4 needs a lot of attention to appropriate pressure. Thicker strings would make this guitar less sensitive. A couple years ago I wouldn't have cared if it was in tune or not! But turn it up and add some good distortion and the 3/4 can be a lot of fun. Pretend its jazz and you're golden.
i play with a 2004 Fender strat JR 3/4 size made in mexico and use .48 to compensate the smaller scale 22.75 ... unless you wont have enough tension . you cant use 9/42 .. .46 is borderline .. .48 is the best .

you defenatly need a bigger string gauge for short scale . dont expect them to stay in tune unless you switch tuners ( im talking about the cheap squier mini , they need a few update to become real instrument ) .

if you can score a 2004 ( only year they made them around christmas ) , the Fender strat JR is the best guitars far as 3/4 scale goes . But are impossible to find . mine is for sale but i want 425 $ for it since its upgraded with american deluxe Fender locking tuners and a seymour duncan hot rails .

So just go with a squier mini and update it . tuners mostly otherwise .. if its for a kid he wont notice the difference .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 6, 2012,
My friend put 12's on his Mikro Destroyer and they play like 10's, so @kangaxxter is 100% correct on that. And before dumping money into new machine heads, try stringing your guitar using the locking string wind method. That makes a big improvement on tuning stability. Having the correct amount of wraps (between 3 and 4) and stretching your strings also helps because if your winds and strings aren't stable then your strings will slip.

All my guitars stay in tune well because I string and stretch properly. Also, my winds look really neat and cool
Last edited by uncle_sprinter at Jan 7, 2012,