Budget? - Looking not to spend more than $700 for a good, full time amp that I'll never want to replace

Genres? - Right now I'm really into classical and acoustic but I'd like an amp capable of doing anything

New or Used? - No preference.

Home or Gig? - Both, want something versatile.

Closest City? - TX, Austin, San Antonio

Current Gear? - Yamaha NTX700 Nylon/Acoustic (Has preamp) My understanding is that for classical or acoustic this guitar sounds better plugged than mic'd, although I haven't yet had the opportunity to really do any experimentation.

Note; I'm also wanting to get two microphones to compliment this, as well as have the ability to plug in at least 1 more instrument. I'm not familiar with what bands usually use but I'd like to eventually have the ability to have buds come over and bring just their instruments and plug into my stuff so if someone could fill me in on the typical gear a band might use and how it all ties in together, just the basics, I would appreciate it because honestly I don't know if what I'm looking for is actually an amp or something entirely different. Thanks!

e/
If anybody has any suggestions on a pair of headphones that'd be great as well.
Last edited by awesomeusername at Jan 6, 2012,
If you're doing acoustic/classical stuff, I'd say you need a DI box. They should go for under $100. You'll need a cord for the guitar out put and then a cord for the out on the DI into the board. Make sure you've got the right ends on your cords too. DI boxes usually have both 1/4 jacks and XLR. IMO the XLR is best into the board. Into and out of the DI should make much of a difference.

As far as mic's go, SM57 and 58 (don't remember prices) are pretty much industry standards for micing anything. Sennheiser (sp?) makes some really good instrument mics as well. I'm looking at Sennheiser for an amp mic.

Aim your mic about 6 in away from your guitar pointed just down and away from the sound hole. This is usually how we do it in the studio (mic and DI). Not sure how it works live.

THERE IS A SWEET SPOT!!! Every guitar is different and if you're micing it, you'll have to search for it. That is just the general area to start with.

If you're using 2, amin the second just past the 12th fret, assuming its on the body (heard this one in an article in Premier Guitar mag haven't tried it yet myself).

Sometimes you'll get lucky and the sound guy will help out with all of this. Just make sure you're cool with them regardless... they ultimately control your sound!

As far as acoustic amps, I know Fender makes some that I keep seeing around so its probably not bad and Bose makes an acoustic rig as well. But that's all I can tell you about that.

The last amp you'll ever buy for $700 is a tall order my friend! Vox AC30s are pretty cool and versatile. Used maybe in your price range. Not sure what to tell you though... not much here to go on...
Last edited by bpdeem at Jan 7, 2012,
honestly, although it might take some time to find one, but try to find a roland jc120. if you are not aware of it they are legendary amps, they have been the standard for clean tone for decades. i was able to grab one at a shop after having it sent to me from another location, but you can find them on craigslist or ebay, just ask around. they don't make them anymore so they are just on the used market, and the nice thing is that they really don't cost that much, i got mine for $500.

if you need a CLEAN amp, your search stops there, although its solid state they are the best solid state amp you can get, and it's a big amp but its really not that heavy.

good luck

E
Quote by bpdeem

As far as mic's go, SM57 and 58 (don't remember prices) are pretty much industry standards for micing anything. Sennheiser (sp?) makes some really good instrument mics as well. I'm looking at Sennheiser for an amp mic.

the e609 by sennheiser is a standard mic for gtr amps, every guitarist has one in their bag on a gig just in case, i suggest that one...

and yeah the 57 and 58 are standards that are still used for your everyday run of the mill musical endeavour, theyre not your fancy $1000 condensor with the tube preamp, but they are the most reliable mics around, and they are only $100 each