Trying to learn the difference b/t a rack-mounted effect vs a pedal. Why would someone use a rack-mounted effect when they could just use a pedal. I don't understand the difference b/t these things.
Quote by Bullitt9919
Trying to learn the difference b/t a rack-mounted effect vs a pedal. Why would someone use a rack-mounted effect when they could just use a pedal. I don't understand the difference b/t these things.

Rack mounted effects are generally more in-depth than a pedal because they have larger space to work with and less concern about durability...

But many rack set ups have pedals in what's called a 'pedal drawer.' These are patched into the rack system and are generally midi operated using a floorboard interface to engage them.

Basically if you are setting up a complex, live-use rig with a need for the most versatility and portability and little concern for price you'll generally go rack. If you are looking to just put together a simple, cost effective set up individuals pedals are more common.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ok. Now I get it. So here's why I asked: I need to get this distortion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFYVAntpw0

Specifically 2:49 - 3:15.

I've got a 50-watt Marshall 50AVT combo amp. I use a Lado (Canadian-made) with EMG's. Just can't get that tone. I know I can't replicate it perfectly, but would like to get much closer. Advice?
you certainly won't need a rack full of fx to get that sound. your amp and pickups are wrong though. they were using JCM 800s and passive pups plus a little delay and probably chorus. you need a more tube sound for starters. your AVT just plain can't dulplicate the basic tone. the rest is just a little experimenting until you find the righth settings.
It comes into play when you want to go from one sound with delay, reverb, and chorus.... then switch to another tone that just has some compression. With individual pedals it would take 4 foot presses to change (5 if you're also switching amp channels). With a rack setup you can switch it all with one press on a midi controller. It takes some programming, but once you get it all set up, there's nothing easier. VERY useful for live playing.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by monwobobbo
you certainly won't need a rack full of fx to get that sound. your amp and pickups are wrong though. they were using JCM 800s and passive pups plus a little delay and probably chorus. you need a more tube sound for starters. your AVT just plain can't dulplicate the basic tone. the rest is just a little experimenting until you find the righth settings.

Ummmm I have a avt150H and dont have any problem getting any tone I want with it. In fact it goes to Skid row very good. Even hits Tesla on the nuts.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
MIDI can work with a lot of heads and combo's I think.

A lot of new stuff is like that. A good way to go. I use a old RP1 to switch a 256xl....very cool I can get 8 different changes with one touch of a button. But it took a long time to get it figured out, that was a pain.
Pedals are easier to change on the fly though like if you need to change because a room is acting different to your effects.
And now they have floor units that are like rack units but you can tweak setting easier too. Knobs instead of scrolling thru a menu and using buttons.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Ummmm I have a avt150H and dont have any problem getting any tone I want with it. In fact it goes to Skid row very good. Even hits Tesla on the nuts.

Then how about rather than just starting an argument you make a suggestion to the TS?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by danvwman

ok then give some suggestions to the OP. it's been my experience that the AVT series amps don't really nail the older marshall sounds all that well. he's also using active pups which often don't work as well with mainly SS amps such as the AVT.

by the way nice axes listed in your profile.
I think I've always avoided learning about the nuances of active vs passive pups (I thought actives necessarily provided more gain but I'm guessing that's an incorrect assumption) FX like compression, delay (thought it was just for some echo but I've had a few people suggest using delay for the solo which doesn't echo) rack-mounted vs pedals....

so buying a JMP-1 may be overkill??? I've tried using a Metal Zone but I don't think it has alot of warmth
Quote by danvwman

If only everyone was as good as you, then we'd all use AVT heads instead of spending thousands on these dumb tube amp rigs.

TS, racks are a lot more in-depth than pedals, and can be higher quality. They're also more convenient for live playing since you can switch multiple effects on at once with them, whereas pedals are more difficult to do so in a straight up set-up.

As far as amps go, the JCM 800 is pretty much what you want for any '80s sound (Motley Crue, Skid Row, Guns n' Roses, etc)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If only everyone was as good as you, then we'd all use AVT heads instead of spending thousands on these dumb tube amp rigs.

TS, racks are a lot more in-depth than pedals, and can be higher quality. They're also more convenient for live playing since you can switch multiple effects on at once with them, whereas pedals are more difficult to do so in a straight up set-up.

As far as amps go, the JCM 800 is pretty much what you want for any '80s sound (Motley Crue, Skid Row, Guns n' Roses, etc)

I agree with the JCM800 statement but we all dont have that kind of cash. And I am pointing out I have no problem getting those tones with my head/cab/guitar combos without a lot of effects. And since I have picked up the AVT I have been using LESS effects. I allso have a Marshall 9000 preamp that is all solid stae that does a fabulous job on 80s hair metal and more. And I am not a virtuoso or anything like that.
What the hell!!!
Thanks, Raijouta. Will the JCM800 2x12 combo do? Or does it have to be separate units? I've never really understood the head with amp vs combo, designs. Obviously there's a reason, otherwise why not just combine 100 watt cabs with the heads? Why continue to separate the units? But again, will a JCM800 2x12 suffice? http://www.blamepro.com/br01355.htm
Quote by tubetime86
Then how about rather than just starting an argument you make a suggestion to the TS?

look right above your reply I think if it was a jcm8002x12 combo you may want to seal the back of the cab. It could be the Mass of 4x12 air giving this tone too.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
look right above your reply

No I mean if you (and potentially he) can get those tones from an AVT then why don't you tell him how? He won't need help with rack vs pedals if he can get the sound he wants... But you seem more interested in discussing the original question, which is now moot.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you basically said 'I know the answer' then refused to give it.

Here's his question again:

Quote by Bullitt9919
Ok. Now I get it. So here's why I asked: I need to get this distortion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFYVAntpw0

Specifically 2:49 - 3:15.

I've got a 50-watt Marshall 50AVT combo amp. I use a Lado (Canadian-made) with EMG's. Just can't get that tone. I know I can't replicate it perfectly, but would like to get much closer. Advice?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 6, 2012,
A combo amp versus head and separate cab?

Carry enough of them and you'll know.

While the amp chassis of a combo may be the same as the chassis of the same model head and will weigh the same, a combo usually features 1 or 2 speakers although there are many with 4 speakers.

Very large 4x10 combo amps are heavy and awkward to carry. So are 4x12 cabs by themselves. And so are 2x15's.

By splitting the amp from the speakers, the pieces are easier to carry.

Not only is portability an issue, but if one part of a combo amp goes bad and cannot be fixed on the spot, often the whole unit is out of commission.

With a head and cab, one part goes bad, another can be substituted.

Cabs rarely go bad compared to amps. It is easier to carry two heads and one cab versus two combos.

I like my 50w Sovtek head with a 1x12 because they are close in weight. One in each hand makes for a balanced stroll.
Well Try OD2 with the scoop on gain6-8 volume at 6-8and B11M6ishT8 presance all the way down
What the hell!!!
Well Try OD2 with the scoop on gain6-8 volume at 6-8and B11M6ishT8 presance all the way down master volume at 7
What the hell!!!