Ok so I have a question that might not have an easy answer but is something that has been plaguing me for over a year. In order to accurately describe it I need to put it into a song context. I have been playing, learning, trying to nail down the Shinedown version of Simple Man. Yeah I know I've posted about this before but I abandoned that song in favor of some other stuff for awhile. Anyway, as you know the song is a fairly simple picked out chord progression in Amin. Walk up on the A string then into a C chord, then a G then an Am chord then repeat. My problem is there is a strumming part where you strum Amin for about 3 times then onto a G chord. For this song, and all other songs with an open G chord, my G chord sounds far too bright and fat! It's very hard to describe. My fingering is correct, no strings are being muted, all strings ring out just fine but the chord sounds... well... just very bright and airy. Almost like a maj7 chord instead of an open G. Has anyone else found that some of your chords just ehhhhhh don't quite sound like what they need to? Or sound like the actual song? Funny cause with me it's only the G chord but I assure you I'm not playing it wrong. The tone is just not clicking with me if you know what I mean. Any suggestions? Am I being just too critical?

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Try and play a different fingering, or try strumming it with the fleshy part of your finger instead of with a pick. If all fails, try a heavier gauge string.
Had same issue which ****ed with my vocals. Try hitting harder on bottom strings and less on high strings.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Thanks to all! I'm going to go with lighter strumming and without the pick for awhile and play around with it. I would consider heavier strings but have been down that road and had the same issue. I will let you all know how this works out. Thanks again!

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
There are two common ways of doing an open G chord:

and

Does changing what you're doing on the B-string fix the problem at all? I vastly prefer the variant with a D on the G string, but understand what you're doing: replacing a major third with a fifth - in other words, reducing the "major" component of the chord and making it more power-chordy.

Another possibility is that they're not playing the low G note - haven't listened to the song but G/B works really well between and open C and a Amin, so that might be what's going on.