Okay, I'm sure much, if not all of what I'm about to say has been stated before, but I just realized something that many musicians seem to ignore when they're in a musical/creative rut. I'm not sure if this would help with technique, necessarily, but it has helped me overcome my writer's block at the moment. Also, I'm sure many of you with experience know this already, but maybe it's time to remind yourself?

To start off, I've been in a musical/creative rut for a long time. AKA writer's block. This has been tormenting me for weeks, if not months now and it was time for a change. Obviously, I was doing something wrong.

Then, it hit me: Why should I be trying to play stuff that's way too hard for me, when I've already got enough skill to write my own stuff? So, I warmed up, stretched out, and started fiddling...

I came up with some pretty sweet riffs and licks simply by playing stuff that I know I can play, but haven't really tried to do. I always saw it as "too simple." That was a big mistake. I also started playing more randomly and came up with some pretty cool things too. Some of it sounded like complete shit, other stuff sounded amazing.

tl;dr If you've got writer's block, stop trying to play stuff that's really hard and focus on what you know or believe that you can do. Write simple, almost completely random riffs and licks that would be easy to learn. Simple quarter notes or eighth notes would do the trick, and the reward of feeling free with your instrument again is amazing.

I'm not sure how well I covered this, but if someone with more experience would like to elaborate on it or better write it for understanding, feel free. Thanks for reading.
Unfortuneatly, this doesn't work for me. I have to acctually work if I want to produce any music - fiddiling around is great for getting some new ideas or just practicing overall dexeterity - but as far as composing peices:

I have to find a lesson, learn a technique, practice it, master it, then apply it. Not only do I have to apply it, but I have to take the time to make it work with the other techniques I've learned.

Quite frankly, I don't really get anywhere unless I have some sort of direction.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Yea i just came up with a riff that i like, I'm gonna make a few more and get a song together
Unfortunately, it seems as though making a song is much more difficult than that, unless you keep the same riff throughout the whole song. Structuring is more difficult than it seems (at least to me) and making parts work together can be difficult as well.
Music doesn't have to be difficult. If you can play three chords you can write your own music.

Three chords for an intro, perhaps change it up for the chorus, and again for the bridge. Repeat and finish. BAM, with three chords you have a song.

Yes it may be a very boring song but its a song. I find that just by putting stuff together you are more likely to find something that fits. If you dont try anything then you wont find anything.

Like the OP said about some was crap and some was good. You have to experiment a bit to find out what works.
Quote by MEGADETHGOD
Music doesn't have to be difficult. If you can play three chords you can write your own music.

Word. Listen to Bob Dylan, the guy pretty much sucked at guitar, he couldn't really sing but he did, and his songs are pretty damn good.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
that's what happened to me...i always had these random ideas even when i was bored at a class...driving home or even when when i was having tha sex with the gf...
they always sounded amazing, i recorded them and well, they turned into songs with the help of some people...

BUT...it's been like a year since i can't get anything, i start fiddling around, listening to some bands, even using their structures and shit...and nothing...i think my imagination is done and i will not compose anything ever...

besides, i don't think that what i already know will help me build something or finish a song or anything...

any ideas, besides the tip from the TS
Quote by rubbert
that's what happened to me...i always had these random ideas even when i was bored at a class...driving home or even when when i was having tha sex with the gf...
they always sounded amazing, i recorded them and well, they turned into songs with the help of some people...

BUT...it's been like a year since i can't get anything, i start fiddling around, listening to some bands, even using their structures and shit...and nothing...i think my imagination is done and i will not compose anything ever...

besides, i don't think that what i already know will help me build something or finish a song or anything...

any ideas, besides the tip from the TS

Try learning some theory? That's another thing that helped me.