Hi guys, first post so forgive me ;
I'm looking to buy my first real amp, as I have a shitty spider III 15 that I practice with.

Im willing to spend around 500 dollars and I'm willing to buy used. I play a wide range, from blues to pink floyd to zeppelin and to iron maiden, and i guess im looking for versatility in tone.
i also prefer a tube amp.

Thanks in advance
check out the peavey vypyr tube 60.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I second the Vypyr Tube. It's a modeling amp that is of course tube so it will suit your needs for multiple genres. Modeling amps are also good for finding your own sound. The Vypyr series is one of the best. Spiders just don't cut it. But where are you located because you could get a good deal on the amp with the foot pedal which would give you easier access to change the sounds up.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by romeozdistress
check out the peavey vypyr tube 60.

My friend is in love with the vypyr 120. I am somewhat wary of modelling amps, although i dont really now much about them. My only experience with them is with line 6's and i dislike them.

also, is there an advantage to getting a head and cab over a combo unit?
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I second the Vypyr Tube. It's a modeling amp that is of course tube so it will suit your needs for multiple genres. Modeling amps are also good for finding your own sound. The Vypyr series is one of the best. Spiders just don't cut it. But where are you located because you could get a good deal on the amp with the foot pedal which would give you easier access to change the sounds up.

located in austin, texas. Would you recommend the 120 for gigging?
Quote by chiggy_77
My friend is in love with the vypyr 120. I am somewhat wary of modelling amps, although i dont really now much about them. My only experience with them is with line 6's and i dislike them.

also, is there an advantage to getting a head and cab over a combo unit?

Unless you are talking line 6/bogner tube amps, line 6 is the worst company to bass your opinion on modelling amps off of. Modelling has come a long way and when you don't have thousands of dollars to spend on super high end amps and effects pedals, good modelling amps get you the best bang for your buck.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by chiggy_77
located in austin, texas. Would you recommend the 120 for gigging?

Dude I gig with a 20 watt amp and I'm fine. Just get the 60. You'll be fine. But are you sure you want tonal variety if you're gigging? Sounds like something more marshally would suit you fine too.
IMO the only advantage to a head cab configuration is the ability to use different heads with different cabs, for those who are unable to change speakers, or for whatever reason don't.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Jan 6, 2012,
another friend recommended the blue voodoo halfstack. any thoughts on this?
The Blue Voodoo is highly underrated in my opinion but they do require a bit of tweaking(as do all Crate amps IMO) so at first I could see it being frustrating. If you go for this option The Blue Voodoo that is actually blue sounds better. They also come in 60 watt combos with 2 12 inch speakers.
Quote by barden1069
You DO NOT Want to get a modeling"tube" amp, youll find yourself wanting to get rid of it soon....
Get an amp that'll last and sound good ... the blue voodoo looks good, id suggest a fender hot rod deluxe for more clean/blues stuff ,but a halfstack or a marshall is the way to go for you..
PEAVEY VALVE KING Halfstack is a great affordable ,loud ass amp....
Marshall MA50C is a great tube marshall...but theyre hard to find now
Quote by thesexiestofall
You DO NOT Want to get a modeling"tube" amp,

so true!! you should definatly get a tube if u wanna gigg, and if you want modelling you can always buy a pod later...
Quote by thesexiestofall
You DO NOT Want to get a modeling"tube" amp, youll find yourself wanting to get rid of it soon....
Get an amp that'll last and sound good ... the blue voodoo looks good, id suggest a fender hot rod deluxe for more clean/blues stuff ,but a halfstack or a marshall is the way to go for you..

While I do see your point here TS did say he plays a wide variety. The Vypyr Tube is not a bad amp at all either.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by thesexiestofall

lol no

Get a JCA20h + 1x12 cab.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
So does anyone have nay experience buying used amps from guitar enter or from a pawn shop?
I've bought used stuff from GC - just go down to your local GC and buy it there. If it's at a different store they'll ship it to you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can probably manage the Peavey Windsor head and 4x12 cab for that price, killer amp, based on the legendary Marshall JCM800.
I didnt mention that I would really like the amp to sound good at bedroom levels, since ill be practicing with it and I live in an apartment complex. right now im leaning towards a valveking head and maybe a used avatar cab that i found for 200 bucks. Any other suggestions?
why not the combo? you can find the 212 combos for under 400 used.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm gonna say a Jet City JCA5012. They're 600 bucks and basically have an SLO's overdrive channel.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by romeozdistress
why not the combo? you can find the 212 combos for under 400 used.

It would definitely make life alot easier. I've been reading alot of shit slinging about the speaker in the valveking. If i were considerind a Jet City jca20h, would anyone be able to recommend a good cheap 1x12?
Quote by Any7423
You can probably manage the Peavey Windsor head and 4x12 cab for that price, killer amp, based on the legendary Marshall JCM800.

I think the Windsor has been discontinued, but I've seen them new at zzsounds.com

I got mine used on Craig's List for $300.00 with the matching cabinet... I like mine..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
americanmusicsupply has a windsor combo on sale for $350 and zzounds has the jet city 20 watt combo for $300.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ill have to go and check out a windsor then. I could get a jca22h with a matching jca12s cab for about 500. I could also get a Tiny Terror with matching cab for that price on craigslist. Cant find a used jca5212 anywhere, and the Windsor and Valve King are also up for consideration. Ive been hearing really great things about Jet City, though....
yeah me too. kustom has some cheap tube amps too. they have a 5 watt head for $99 and a 15 watt for $199.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah me too. kustom has some cheap tube amps too. they have a 5 watt head for $99 and a 15 watt for $199.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but I thought that Kustom's were a little more metal/gainy kind of amp. I was impressed with the Jet City's versatility, to be honest.
this could be perfect two channels and vintagey tones - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca2212c-20w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76847000001000

{EDIT] also 15% off aswell
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Last edited by Mybleedinglung8 at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by chiggy_77
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but I thought that Kustom's were a little more metal/gainy kind of amp. I was impressed with the Jet City's versatility, to be honest.

i was told those heads wouldnt be good enough for metal. so i dunno, havent tried them bud.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
My only qualm against a combo is that I will be moving overseas in 1.5 years, and I would like to take at least the head with me. The combo would be hard to bring along
that should do it bro.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A