Fender has expanded the Blacktop line of instruments for 2012. The Blacktop Series, if you don't know, is a low-cost range that feature more powerful pickups and in more popular, but less traditional (for Fender) configurations. The reviews have been generally good on the series, as the pretty much share all their components with the Standard series. The biggest nit is that the stock humbuckers aren't powerful enough for some of the "heavier" metals.

So, here are the new models:

First off is a new Blacktop HSH Stratocaster, with a Telecaster neck pickup in the middle position. It says 5 way switching, so are the HBs split/tapped in those positions? IDK, what do you guys think?

Next, there's a new Blacktop Baritone HSS Telecaster. This looks like it'll be a pretty nice drop/down tuning guitar (factory set-up in B standard), but that depends on the clarity of those single coils. Anyone else have high hopes for this one?

Finally, we've got a new take on one of the previous Blacktop models: the Blacktop Jaguar 90. Take a Blacktop Jaguar and throw p-90s in it. Genius? Probably. Too similar to the Modern Player Jaguar? Well, what do you guys think?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jan 6, 2012,
I wanted to get the Blacktop strat for a while, I didn't eventually. It's AWESOME that they've now got one with a single coil in the middle. the jag with P90s will be cool, the tele looks Ok I suppose. I'm most in pressed with the Strat, that thing looks amazing!
Gear:

Electric Guitars:
Squier Bullet Strat
Ibanez RG350MDX
Gibson SG

Acoustic Guitars:
Tanglewood Roadster

Pedals:
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic

Amp:
Vox VT40 Plus Valvetronix

R.I.P Cobain, Burton, Dio, Bonham, Mercury
New from Fender announced at NAMM 12.

50th Ann. AVRI Jaguars w/blocks/binding in Burgundy Mist, Candy Apple Red, and Lake Placid Blue
$1749.99 MAP

Kurt Cobain Mustang w/Duncan JB in the bridge and a tune-o-matic in Fiesta Red, Sonic Blue, and Lake Placid Blue w/stripes (all finishes available lefty)
$999.99 MAP

Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster w/Duncan Designed lipstick pickups and available in Sonic Blue, Surf Green, and Candy Apple Red
$299.99 MAP

Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special w/JM neck pickup and JM neck in white blond or butterscotch
$299.99 MAP

There are apparantly some more but i dont have info on them.

Edit: this has been discussed on acpaella harmony central forum and offsetguitars forum so that is where i got these pics and info from.
Last edited by RiseTheFallen at Jan 6, 2012,
Love the surf Squier and the HSH strat looks nice too

Great that they're doing all these different pickup combinations
The HSH strat is quite cool but i don't really like covers on strats. They should do cream open one! be rad for maiden fans.
im liking that tele baritone. if the thing sounds anything like what im hearing in my head right now, my collection will expand...
I think Fender is doing a lot of interesting and cool things as of late. i have always like fender and it seems like they are really bringing out some great stuff for the community.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Eh might buy a blacktop strat body to mod but they don't really strike my fancy. I'm liking the Kurt Mustang though.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
You type like an adbot

edit: anyway, these are pretty cool. Especially the Jaguar with P90's.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Last edited by moscaespañol at Jan 6, 2012,
I have been looking at the Modern Player Jag, so this new one seems a little too much like it if you ask me.
Ibanez SR1200E
The Kurt Mustang was inevitable.

Jag looks nice, worth a good play.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by RiseTheFallen
New from Fender announced at NAMM 12.

50th Ann. AVRI Jaguars w/blocks/binding in Burgundy Mist, Candy Apple Red, and Lake Placid Blue
$1749.99 MAP

Kurt Cobain Mustang w/Duncan JB in the bridge and a tune-o-matic in Fiesta Red, Sonic Blue, and Lake Placid Blue w/stripes (all finishes available lefty)
$999.99 MAP

Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster w/Duncan Designed lipstick pickups and available in Sonic Blue, Surf Green, and Candy Apple Red
$299.99 MAP

Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special w/JM neck pickup and JM neck in white blond or butterscotch
$299.99 MAP

There are apparantly some more but i dont have info on them.

Edit: this has been discussed on acpaella harmony central forum and offsetguitars forum so that is where i got these pics and info from.

These were only previewed at NAMM 12, not officially announced. They do stuff like that because it's a trade show. I'd expect to see more about these around March or April, if not in the next week or two.

EDIT: Oops, I'm wrong about this. They'll probably be officially announced in some capacity in the next few days. I was just thinking they previewed the Dick Dale Acoustic (and others) at NAMM 11 but they weren't even released until the summer.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jan 7, 2012,
they seem really cool i like that fender is finally doing new stuff

and i tihnk the blacktop jag is sexier than the modern player one by far.

KC stang is nice as well...a cheaper alternative for nirvana fanboys than the KC jaguar
i've tried the HSH strat and it was ok the tele pup in the middle didn't do much for me. none of the pickups are really all that metal/shred oriented. guitar did play nice though. for rock and hard rock (think 70s) it was pretty decent. probably not going to compete well with similar priced Ibanez's or other more metal oriented guitars though.