Hi there!
I'm going to buy my first electric guitar (I started playing folk guitar 6 months ago).
I'd like to buy an Epiphone Les Paul, but I can't understand the differences between Studio and Standard.
I can see the studio is less decorated, but are there any differences in the pick-up quality and in the sound?
My friends and the owner of the shop near my house suggested me to buy a Fender Super Champ XD 15W Amp, I tried it and it seemed to sound very well!
Could you give me any suggestions?
I'm Italian and my budget is around 300€ for the guitar, I found:

-Les Paul Studio - Worn Cherry 219€
-Les Paul Standard Mahogany Limited Edition 301€
-Les Paul Standard Ebony 269€
-Fender Super Champ XD 259€

Are they good prices?

Thanks for your answers
The only difference between the Studio and Standard version is that, believe me or not, the cool looking top on the Standard is probably nothing but a sticker that costs 80€. If I was in your position I'd get the Studio.

The prices you listed seem pretty good to me.

The Super Champ is also a nice practice amp, but I would look into other possibilities too. If you don't need to have an amp, you could buy a multi effects processor and headphones too, which is a great alternative.

Cheers
Quote by Jyrgen
The only difference between the Studio and Standard version is that, believe me or not, the cool looking top on the Standard is probably nothing but a sticker that costs 80€. If I was in your position I'd get the Studio.

The prices you listed seem pretty good to me.

The Super Champ is also a nice practice amp, but I would look into other possibilities too. If you don't need to have an amp, you could buy a multi effects processor and headphones too, which is a great alternative.

Cheers

Studio Pickups are as good as standard pickups??
the les paul studio is the dame.
for someone whose buying there first amp any amp will sound good, once your hearing improves and adjusts youll find out whether you really like it (im not saying that you wont like it). what music do you want to play, we can sugget what amp to get with more like that.
Quote by HeroMedea
Studio Pickups are as good as standard pickups??

I can guarantee that.

Also, as you are a beginner, keep in mind that in general, the differences between pickups are not too evident when playing through modelling or solid state gear as opposed to tube amps.

The amp always makes the majority of your tone and various pickups are like for fine-tuning your sound.
Quote by itamar100
the les paul studio is the dame.
for someone whose buying there first amp any amp will sound good, once your hearing improves and adjusts youll find out whether you really like it (im not saying that you wont like it). what music do you want to play, we can sugget what amp to get with more like that.

I'd like a versatile one 'cause I listen to different groups and different kind of music:

System of a Down, Green Day, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Guns n' Roses, Iron Maiden, Rhapsody of Fire, Bryan Adams, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dropkick Murphys, Black Sabbath and so on...

They told me that amp was a really versatile one...I don't know if it's true
The Super Champ is defiantly NOT just a practice amp! I have done small gigs with it before, and the "voices" on it are awesome (especially Voice #8, which is an Overdriven Marshall Stack). Mine needs a new Power Amp Tube right now, so I've been using Guitar Rig 5 recently, but I miss it dearly.

So yeah, I would recommend the Super Champ XD.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
I don't know much about the super champ but it seems quite cool. Most of the bands you mentioned use British voiced amps so I'd recommend a Vox Valvetronix vt20+. I've tried it and it's a pretty awesome modeling amp that should get you a while load of different tones. I can't recommend the fender superchamp cos I haven't tried it.
I'd get a Standard. Studio's just aren't as nice. It is an actual maple top. So that sticker BS speaks for itself.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
the guitars are the same, but the studio version didn't put any effort into making it look pretty.

You don't get the nice finish, the maple veneer, the fancy fret markers, the headstock mother of pearl, or the chrome pickup covers.

other than that it's the same guitar, i believe.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd get a Standard. Studio's just aren't as nice. It is an actual maple top. So that sticker BS speaks for itself.

it's just a veneer. not even 1/4" thick.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
it's just a veneer. not even 1/4" thick.

looks better than boring old black.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Yes, but under the veneer is a plain maple top.
I'd get the standard.

no...the plain maple top is the veneer
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
no...the plain maple top is the veneer

Nope. He's right.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Nope. He's right.

I've sanded down and refinished a les paul custom

unless they use thicker maple in the less expensive models, the plain maple, or flame maple on the standard plus models, is a veneer that goes on top of the mahogany.
Quote by stepchildusmc
My standard im pretty sure had a prolly not even 1/4'' maple top. Cant say im 100% on the maple bit, as I sold it i remember it being much lighter color then mahog but then again I smoke alot of weed.
Hmmm. One would assume that it would be more like a Gibson.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Hmmm. One would assume that it would be more like a Gibson.

The biggest difference between epiphones and gibsons is the wood. Epiphone uses shit wood for their guitars.

Even though the epiphone specs say "solid mahogany" on most models, it's misleading. It's several pieces of mahogany glued together. So it's solid in the sense that it doesn't have mystery wood filler, but it's not solid in the sense that you would assume. When they say maple top, they mean there's maple on the top, not that it's a legitimate maple top. the thickness of the piece of maple they use on top is too thin to be considered anything except a veneer. but it's maple, and it's on top of the guitar, so they're technically not liars even if they are bending the truth.

Here's the epi with its top taken off. look at the holes where the pots go through, that's how thick the maple is. 1/4" at the most.

http://i39.tinypic.com/iglquc.jpg

Here's the back of the epi in the process of being sanded. You can clearly see where the "solid mahogany" is two pieces glued together.

http://i39.tinypic.com/68uahi.jpg

It was like that in several spots. Originally I had planned on giving it a wine red dye, but after seeing the wood underneath i gave it a solid colour to hide the atrocity.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Jan 6, 2012,
Interesting pics.

But when they say solid, what they mean is "not hollow".

There are many, many guitars with 2pc bodies. Even most Gibsons. Its purely because its ridiculously expensive and wasteful to only use 1pc bodies when 2pc bodies are the same for all intent of purpose. I seriously doubt it if you could hear a difference between a 1pc and a 2pc body.

In fact it would be impossible to confirm a difference because no 2 pieces of wood are the same density.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 6, 2012,
I still contend that in comparison to an all mahogony lp, my lp was much much brighter and i'd attribute that to the maple top. And again its like a photo thin veneer over a thin maple top. I wouldn't call the thin plain maple a veneer. The actual veneer is prolly 0.8-1.5 mm.

Edit. Take a 1 peice body, cut in half and glue it back together.
Theres results. But a huge waste...
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
The biggest difference between epiphones and gibsons is the wood. Epiphone uses shit wood for their guitars.

Even though the epiphone specs say "solid mahogany" on most models, it's misleading. It's several pieces of mahogany glued together. So it's solid in the sense that it doesn't have mystery wood filler, but it's not solid in the sense that you would assume. When they say maple top, they mean there's maple on the top, not that it's a legitimate maple top. the thickness of the piece of maple they use on top is too thin to be considered anything except a veneer. but it's maple, and it's on top of the guitar, so they're technically not liars even if they are bending the truth.

Here's the epi with its top taken off. look at the holes where the pots go through, that's how thick the maple is. 1/4" at the most.

http://i39.tinypic.com/iglquc.jpg

Here's the back of the epi in the process of being sanded. You can clearly see where the "solid mahogany" is two pieces glued together.

http://i39.tinypic.com/68uahi.jpg

It was like that in several spots. Originally I had planned on giving it a wine red dye, but after seeing the wood underneath i gave it a solid colour to hide the atrocity.

Solid means that it is not hollow or laminate (plywood). For example, there are no Fender bodies made out of one piece of wood. The more expensive, American models usually consists of 2 or 3 pieces of wood. The Mexico made Standard line is 4-5 pieces with veneer on top and back on the sunbursts.

Most Gibson also has this, even the Les Paul Standards (which ARE chambered, by the way). My Standard Faded is clearly made out of 2 pieces of mahogany with a 2 piece bookmatched maple top. All Traditionals I've seen has been 2 piece bodies, and the cheaper SG Fadeds often are 3.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I'd personally get the standard because the studio is just boring and ugly. When I open my guitar case I want to be able to say "Wow, this is MY guitar"! Not "this guitar sounds decent but I wish it was prettier". The aesthetics are worth the extra 70€ if you ask me.
I prefer the Standard... as far as practice amps, I can tell you from personal experience the Peavey Vypyr 15 is one of the most versatile (and affordable!) amps going...
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
Quote by itamar100
I'd personally get the standard because the studio is just boring and ugly. When I open my guitar case I want to be able to say "Wow, this is MY guitar"! Not "this guitar sounds decent but I wish it was prettier". The aesthetics are worth the extra 70€ if you ask me.

I think the Standard looks quite amazing (especially the Honey Burst) but for those who have an extremely limited budget (me!) I'll sacrifice the look to save a hundred bucks.
Quote by You Ruined It
I think the Standard looks quite amazing (especially the Honey Burst) but for those who have an extremely limited budget (me!) I'll sacrifice the look to save a hundred bucks.

Are You sure you couldn't wait a month and save up a bit of money?