I am a beginner/intermediate. I know all my scales, minor and major pentatonic, and minor and major, and i can play them in every key, my fastest (and still clean) speed being at about 16ths at 105 bpm (or i guess at 420 bpm). What are some nice solos that i could learn to help my technique and give me some nice musical ideas to mess around with as well? I want to be pushed a little bit, but not too much.
The main three that improved/shaped my lead playing were Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden, Trilogy Suite Op. 5 by Yngwie Malmsteen and Under a Glass Moon by Dream Theater, though that took me the best part of two years to perfect, as I only started it a year into my playing. Hallowed is definitely one to learn, as it's fast and pretty technical, it'll help your legato, bends and tapping, and the riffs make excellent technical exercise. I'd recommend doing Trilogy, that'll be incredibly difficult, I won't lie, however, it'll get you used to the Harmonic Minor scale, and show you a scale run which you may end up using many, many times, it's probably Yngwie's easiest 'shreddy' song, so it'll open the doors to Neoclassical, should that style of playing grab you like it once grabbed me. Under A Glass Moon is a bit of a grey area, it is one of the most challenging songs you'll come across, however, if you can cut it into sections and learn the easy bits, and slowing down the harder bits, it'll improve your playing a lot, and it'll get you used to solos that may have you changing positions rapidly, Dream Theater solos on the whole demand a mastery of nearly every lead technique you can imagine, so you should maybe put Glass Moon as your goal, to motivate you to improve.
Practice your fretting, I'm being dead serious here btw, grab your guitar and a decent chromatic tuner and play your scales and get in the habbit of playing every note perfectly in tune. Then get used to the feeling of playing the notes properly. speed doesn't mean shit if your mangling the notes and they all sound like crap.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I can play cleanly. it doesn't sound like crap, it sounds pretty good, it's just i want some songs to give me new licks that i could learn to help me with my creative expression. Also to help me get faster, but that doesn't mean that i am bad, just not as good as i want to be
If you let us know what music you like, it'd be easier to suggest solos. I don't think playing cleanly or having a really tight technique is that important. Not to me at least. My favourite guitarist is Jimmy Page. He is well known for being sloppy. Listen to the Heartbreaker solo. That's an absolute mess. It sounds like at the start of Communication Breakdown he goes slightly out of time. But, he is an absolute beast.

I think your phrasing is the thing you should work on most. Speed doesn't matter.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
If you let us know what music you like, it'd be easier to suggest solos. I don't think playing cleanly or having a really tight technique is that important. Not to me at least. My favourite guitarist is Jimmy Page. He is well known for being sloppy. Listen to the Heartbreaker solo. That's an absolute mess. It sounds like at the start of Communication Breakdown he goes slightly out of time. But, he is an absolute beast.

I think your phrasing is the thing you should work on most. Speed doesn't matter.

This is so wrong.

Tight playing is really important. How can you expect to be able to phrase things when your internal rhythm is off and you can't even stay in time with the pulse of a passage?

Famous guitarists are not infallible. Just because their records sell doesn't mean they're right. You can be the tightest player alive and still have impeccable phrasing without losing an ounce of musical or artistic integrity.
Not knowing what you like/dont like, or already know, here are a couple.

Crazy Train- Classic with tapping, bends, runs etc.
Enter Sandman- Maybe break out the wah and learn a new technique.

There is a lot of great advice here but I think the biggest thing to remember is to be YOURSELF. Take what you want from your hero's playing but don't loose your own way.