Hey guys, Im a circuit designer. Im newly out of school. My two hobbies are electronics and guitar. Im looking to design a guitar pedal and hopefully sell them after. Why I am here is to ask you guys what you want in a pedal? Think of anything that you wish you could stomp and have happen. Here is an idea I have:

All in one pedal (in large case) containing the following

Tube Screamer
Reverb (maybe with real spring)
Chorus
Kill switch

All with their own settings, wouldnt be some digital crap pushed together. It would each be a excellent pedal. I would base the tube screamer off the ibanez tube screamer and the other ones off popular circuits with some very useful mods. I would probably add a few more effects into this to give you a gig and go type setup. It would be a full excellent sounding pedal board without all the mess of pedals and chords. Putting it all together would save a ton of $.

What would be some pedals you guys would like to see in this and why?

Think of anything that would be a cool pedal and post it. No idea is stupid. Im here to try to make something that you guys would think is badass! Im going to design a PCB and have it professionally made along with a case. It will be a professional quality pedal.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Any ideas you have floating around could be a real pedal!

Just fyi, I am not working for any company and am doing this by myself. Prices on this would be very cheap as I wouldnt charge any premium on the pedal.

Thanks
Kevin
Something really hard
Adjustable reverb
Rare sounds
Noise filter
And is it possible some buttons to save the settings
I have yet to see anyone do a bitcrush pedal in an affordable way. HEXE has one but it seems pretty complicated and it's $300.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
only feedback i can think of at the moment because it's nearly 7 am... is don't make an all in one pedal. it's been done before.

I know you're saying it will be different, but it probably won't be. plus, a lot of people who enjoy an ibanez tube screamer might not like the ibanez ad9 , so if you put the same in one pedal you're limiting yourself on who will buy it.

and then, going more than 2, it gets worse.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by LesPaulGod98
Something really hard
Adjustable reverb
Rare sounds
Noise filter
And is it possible some buttons to save the settings

it would have knobs on it just like most pedals, no digital settings.

If you guys think a multi pedal is a bad idea, what other ideas do you have

I will also look at the flanger you are talking about.

Thanks for the input! keep going,
Kevin
Personally I prefer single pedals. That being said I love the Jekyll and Hyde haha. Maybe a Phaser and Flanger in one pedal though?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Personally I prefer single pedals. That being said I love the Jekyll and Hyde haha. Maybe a Phaser and Flanger in one pedal though?

i actually like the idea of a phaser/flanger. do one of those ts
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Soft, smooth distortion with a delay and a compressor, for space rock psychedellacy.
phaser flanger is a cool idea. Has anyone done a real spring reverb pedal like what the old fender amps had?
Like this?

Those things are like 600 dollars new if you buy it from Fender. I wonder how cheaply that could be made compared to the price they sell it for.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by kevilay
phaser flanger is a cool idea. Has anyone done a real spring reverb pedal like what the old fender amps had?

http://vanamps.com/products/sole-mate/

I wouldn't recommending putting a spring reverb unit on your pedal board though as if you knock it it'll give a big crashing sound where the springs hit the side of the tank.
hmm, maybe some sort of pad could be put into place to prevent this crashing from happening?
I think a drive/OD pedal with an effect built-in would be awesome, my personal choice would be a flanger like the Airplane Flanger, but without the 'take-off' option, just that particular sound. Does that sound do-able?
an analog delay pedal in a crybaby enclosure so you can control the delay time with your foot, allowing you better get and manipulate feedback/oscillation without having to turn a knob with your hand. If you could somehow add tap tempo that would be awesome.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
id love to have a good fuzz and a phase 90 in one pedal and an echo/reverb pedal
Quote by psychokiller99
an analog delay pedal in a crybaby enclosure so you can control the delay time with your foot, allowing you better get and manipulate feedback/oscillation without having to turn a knob with your hand. If you could somehow add tap tempo that would be awesome.

You can get an expression pedal to plug in to a bunch of different delay pedals (Boss has one, I can't remember the name, the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe has the option). However, that would still be a pretty cool concept. Like a Rotovibe but with delay.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
A cheap, simple reverb would sell like hotcakes.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I made a wah pedal once, its completely badass. Has all the tone adjustments right on the board, the q point. But wah pedal enclosures are expensive as hell. I want to stay away from a moving pedal enclosure. Thats something that needs to be mass produced to make 1, 5 or even 50 it would be way to expensive.

How about something like a Solo monster pedal. It could have a few seperate effects that when all together makes a nice solo sound. Maybe a bit of reverb, bit of a gain or level boost. Which could be controlled individually or flipped all on/off at the same time?

I gotta look for that airplane flanger schematic somewhere. Sometimes those things can be tough to locate. If you can find one i can build it
a distortion or overdrive with a wide range (bluesey boost to fattened tone to high gain) with separate switches to save ranges you like
Octave/detuner chorus/reverb. Either an octaver with mixing capabilities of wet and dry signal (so you can have the pure sound really loud, with it one octave down half the volume, and an octave above at quarter, but fully adjustable) or detuner (with normal vs detuned volumes of course) with a paired chorus or reverb.

Would make your guitar sound HUGE.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Octave/detuner chorus/reverb. Either an octaver with mixing capabilities of wet and dry signal (so you can have the pure sound really loud, with it one octave down half the volume, and an octave above at quarter, but fully adjustable) or detuner (with normal vs detuned volumes of course) with a paired chorus or reverb.

Would make your guitar sound HUGE.

That is a great idea, do you know of any high end octive pedals or detuners that sound good? So I can start with that.

My reasoning for having 2 or 3 pedals in one is because i believe it will be much much cheaper. To make a single case by the time you make the board and the case the components are fairly cheap. To make the board another 2 inches bigger to contain another circuit would cost <2$ for the board and the components on the board would be <10$. From one case to another might be a few dollars. Instead of a 100$ amazing pedal, you could have a 3 in one, all amazing pedals for around 150-170. That is my goal. I might screw around with a few different ideas that ive seen.

Basic reverb
The above mentioned octiver
analog delay
phaser/airplane flanger combo
or maybe screamer/reverb/chorus

What do you guys think? Any more ideas. I LOVE the feedback so far you guys are amazing
anyone know where i can track down a Moog Moogerfooger MF-104Z Analog Delay schematic?
i made a muliple box once, it was a AB box, into effects loop, into boost, into buffer
I dont know how you would want to put them in the box but I would do what Beavis did with his fuzzlab, he had all seperate out/inputs so he could still change the order of the effects, because maybe you would now put one pedal in front and after a few months you realise it sound better after another and then you would still be able to turn them around
anyhow that was my idea
I cant find moog schematics anywhere, they did a good job of keeping that a secrete. If someone can find them that would be amazing, otherwise I will move on to a new idea.
One analog delay I would highly recommend is the MXR Carbon Copy. Great pedal. Extremely versatile and natural sounding.

I might just be throwing ideas around...but I've always wanted a Talk Box :P
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
I would like a boost pedal that also compliments me and tells me how good I am while I'm playing it, you can call it the ego boost
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Jan 9, 2012,
Guitar in->Tuner->Tubescreamer->Volume boost->Wah->To amp->From preamp(FX Loop)-> Chorus->Delay->Reverb->Volume->To power amp(FX Loop)
An idea I had in this thread. Do whatever you want with this, my version might never see the light.
re-create the Boss HM-2 in a quality way with a true bypass and i will buy 5. thanks.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
What a pedal controllable Distortion/boost? So you could go from clean to heavily distorted and everything in between with a slight alteration of your foot?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
you mean like a distortion pedal with the drive knob controlled by a pedal?
I doubt it's possible, but If you're able to make a POG2 clone I'd fucking love you.
Quote by emerald876
I doubt it's possible, but If you're able to make a POG2 clone I'd fucking love you.

lol ill second that
Quote by kevilay
you mean like a distortion pedal with the drive knob controlled by a pedal?

Yeah.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I personally am interested in a octave or harmonizer pedal. The ones where it plays your note, and then the same note a octave lower creating this cool 12 string effect. Although I'm looking for a variety of effects so I might just get a MIDI.

Also being able to have EQ presets would be epic. So you have one song that has this EQ setting, and then another song you can just hit the pedal once or twice to change between them.