Page 1 of 2
Hey I've recently started looking at jet city amps more specifically JCA50H,
I've seen reviews saying that they are good or bad. But are they good for the price and are there better amps for the same price, thanks.
I really really really like my Jet City 20H. That being said I've only had it for about two weeks. Basically though the story behind them is they're designed by Mike Soldano who sells more expensive American made amps. The Jet City amps are based of these Soldano amps with cheaper parts and cheaper labor making the price go way down. Now when I say cheaper parts don't take that as if they're a piece of crap. Transformers in a Soldano cost around 600ish. If you don't mind the made in China manufacturing, which you'll probably get from any amp company at this price then they're awesome for Hard Rock or Metal types of music.
TL;DR: Yes they are good.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I have the 20 watt. It's great for overdrive and has a surprising amount of gain. It has a sort of 80's rock voicing. In its price range, I don't think anything else comes close if that's the kind of tone you're looking for. However, the cleans are not great. They're never actually all that clean (you get a bit of crunch even when the gain is on 3). If you want sparkly cleans, this is not the amp for you.

The 50 watt might do a bit better considering it has a dedicated clean and overdrive channel, but I haven't tried it myself.
nope. better than a lot of other amps in the bracket, but not my favorite. i think one point of the disappointment was way over-hyped.

i had the 2112RC combo (same as the 20h), i got two defectives, finally the other one worked. i had it for a few weeks and wasn't terrible but wasn't great. so i sold that.

i got a JCA50H head and i really didn't like it at all. i tried it though all 7 or so cabinets i have and it just didn't sound that great. speakers involved were k85's V30 T75 EVH-celestion and two eminence legends. i just couldn't like it. i wanted to like it, because it would be a cheap amp to throw around and not worry about so much. i only had ~<$250 into it sold it.

either way, it certainly not the answer to everything, but they are in a pretty good price bracket for a good amp. IMO only the original tweakers are better in that price range. i had a tweaker for a while as well, got some other amps, and got rid of the Tweaker. Egnater has a few new models out, give them a look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope. better than a lot of other amps in the bracket, but not my favorite. i think one point of the disappointment was way over-hyped.

i had the 2112RC combo (same as the 20h), i got two defectives, finally the other one worked. i had it for a few weeks and wasn't terrible but wasn't great. so i sold that.

i got a JCA50H head and i really didn't like it at all. i tried it though all 7 or so cabinets i have and it just didn't sound that great. speakers involved were k85's V30 T75 EVH-celestion and two eminence legends. i just couldn't like it. i wanted to like it, because it would be a cheap amp to throw around and not worry about so much. i only had ~<$250 into it sold it.

either way, it certainly not the answer to everything, but they are in a pretty good price bracket for a good amp. IMO only the original tweakers are better in that price range. i had a tweaker for a while as well, got some other amps, and got rid of the Tweaker. Egnater has a few new models out, give them a look.

were you able to get any decent metal tones out of the jca21 combo? just wondering....something ive been looking at.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
ive been looking at them too bro. they seem pretty nice. But I desire a metal sound so I dont know if itll work for me.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I love my 20H. I run it through my marshall 412, it gives off a strong JCM900 vibe. Good for punk, and it can pull of metal alright. I also used it to record an ep with my band which plays pretty mellow stuff.
Bottom line, you can get better amps, but the heads are a solid choice. Mine has served me well.
no matter how hard you cannot get modern metal tone.

edit: i was referring to the JCA20, the JCA50 could a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by frameandcanvas
I love my 20H. I run it through my marshall 412, it gives off a strong JCM900 vibe.

Thank god you're not running the advertising campaign.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.

Satanic as shit and you know it.

Good riddance make them somewhere else. poo on China. A job I am sure most young musicians elsewhere would love to work for a fair wage. =/

Greedy assholes.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Satanic as shit and you know it.

Good riddance make them somewhere else. poo on China. A job I am sure most young musicians elsewhere would love to work for a fair wage. =/

Greedy assholes.

I'm sure the consumer would rather pay $200 more across the board for the Jet City products, knowing that the workers aren't in sweatshop conditions and are unionized.

I'm jk but Chinese workers are rapidly increasing in price anyway, so maybe all the big amp makers will move production elsewhere sooner or later.

IMO the only ampmaker that really competes with the Jet City in the $500 new price range is Peavey, with the Vypyr Tube and 6505+ 112 amps. If you're talking $500 - $1000 then it opens it up to a lot more manufacturers like Traynor, Randall, Bugera, etc. If you look at used amps then it gets even wider with people like Mesa Boogie, Orange, Marshall, and so on.

As to whether the Jet City Amps JCA50H can do metal, look at FastRedPonyCar's Youtube channel. He uses the JCA100H but they're pretty much the same amp. Zacky Vengeance of A7X uses them. I have no doubt that these amps are capable of metal and metal accessories.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm not saying this sounds bad but this sounds a bit vintagy to me. It is not sitting firmly in modern metal imo. I really like and respect all of FRPC videos too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD5213B4627D11A79

Maybe I'm missing out on all the really good JCA clips
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm not saying this sounds bad but this sounds a bit vintagy to me. It is not sitting firmly in modern metal imo. I really like and respect all of FRPC videos too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD5213B4627D11A79

Maybe I'm missing out on all the really good JCA clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyUAs26I3Oc&feature=related

UG's very own Ian_the_Fox starring in this one.

I wanna try out the 100/50 SO. GODDAMN. BADLY.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I'm sticking with them and my JTM45 until Craig makes that 40 watt head for under a grand. Which I will buy, so long as its not meant for only br00talz.

I don't think the Jet Cities are geared towards being perfect metal amps. And they certainly aren't good for sparkly cleans. But imo, they shine best in the mid-gain department.

They're budget amps for a reason too, of course they're not gonna sound as good as whatever boutique amp you're hoping they're going to sound like. They are solid for the price, but you do get what you pay for in the end.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
no matter how hard you cannot get modern metal tone.

edit: i was referring to the JCA20, the JCA50 could a little bit.

You weren't trying hard enough then.

My JCA20H could get metal without a boost, and I'm not talking 80s metal.

Those amps are very picky to cabs and pickups, though. The amp sounded horrid through my Mesa 4x12 and was a beast through the ported Emperor 1x12 I had.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/play879011

Could maybe use a tad more gain... but it was only at 7, with no boost:

Gain - 7, Bass - 4, Mids - 4, Treble - 6, Volume - 4, Presence - 6

IMO, the Jet Cities are every bit worth the hype. For the price I paid for mine, I wasn't expecting a lot, and was pleasantly surprised The JCA50H has even more gain and covers a lot more territory genre-wise, at a price not many other amps can compare with.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You weren't trying hard enough then.

My JCA20H could get metal without a boost, and I'm not talking 80s metal.

Those amps are very picky to cabs and pickups, though. The amp sounded horrid through my Mesa 4x12 and was a beast through the ported Emperor 1x12 I had.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/play879011

Could maybe use a tad more gain... but it was only at 7, with no boost:

Gain - 7, Bass - 4, Mids - 4, Treble - 6, Volume - 4, Presence - 6

IMO, the Jet Cities are every bit worth the hype. For the price I paid for mine, I wasn't expecting a lot, and was pleasantly surprised The JCA50H has even more gain and covers a lot more territory genre-wise, at a price not many other amps can compare with.

haha **** yeah dude. can believe hoaward jones left the band. doesnt seem quite there for brutality though. not bad with no boost. what guitar are you using? so its best to not get the stock 112 cabinet? and go with something else? btw thanks for shedding some new light into my amp upgrading process.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 8, 2012,
For the same price as the Jet City 50 watt you could get a Randall head new - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/randall-rt-series-rt50h-50w-tube-guitar-amp-head It seems better suited for metal IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sVZ1adVLWM&feature=related
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
what is the difference between the JCA12XS 1x12 and the JCA12S 1x12 speakers?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
what is the difference between the JCA12XS 1x12 and the JCA12S 1x12 speakers?

According to teh website, moar "midrange growl"

I think the XS is more suited towards the Picovalve instead of a 20/22, just based on looks alone.

But it's basically the same. Same speaker. Probs same construction. Just looks different.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
According to teh website, moar "midrange growl"

I think the XS is more suited towards the Picovalve instead of a 20/22, just based on looks alone.

But it's basically the same. Same speaker. Probs same construction. Just looks different.

cool, thanks alot bud.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Thank god you're not running the advertising campaign.

Anyway jet citys are pretty good IMO i like my jca2112rc combo. Its a great compliment to my ultra plus because its more of a classic rock voiced amp but it can do ok br00tz with a boost.. Doesn't really do cleans though

Basically my Peavey ultra plus can do very clean cleans quite well for a high gain head, br00tz without need for a boost and higher gain 80s quite well on its crunch channel but IMO isnt very good at the sounds in between the 80s and the clean. The jet city fills in the gap there for me mainly but also does quite well for the high gain sounds boosted but not as good as a higher watt 6l6 head.. haha stating the obvious really.

I would probably hit one of the 50/100s when i have money..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by coolstoryangus

Anyway jet citys are pretty good IMO i like my jca2112rc combo. Its a great compliment to my ultra plus because its more of a classic rock voiced amp but it can do ok br00tz with a boost.. Doesn't really do cleans though

I would probably hit one of the 50/100s when i have money..

thats exactly what I want to get JCA2112RC.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I love my JCA100 for metal when sent to EVM12Ls and/or ManOWars + Swamp Thangs. It's also used as a Bass head in a pinch with the EVMs.

IpponEdit: I got it when it first came out, for really cheap, since the original owner can't (didn't know how) to dial it for Metal.
Last edited by Ippon at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by NosralTserrof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyUAs26I3Oc&feature=related

UG's very own Ian_the_Fox starring in this one.
Eww, I hate that demo. I only had the amp for like 2 weeks at the time and didn't know how to dial it great yet (WAY too much gain; man what was I thinking?).

Here's a better, more recent video of it sounding better (and more modern): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFCmRUHeKhQ&fmt=18 (gain was only at 4 here BTW)

Also a full mix recording: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ian_the_fox/music/play1072691

TS: The JCA50h is indeed as the others have said a solid choice for playing pretty much anything, though it sounds different from what you would typically get for whatever genre. It's good if you want something that sounds different from everybody else. It's voicing kinda sits right in between British and American voicing.

As for getting either the 100/50: I own the 100 as it is, but between the 2 I'd stick with my 100w for the extra headroom for better cleans and better distorted headroom in general, and it can operate at low volumes even being 100w. Though if cost is an issue, the 50h will do fine. Here's an idea of what the cleans are like (another thing people say this amp "can't do"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo

EDIT:

Quote by Poisonouspot
I'm thinking of getting a jca 500 with cab, good option?
Assuming you're talking about the 50h, yes, it would indeed be a good choice.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

That's sweet dude.

REALLY have GAS for a 100 now.

I'd like to get it modded.

Like the features of the HDM with the look of the 100. Maybe I could see if I could do a half power switch and combine it with the Standby switch, like on the Orange Terror series. I really like that.

Plus a depth mod.

And new tubes.

And a new transformer.

What difference would a new Tranny (lawl) make?

Still, modless, I LIKE ALOT
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That was good Ian - thanks for sharing.

He redeemed himself for the light bulb question.

Even the first video isn't bad.

Thanks for sharing Ian!
sounds great.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by R45VT

Thanks for sharing Ian!

Quote by R45VT

Thanks for sharing Ian!

imo there was too much talking in the first video

he must have said 'ok, I'm going to quit talking now' like 3 times

oh and believe it or not, there are lots of guitar players who really don't know that much about gear
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
imo there was too much talking in the first video

he must have said 'ok, I'm going to quit talking now' like 3 times

oh and believe it or not, there are lots of guitar players who really don't know that much about gear

Ya it's because they'd rather play guitar then argue on a forum.
Lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Poisonouspot
Hey I've recently started looking at jet city amps more specifically JCA50H,
I've seen reviews saying that they are good or bad. But are they good for the price and are there better amps for the same price, thanks.

Plain and simple as NO.

Reviews are nice but never go by reviews unless its a review done with your own ears.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by themelodicdeathshow
Plain and simple as NO.

Reviews are nice but never go by reviews unless its a review done with your own ears.

true. gotta also take into account what type of guitar they are using compared to what you will be using.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Page 1 of 2