I am new to guitar playing my brother used to play and he has some guitars so in the past I just picked them up and messed around but now I'm looking to get more serious with it.

Over the time that I was messing around I never developed callasuses so I am assuming that I never was fretting hard enough. So hard hard should your fretting be? I remember reading that fretting too hard makes the note go sharp, so how hard is too hard? Should your fingers lightly touch the neck when you fret a note? Etc.

Other questions: Whats the proper technique for left hand grip? How should the thumb be? Which direction should it point? Should the wrist be curled around the neck? How should your arm be? How should your right hand arm and wrist be positioned?

How hard do you play when you play electric?

I know these are alot of questions but I really would appreciate this.
search on youtube for guitar positioning, but to answer some things briefly.

Callasuses form over time, not how hard you fret, you need only fret as hard as is needed to let the note sound clearly.
The 2 main methods of holding the neck is the thumb in the middle, your knuckles curled and the tips of the fingers on the strings, the 2nd method is a more blues/rock of resting the thumb over the neck and playing at more of an angle.

Forearm should always be straight with the wrist to prevent injury.
Right hand and forearm is down to comfort, just play were if feels "right".
In terms with how hard to play, depends on the sounds your aiming for. Don't over do it, it should be smooth and the pick shouldn't snag on the strings. Id suggest its better to be too gentle than too rough.

Best advice, get your brother to show you, check out some youtube tutorials and if your serious, get a good reputable teacher.
Gear
-Shecter Omen 6 Extreme
-Yamaha JX20SC Acoustic
-Roland : Cube 80x
Wishlist
-Mbox recording hardware
-Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)
-Boss Overdrive pedal
the answer to your question is "yes"
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Perhaps you have naturally hard skin, seeing as you are a complete beginner, I can't tell you that fretting should be effortless, because whatever you do, will probably not be. General rule is, though, you must apply as least pressure as possible, while making the note sound out nicely.

General rule of guitar playing is that whatever you do must be comfortable, but, you must also hold your hands in a position that allows you to play cleanly, your right hand must always block\mute strings which you are not playing on so that they do not resonate and make unwanted noise, if I'm playing on high E string, for example, my hand rests on 5 other strings and they don't resonate.

Guitar is generally considered an easy-to-learn instrument, thus its' popularity, you can get hang of basics pretty easily, but to master it and play it on high levels takes years of devoted practice.
Quote by abfirstr8

Over the time that I was messing around I never developed callasuses so I am assuming that I never was fretting hard enough. So hard hard should your fretting be? I remember reading that fretting too hard makes the note go sharp, so how hard is too hard? Should your fingers lightly touch the neck when you fret a note? Etc.

Most guitarists's finger is touchgin the fretboard when they fret a note. Beyond that, listen - it's a combination of what sounds right and what feels right. Beginners tend to make notes go sharp by putting a sideways pressure on the string, not pushing it straight down into the fretboard. .

Other questions: Whats the proper technique for left hand grip? How should the thumb be? Which direction should it point? Should the wrist be curled around the neck? How should your arm be? How should your right hand arm and wrist be positioned?

Lessons. This sort of stuff is almost impossible to talk about in words. Check out some youtube vids or take some lessons just to get your started.

How hard do you play when you play electric?

As hard as I have to to get the sound I want, and no harder.
Your playing should be as gentle and relaxed as possible, but still make a sound. My right hand usually rests partially on the bridge and the strings I'm not playing. But when I am strumming, my right hand floats in the air. It really depends on what you're playing and what you're comfortable with. Same goes with the left hand.

My suggestion is that you search the internet and experiment the hand positions by yourself and ask your brother to help you.
Like the other guys have said you should be fretting the strings with as little pressure as possible while still allowing a clean note to sound. As for the rest just pick it up and play it you'll soon work out what's most comfortable for you once you've got the sorted out then you can work on technique like right hand muting and stuff.