since like 2004ish i've owned this Fernandes Vertigo deluxe and at the time it was a few years old ... recently i put Grover tuners on it ... replaced the plastic Nut with a bone nut and got the frets refinished ... when i took the guitar in there the Guitar Tec in the Guitar center (who did the work for me) was just disgusted at how Crappy the Tuners... the Jack.. the plastic nut were ... pretty much a "Oh my god what shit they used here" rant ... and well i've decided to go ahead and upgrade the pick ups from the Passive EMGs that it has (not sure the type) to semour duncans .... Sh-4 in the bridge and thinking an sh-1 in the neck .... Now to the real Question... since i'd have them do this again ... do you guys think that the Pots and wiring might possibly be Substandard as many of the other parts were (cause he was right about the other parts)... do you guys think i should just go ahead and have the whole damn thing Rewired and the volume and tone pots replaced with good quality ones .... since its going to be open anyway?... what do you guys think?
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Personally I think you are going to pay him wayyyyy too much to do a rather simple job.

But if money is no object and you're simply asking if changing those parts would be beneficial to the sound of your guitar, then I would say yes, absolutely. I think decent electronics are very undervalued by most players because they don't understand them.

That being said, if you don't know about decent electronics, you cant be sure he's actually UPgrading anything. Just make sure he uses decent capacitors and he doesn't suck at soldering. You might ask if you can watch him do it so you only have to pay for this type of thing once.

I would never pay anyone to do any electronics work in my guitar,but then again, I'm comfortable with a soldering iron.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
thanks for the responses and answers

and squeelie ... I have used to soldering iron before but its always been a stressful affair... i sat in a bar last night drinking just staring at the Wiring Diagram on my phone trying to decide if should try to do this own my own ... seems simple enough ... i just imagine getting it all hook up .... plugging in and it not work ... just self dout i guess lol

side note i also thought about changing out the stop tail bridge its got ... but i think i may wait to later to try that... step by step
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Yea, once you've done it once or twice, it's a piece of cake. If nothing else you can try it, and if it doesn't work you can take it in then. The best part about working with the electronics part of your guitar is that it's really hard to mess anything up too bad and replacement parts are generally very cheap.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Guitar electronics are really simple and elementary in all honesty, if you can solder you've got 90% of the skill down pat. Everything is passive and can take a lot of heat if you have trouble getting something to stick correctly, it'd take awhile of direct contact to fry a pot for example. I did get solder down into a encased switch once and wound up replacing it.. only cost like $6 with shipping though.

I'd first worry about swapping your pickups (it's all of 2 things to solder per pickup) and see if you like the new sound. "Upgraded" pots and "premium" caps are pretty much negligible to the human ear, it's all snake oil and pointless elitism . It's not like cheap caps keep magical tone electrons from passing through. I guess there COULD be a slight improvement in tone, but I haven't noticed it on the guitars I've repaired or been bothered to drop the cash for it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]