Been learning acoustic guitar on/off for 7 months now, using the justinguitar.com method. I am no longer interested in effing about and will be getting very serious about it from now on. I am 24, starting late, so do not have time to waste. I want to be the complete guitarist, which I define as being able to do anything I would like on it basically. What interests me most though is being able to hear a song and being able to play/sing it quite quickly (Think Alejandro Manzano / Boyce Avenue). I would also like to write my own songs. Maybe even perform, either in a band or solo. I do not have any written down, specific goals, just a picture in my head. I do not believe in static goals anyway. When you have specific, written down goals, your journey just becomes a means to and end. I believe in just having a plan and focussing on what I can do NOW.

My plan is as follows:

PRACTICE

50% approx - Follow JustinGuitar.com method to a tee; beginners course, then intermediate course, and purchasing his DVDs where appropriate
50 % approx - Go through the JustinGuitar Beginner's songbook, playing as many songs as possible

Once I have completed Justin, which I am not even thinking of yet, I will plan where to go from there.

THEORY - Reading

Hal Leonard Guitar Method Music Theory - Tom Kolb

then once completed...

Guitar Fretboard Workbook - Barrett Tagliarino

then once completed...

Fretboard Logic - Bill Edwards

then once completed...

Fretboard Roadmaps

THEORY - Practice

Basically doing the exercises from these books with the aim of Mastering The Fretboard.

EARS

David Lucas Burge - Relative Pitch and Perfect Pitch SuperCourses

VOICE - Reading

Set Your Voice Free - Roger Love

VOICE - Practice

Practice the exercises.
Singing practice.

--

NOTE: I will begin transcribiong songs once I have completed JG Beginner Course, which Justin recommends.

--

At the moment I will be allocating my time as follows:

Practice - 2 hours
Theory - 30 minutes
Ears - 20-30 minute relative / 20-30 minute perfect
Voice - 30 min

Is there anything you would change about this plan? Something you would add, remove, replace? As mentioned. I am not interested in effing about. Not just someone who wants to be able to play auld lang syne at a new years eve party. I want to be really, really good. You only get one chance. I believe if I have a plan and focus on the NOW, I cannot fail.
Last edited by hughesa1 at Jan 8, 2012,
The only potential problem I see in this is you somehow have to make it fun for yourself. The fact of the matter is you can practice all you want but if you're not having fun with it, you're not going to stick with it.
The only way you'll know if your plan works, is to implement it. For me, your plan wouldn't work. Everyone is different. I'd say implement your plan and be prepared to adjust, if you find some aspect of it isn't working. Also, be prepared for this to take a few years. Don't expect to be a virtuoso in 2 months.

Good luck.
You don't plan how you learn and get effective with the guitar.

There's no rules in music, discipline however is required but it's not like that.

Figure out what kind of music you like, and play what you enjoy. Rather play the guitar, not study it. As you play, you will develop a style and the rest will come.

And keep doing daily finger and picking exercises when your not messing with music.
One thing I would add if not know later on is improvising
For me thats where all the fun is
once you get good at the theory improvising and messing around gets a lot more awesome and sounds a lot better too
but if you plan on using your voice for the leads and guitar for accompaniment then this probably wont fit your style
Quote by satrionic1
You don't plan how you learn and get effective with the guitar.

There's no rules in music, discipline however is required but it's not like that.

Figure out what kind of music you like, and play what you enjoy. Rather play the guitar, not study it. As you play, you will develop a style and the rest will come.

And keep doing daily finger and picking exercises when your not messing with music.

Surely I need a plan though? If I do not have a plan, time is going to be wasted in my opinion.

I figured I need to get the basics under my belt (justin guitar beginners course);

put it in to action right away / have some fun (justing guitar beginners songbook);

learn how music, and more specifically, how the guitar works (justins course plus the books I mentioned);

Develop my ears (PP and RP courses);

Develop my voice (set your voice free book / practice);

After I have the basics on the technical/practice side, I will then most likely go on to specific styles and improvisation, etc.
Quote by Megalomaniac46
The only potential problem I see in this is you somehow have to make it fun for yourself. The fact of the matter is you can practice all you want but if you're not having fun with it, you're not going to stick with it.

I was thinking of splitting the Songs aspect in to two: learning songs / playing songs (having fun basically). I was also thinking maybe I should split the actual practice side in to three instead of two. I would have the practice side, the song side, and add in Noodling time. You got any other suggestions for making it fun?
Quote by killerkev321
One thing I would add if not know later on is improvising
For me thats where all the fun is
once you get good at the theory improvising and messing around gets a lot more awesome and sounds a lot better too
but if you plan on using your voice for the leads and guitar for accompaniment then this probably wont fit your style

Once I have good technique and have developed my ears, I should add improvising to the mix. By the way, this is just my plan NOW. The plan will be altered along the way.
Quote by Megalomaniac46

+1

I remember when I was forcing my technique to come out with this "Super Duper Fool Proof Plan". I had to practice 4 hours of striaght technique a day. I did it for like 3 weeks and stopped. Even though it helped a lot of my technique, I went on "Auto-Pilot" for those hours and didn't really absorb much information due to playing. (I still play +4 hours a day easy )

After abit I started to learn Jason Becker's Perputual Burn. The sweeps at the beggining (Those were insane to get clean and up to speed!) helped me learn more about sweep picking and get better at it then my "Plan". My "Plan" didn't help at all because I couldn't sweep well prior to learning Perputual Burn. It was fun too because it was a song and everyone loves to learn songs!

Long story short, the best bet for you would to mix technique exercises with song practice/jamming practice. Those exercises get tedious after abit. Relax with your favorite song, maybe try to learn some of them by ear to unwind, or just jam with some chords. You didn't start guitar to be a robot right? So play what you want and have fun!

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I like the structure of your plan, I have been playing for about a year with no plan and have finally decided to take some lessons, starting next week actually. I think I got pretty far, just figuring things out, but I too am ready to step it up. I am glad you posted the details of your plan, I think I am gonna take some of your ideas and run with them. Thanks!

If structured learning is what you like, then it can be great fun, especially when you can measure your results. Of course screwing around, improvising, and having fun is priceless.
Epiphone - Hummingbird
Fender/Squire - Telecaster (Standard)
Dean - Acoustic Flying V
Wasburn - HB30
Fender - Telecousic
Peavey -VYPYR15
Try getting lessons with an actual guitar teacher, face to face. You may find it helps you drastically.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Slashiepie
Discipline and a strong will can slay the mentality of "everything has to be fun so that little kids can stick to it."

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

hehehe <3 the shinning :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.