I was wondering how much of difference emg 81/85 or some livewire dave mustaine pick ups would make compared to the Jackson CVR2s in my jackson kelly. I will be purchasing a new tube amp soon and I was thinking of doing a pickup swap as well. i play both rhythm and lead thrash/european metal stuff. I would be open to checking out some guitarfetish pickups too. thanks in advance. no budget on pickups. but the cheaper the better.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 6, 2012,
These first pickups are active which require a battery and aren't as affected by the wood of the guitar as other pickups. They are more expensive though. You could put the battery in the back panel with the controls but this makes changing the battery a little bit of a hassle. Guitarfetish only makes passive pickups but they are a good bang for their buck to most people.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
These first pickups are active which require a battery and aren't as affected by the wood of the guitar as other pickups. They are more expensive though. You could put the battery in the back panel with the controls but this makes changing the battery a little bit of a hassle. Guitarfetish only makes passive pickups but they are a good bang for their buck to most people.

ohh okay. so its a big pain in the ass? i was thinking about saving up for a agile hornet for my second guitar after I get my amp. it comes with the emg 81/85.

http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro6wh.html
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Its not too bad. Emgs have alot of plastic locking connectors so they are pretty easy to install.
Not sure if its all like that now, but I had to solder a fair bit with mine. Its a full swap out of electronics but its pretty easy. I loved the tone zone/ air norton for playing thrashy stuff.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Its not too bad. Emgs have alot of plastic locking connectors so they are pretty easy to install.
Not sure if its all like that now, but I had to solder a fair bit with mine.

from what ive read they have made it easier.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
so as far as the battery goes, is there a spot for it or? no clue sorry.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
so as far as the battery goes, is there a spot for it or? no clue sorry.

You hook the battery up in the control cavity of the guitar. It also needs to be insulated too because of the metal casing around the battery, at least that is what I've read.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
You hook the battery up in the control cavity of the guitar. It also needs to be insulated too because of the metal casing around the battery, at least that is what I've read.

so basically a huge pain in the ass. moral of the story is get a guitar with it already built it.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
so basically a huge pain in the ass. moral of the story is get a guitar with it already built it.

It is simple, but still not something I want to deal with myself.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
As long as the cavity has spare room just wrap some thin foam or rubber around the battery and tie it on. Its really not too bad.
i think id rather just spend the 400 on the axe im looking at. lol.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by ethan_hanus
Those CRV2's are actually pretty decent pickups from what I hear. You'd prolly be best off just leaving it alone until you know more of what you want out of the guitar.

I believe my Jackson has them. Not bad. I love the neck pickup for cleans.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I dont really think its worth it. The pickups are half the cost of that guitar.
Cheap Lfr from what I gather, I would think your current guitar is superior.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I dont really think its worth it. The pickups are half the cost of that guitar.
Cheap Lfr from what I gather, I would think your current guitar is superior.

yeah I was looking a agile hornet for $400, the emgs and a floyd. my second guitar. just a possibility.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Thats what im talking about. I dont think that agile is worth your time.
Cheaper guitar + better pickups < Your current with the same pickups.
Also cheaply made liscenced floyd rose.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Thats what im talking about. I dont think that agile is worth your time.
Cheaper guitar + better pickups < Your current with the same pickups.
Also cheaply made liscenced floyd rose.

thanks man. I also play through an 8 inch speaker. im gonna get a new amp in a few weeks. im sure thats gonna make a world of a difference.

so there is no point to upgrade these pickups in my jackson for metal? i mean to some other passive pickups. ill stay away from the actives. as im a beginner with guitar electronics.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
can somebody recommend some passive pickups for thrash to modern metal please. thanks in advance.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you want actives look at Dragonfire Guitars. They make 81/85 copies. Also the LFR's on rondomusic guitars are pretty solid. I had one and it never gave me problems. It held tuning much better than the Edge lll on my RG5EX1 did. Not to mention the guitar I had was a WRL 340 which was a $150 douglas. The LFR's ont he agiles will either be the same or better.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Jan 11, 2012,
Quote by Darkdevil725
If you want actives look at Dragonfire Guitars. They make 81/85 copies. Also the LFR's on rondomusic guitars are pretty solid. I had one and it never gave me problems. It held tuning much better than the Edge lll on my RG5EX1 did. Not to mention the guitar I had was a WRL 340 which was a $150 douglas. The LFR's ont he agiles will either be the same or better.

I just wanted some passive pickups to replace the stock ones on my jackson kelly. installing actives seems like such a pain. im really thinking about throwing a seymour invader in the bridge at least.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A