I have a yamaha RBX170 and I'm finding that it's really heavy, and after a while it makes your shoulder ache. Is there any way I can make it lighter?
You can ease the burden on your shoulder considerably by purchasing a quality thick padded strap, which will distribute the weight over a greater area.
I second the big strap. Padded straps are comfy
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
When i started out my warwick was killing my sholder, neck and back. I was using a normal leather guitar strap that i used with my guitar. I ended up getting a strap made by MONO called the "GS1 Betty strap" or something like that. After my sholder fixxed up, ive never had a problem since.

Edit: the only neck injuries i have gotten since where from headbanging...well, trying to.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Last edited by Cantplay4penuts at Jan 6, 2012,
Buy a Peavey T-40. They are one of the lightest basses out there.*

*not really
Last edited by Bloodbuzz at Jan 6, 2012,
i second the thick strap... BTW, aren't the RBX series regarded as light basses? my 90's rbx is quite light, at least in comparison with my squier jazz, that isn't the most heavy bass...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
i second the thick strap... BTW, aren't the RBX series regarded as light basses? my 90's rbx is quite light, at least in comparison with my squier jazz, that isn't the most heavy bass...

I've got an RBX and they are pretty light compared to most other basses.
IF your a guy not into looks, I'd get out the jig saw and lop the lower horn off, then get the table saw and take the upper bout and horn off in one fell swoop and get a little paint for touch ups... but you wouldn't cause your not into looks right?

Or get a nice strap/get used to it.

I was being funny, but people do sometimes really like an instrument and chose to do similar things, you could also get a drill and swiss cheese it for a lightened and interesting look.
my rbx is stupidly light? aside from getting a wider strap, how high/low do you have you current strap? i find playing with it lower hurts my back and shoulder more so you could try raising the height that you play the bass
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I wanted to say that sometimes buying a huge strap doesn't help. It could be you. I'm 5'11'' and I weigh about 125 pounds on a good day after eating, and having clothes on. I have a light frame and I play an Ibanez SRX.

My bass easily weighs roughly 10-12 pounds if not more, and I have the thickest strap I could find (Levy MSS2-4) which is a 4.5'' thick padded leather strap and while it's better than a 2'' guitar strap, my shoulder and back still kill after a standing session with my bass. Sometimes it's just not the strap, maybe you just have a light frame.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
I wanted to say that sometimes buying a huge strap doesn't help. It could be you. I'm 5'11'' and I weigh about 125 pounds on a good day after eating, and having clothes on. I have a light frame and I play an Ibanez SRX.

My bass easily weighs roughly 10-12 pounds if not more, and I have the thickest strap I could find (Levy MSS2-4) which is a 4.5'' thick padded leather strap and while it's better than a 2'' guitar strap, my shoulder and back still kill after a standing session with my bass. Sometimes it's just not the strap, maybe you just have a light frame.

Do you mean wide? Or is it a composite of rhino and elephant hide?
Any bass is going to seem heavy after about an hour on your shoulder. RBX's are quite light though compared to most other basses. So either get used to it or buy a huge expensive strap like these guys said.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Another thing is to wait for the muscles to stop being sore and heal up. Then try do some exersizes. Pushups are good, builts abit of muscle on your sholders. Arms also benifit, but that is irrellevant to your shoulder issues...does help woo the ladies though.

And again, if you choose to exersize, dont over do it. Dont try do weights that are too heavy, that will lead to damage and pain. Pushups are sufficent, im a medium (almost heavy) frame guy, rather tall, and i do them on my knees. Most people call you a girl for it, but at the end of the day you can do more pushups, and be better exersized. (sorta like trying to loose weight, but only sprinting for cardio because jogging is considered girly, you can't sustain it).

Anyway, hope that helps. If you are playing and it starts to hurt, stop. Give your sholder and back a chance to rest. Try again a day or two later. Eventually you will build some strength.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Quote by askrere
Do you mean wide? Or is it a composite of rhino and elephant hide?

Sorry, I meant wide . Believe it or not my strap actually gets made fun of because it looks so ridiculous compared to any other strap, and it still doesn't feel like enough.
pinga