Hi,
I've just started learning and I have a brand new Ibanez rgr321ex guitar and was wondering if it is best to unplug the cable from the guitar after use.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on repairs etc. so I want this guitar to last so I'm just wondering if constant unplugging and plugging in the cable is better than having it permanently connected.

It may be a strange question but I want to make sure everything stays in good working order as long as possible.

Thanks.
Unless you have active pickups in it there is no real reason to unplug it after playing.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well, the act of simply leaving the cable plugged in won't really hurt the guitar, but I would recommend that you unplug it after playing. I can't tell you how many times I put my guitar on it's stand all nice and easy with the cord still going to my amp, and then I trip over the cord or one of my dogs trips over it and my guitar goes headstock first into a dresser or a wall or something
Quote by Tracii Lee
Well, the act of simply leaving the cable plugged in won't really hurt the guitar, but I would recommend that you unplug it after playing. I can't tell you how many times I put my guitar on it's stand all nice and easy with the cord still going to my amp, and then I trip over the cord or one of my dogs trips over it and my guitar goes headstock first into a dresser or a wall or something

This. Cables left plugged into a guitar or an amp are just tripping accidents that are waiting to happen.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I seldom unplug one until I want to plug in another. The cable mess is bad. The only saving grace is that there isnt much room to stack guitars near the amps, so I sometimes unplug a guitar so I can hang it up. Yeah, tripping happens. And cables get damaged.
I do in-case no one trips over the wire because my room is tight
But for you it depends where your guitar is.
Quote by lemurflames
Cables left plugged into a guitar or an amp are just tripping accidents that are waiting to happen.

+111111
well another thing to think about is if your cable is at an angle at all, leaving it that way will cause the bend to be permenant which will eventually damage your chord, also make sure that whatever you do don't put weight on it while your storing it or otherwise, putting pressure on your 1/4 jack is never a good idea
You're not going to ware it out by plugging and unplugging the jack in and out, I've never had a problem with any of my guitars and one of them is almost 50 years old, must have been plugged in and out a billion times. If it's going to break, you won't prevent it happening that way.
Last edited by Delboyuk_01 at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by Delboyuk_01
You're not going to ware it out by plugging and unplugging the jack in and out, I've never had a problem with any of my guitars and one of them is almost 50 years old, must have been plugged in and out a billion times. If it's going to break, you won't prevent it happening that way.

this.

i know someone with a guitar that's almost 60 years old and still has the original output jack and no problems at all. they can be pretty durable unless you manage to damage them somehow, but that can only really be done by tripping over cables that have been left plugged in and stuff...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have a habit of putting my guitar in the case when I'm not playing it. If you want to keep your guitar, case it to protect it from accidents.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
I have a habit of putting my guitar in the case when I'm not playing it. If you want to keep your guitar, case it to protect it from accidents.

Yep.. Case it.. Always...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Mine is always cased, the one in the hard case is kept in our living room (where my step daughter uses it to put my wireless controllers so she doesn't sit on them) and a soft case is put under a bed. Its just so much safer that way. Plus we don't have room for a stand.
Quote by Tracii Lee

+1, that's the thing. i always unplug mine so someone doesn't trip over it and kill themselves and/or the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To be honest, even if you did break your output socket then it'll cost next to nothing to get it repaired.
i'd be more concerned about knocking the thing over
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a few years ago a friend of mine was practicing with his blues band and they stopped and put his guitar (still plugged up) on his stand then walked to everyone else and started talking about how much he loved his brand new Tele he had just bought and then BOOM!! ....someone tripped on the cable and the guitar went face first into the Concrete of his car port... wish you could have seen his face .... i'll always unplug my stuff now
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here