I need help on choosing and overdrive pedal. I listen to all styles of music and have been looking at either the Zakk Wylde MXR ZW44, Boss SD-1 or the Boss OD-3. Any other good ones i don't know about? Oh i only have a solid state amp at the moment to but want to upgrage to a Peavey 6505+ sometime this year. Any help is appreciated.
An overdrive pedal won't do much for a SS amp. Usually people pair a 6505 with a Tubescreamer though
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Don't get the pedal til you have the amp.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

The ZW is a great overdrive, but its noisy. Unless you are using dead quiet pubs it will produce a lot of noise. The OD from MXR either the green one and the new bad ass od are good choises for a more classic tone. I think MXR makes kick ass od... but the T REX Batio Overdrive is probably one of the best and the Lovepedal Kalamazoo which resembles the old klon centaur (probably the best overdrive ever)
I LOVE my TS808! The TS9 is cool too if you don't have the cash for the 808.

MXR (not sure on the ZW but people seem to like it a lot) badass OD is pretty cool and so is their distortion II or III... can't remember which one is the latest... I think they're up to III. Seen it on a few pro boards on Premier Guitar's rig rundowns. Some surprising takers like Kieth Urban! All of the MXR stuff is built to survive Armageddon! Can't really go wrong there.

T Rex stuff is nothing but cool from what I've heard. I don't have experience with them, but a lot of pro's use T Rex stuff so that's a pretty good sign. The Mudhoney is another one I'd look into.

Quote by marianoarnaiz
the Lovepedal Kalamazoo which resembles the old klon centaur (probably the best overdrive ever)

How close does the Kalamazoo get to the Klon? I'm not sure I've heard about this before. I'm talking association not the pedal... its in Guitar Center's everywhere! If what you say is more true than not, I may have to look into picking one up myself!
Quote by bpdeem
How close does the Kalamazoo get to the Klon? I'm not sure I've heard about this before. I'm talking association not the pedal... its in Guitar Center's everywhere! If what you say is more true than not, I may have to look into picking one up myself!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyhz9i2bw0
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Never been to The Gear Page and never plan to. They seem like dicks.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero

OH. MY. GAWD! Gentlemen, I do believe that I now have the itis which we call GAS!

That being said, dude, if you can get your hands on one...

I went to TGP originally when I was looking for a forum home... don't like it nearly as much as UG... I do like their classifieds better though, but its all about the people!
Quote by RealGuitarHero

The only reason anyone gives a shit about the Klon is that it makes a great boost. The Kalamazoo doesn't do any of the tones anybody really cares about.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

The only reason anyone gives a shit about the Klon is that it makes a great boost. The Kalamazoo doesn't do any of the tones anybody really cares about.

I don't really like either to be honest. I'm fine with your run of the mill TS
Quote by barden1069
Quote by mmolteratx

Idk, I think they actually sound pretty good as stand alone units with strats and Fenders.
I have a zw od, and to push my amp that little bit more it is a great pedal. i cant compare to a 808 as I have never played one
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
TS9 all day. and if you find that its nice but is missing something, they are the most common pedal to send out to get modded. the analog man and the keeley mod pedals are nothing short of amazing
There are a thousand and one other overdrives other than the TubeScreamer. If I were to list them all, I'll be here all year. Anyway, here are a few I really like.

- NOC3 Pure Drive
- OKKO Diablo
- Maxon ST-9 Pro+

If you want a Klon without having to pay a bucket load like the chums out there, here are a few others you can look at:

- Tone Monk Effects Phoenix Overdrive
- Critically Overdriven EOD Overdrive

Altho why anyone would buy a pedal like the Klon is beyond me. Maybe I can't appreciate it, but from what I hear, and the one time I had an hour on one, it seemed like another tweaked TS.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
El cheapo Livingston Overdrive from Aldi sounds very much like an SD1. I think it's a repackaged Daphon E10OD. If you want cheap and useable that's what I'd go for.

If you'd prefer to spend more money on something really good, Way Huge Green Rhino.
But really if you are going to spend a lot of money you'd be better off putting that money towards a better amp instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 7, 2012,
^ +1

i mean the joyo vintage od is a ts808.

it's like £25-£30. I'd rather save the £100 on it instead of getting an ibanez one and put that towards a better amp.

Pedals are the one thing that (at least at teh moment with the good cheap stuff that's available, and at least if you're using them a certain way, which you seem to be) you can cheap out on for little discernable difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 7, 2012,