Okay so im playing this chart named Dream of the Sirens by an 80s band named the Rippingtons. There's this lick that comes up a few times in the piece which is a quick little slap feature. It's not *crazy* hard, but I can't seem to understand how in the world to do the mutes.

The piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFvOuniztI

It starts at 1:36 and it's really quick and not too crazy but I can't seem to do it right.

Here are the notes for it:

G--6-8--X-X----------------------|
D--------------4-6---------------|
A----------------------------6-4-|
E--------------------X-X-4-------|
    PP          P P        S  S S

So how do you do this? What I do is pluck the C# and D# (6 and 8 on the G string) but I don't know how to make those X's sound good. I can't play it that quick and I don't know how to do it right. They're 16th notes btw, just watch the video at 1:36 and listen to it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
pinga
To me it sounds like all the X's are simply being slapped (not popped), though not necessarily on the low E string. It's a quick double slap, and if you keep that in mind it should become easier to play :p
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Sounds like you'd get away with slapping one and popping the other, similar to a lot of slap parts in RHCP parts. That's the way I'd do it, seems the most economical, even though it might not be how it's done in the original. Failing that, I'm fairly sure there'd a video on youtube somewhere of Victor Wooten explaining his fast popping techniques. I'm not a massive slapper myself.

G--6h8------X-----------------------|
D--------------4h6------X-----------|
A---------X-------------------6-4---|
E---------------------X----4--------|
   P      S P  S      S P  S  S S
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by Ziphoblat
Sounds like you'd get away with slapping one and popping the other, similar to a lot of slap parts in RHCP parts. That's the way I'd do it, seems the most economical, even though it might not be how it's done in the original. Failing that, I'm fairly sure there'd a video on youtube somewhere of Victor Wooten explaining his fast popping techniques. I'm not a massive slapper myself.

P S P S S P S S S

That is exactly how I would play it.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Ziphoblat

P S P S S P S S S

Ah, thanks so much, that makes a lot more sense than the way I was doing it. Thanks!
pinga
I don't slap (...other than POW!).

But, The Rippingtons is seriously the coolest name i have heard in a long time.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
I don't slap (...other than POW!).

But, The Rippingtons is seriously the coolest name i have heard in a long time.

They have nice tunes, you should check them out
pinga