The LTD ex-401 is around 600 $

the Esp ex is 1600 $

Spec wise they are very similar .. emg 8160 pickup etc ..

from previous experience with Ltd .. series 400+ ( to 1000/deluxe) are made in korea and usually have been very good ( oppose to the cheaper 50 series for example made in indonesia ) .

now i have 1600 $ to spend on guitars .. but also have my eyes on a Charvel SO-CAL .

so its either Charvel so-cal + ltd ex-401 = 1500 $

or 1600 for the ESP explorer .

i dont know if the 1000 $ price gap between the 401 and esp ex is worth it . thats the price of a whole guitar . i could get the charvel with the price difference .

anyone have played both or experience higher range LTD vs ESP . ??

i played the ltd-ex-400 a couple of years ago .. great guitar .. but havent tried the "real" esp .

so 2 guitars for 1600 or only 1 ??

( prestige of a name , resale value etc.. arent thing i care in a guitar , if that matter )

what would Jesus Do ???
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 6, 2012,
ESP, hands down.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ltd deluxe's are quite similar, to the point where i couldnt distinguish a difference bar the logo. actually try them, if you want to get all nitpcky have a luthier examine them.
Quote by Spaztikko
ltd deluxe's are quite similar, to the point where i couldnt distinguish a difference bar the logo. actually try them, if you want to get all nitpcky have a luthier examine them.

Having played both an ESP standard and an LTD Deluxe of the same model, I'd say the ESP was made with more attention to detail.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The ESP is clearly going to be far better than its Korean counterpart, but Charvel So Cal's are also great, so I would personally go with the LTD and Charvel instead of the true ESP (the ESP and LTD both have EMG's anyway, so there really shouldn't be much of a sound difference between the two).
Ultimately the tone difference should be negligible, and the playability rather similar. You get diminishing returns the more you pay. Two guitars would be much more convenient in the long run I think.
ESP standard series are awesome. And they all come like custom shop guitars, that if you are ordering one out of stock, you can select which hardware, tuners,pickups it comes with. So you can order that guitar with also JB magnetics or else for no extra price. But you have to find the distributor. Well this FX is a high quality guitar, and would be better then 2 guitars. Go for it.
ESP. this is an example of the law of diminishing returns. essentially, the more you are spending on upgrades, the more you'll have to spend to continue improving.

the ESP, though similar to the LTD, is quite a bit better. look at the details in the parts spec: you get a bone nut instead of a regular one, gotoh tuners and a gotoh bridge, which are significantly better than the ESP branded ones. additionally, there are things you can't see, such as the quality of the woods used, the precision with which they are assembled and the quality of the fretwork.

LTD's are good guitars for the money, and they offer excellent value for the most part. however, ESP's are better. they sound better, the play better and they will last longer. if it is within your budget to get an esp, go for it
Quote by krehzeekid
ESP. this is an example of the law of diminishing returns. essentially, the more you are spending on upgrades, the more you'll have to spend to continue improving.

the ESP, though similar to the LTD, is quite a bit better. look at the details in the parts spec: you get a bone nut instead of a regular one, gotoh tuners and a gotoh bridge, which are significantly better than the ESP branded ones. additionally, there are things you can't see, such as the quality of the woods used, the precision with which they are assembled and the quality of the fretwork.

LTD's are good guitars for the money, and they offer excellent value for the most part. however, ESP's are better. they sound better, the play better and they will last longer. if it is within your budget to get an esp, go for it

This.

What ESP's also have that the LTD's don't is the wood being dried before assembly. Its partly the reason why high-end guitars are expensive. Because time is money.

What drying the wood does is make the wood far more resistant to warping with temperature changes, which for a gigging musician, that'll have its benefits in the long run. As the guitar will be a lot less prone to neck problems in later years.

The drying of the wood affects the tone too. It'll make the wood more resonant because the lower moisture content doesn't dampen vibrations as much.

ESP's, Fenders, PRS, Gibson etc might seem hideously expensive for what you'e getting, but in the long run, the guitar pays for itself as it'll be better constructed and less likely to run into problems. Its guitars like that which are truly gig-worthy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 7, 2012,