Hey guys i'm currently have a Marshall Mg HDFX 100 head and a MArshall 412 cab and i am looking for a different head for when i'm practising at home as the Marshall is really quite loud. It doesn't need alot of effects as i use a line 6 pod HD300 for that. I prefer Quality over Quantity. any insight will be appreciated price range between $450 - $700 cdn
practice at home? so where is the MGHDFX100 half stack now?

are you taking your 412 cab home too or do you already have another speaker cab at home? where is home?

these are important questions along with the type of music you play and silly stuff like that.
Curious, which Marshall 4x12" cab?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have 2 cabs one at home one at my friends where we jam. Play alot of metal, punk and bluesy stuff to stuff like the bones of baby dolls by acid bath. home is an apartment and it seems to have pretty thing walls so thats why i need to be a bit quieter. And the cab is a Mg412b. My guitar is a Cort evl z47 7 string tuned down to drop Ab with the pickups upgraded to dimarzio dactivators.
Quote by Llama-Guru
Hey guys i'm currently have a Marshall Mg HDFX 100 head and a MArshall 412 cab and i am looking for a different head for when i'm practising at home as the Marshall is really quite loud. It doesn't need alot of effects as i use a line 6 pod HD300 for that. I prefer Quality over Quantity. any insight will be appreciated price range between $450 - $700 cdn

Peavey Windsor, or Valve King.... ??
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The MG has a volume knob. Use it.

Also, get rid of the MG and the cab, get something like a Peavey XXX combo with EL34.

Edit: The Windsor is one channel, and somewhat similar to the JCM800. Not really suitable for home use since it needs to be cranked to sound great. You'd also need a boost for metal.
The Valveking is kind of okay until you mod it, then it's great (especially for the price). Still needs an OD, speaker and valve swap.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
The MG has a volume knob. Use it.

Also, get rid of the MG and the cab, get something like a Peavey XXX combo with EL34.

Edit: The Windsor is one channel, and somewhat similar to the JCM800. Not really suitable for home use since it needs to be cranked to sound great. You'd also need a boost for metal.
The Valveking is kind of okay until you mod it, then it's great (especially for the price). Still needs an OD, speaker and valve swap.

While I don't recommend keeping a MG cab, he could get the VK head first and get a better cab later. Then all he would need to do is do a tube swap.

See VK heads going as low as 500, huge improvement over the MG, obviously, but the cab will still hold it back in terms of clarity.

TS, I suggest a VK head, or a JCA50h and then save for a decent 2x12 cab, probably whitebox and avatar.

Good luck
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90