When i bought my squier telecaster the tone knob was fine but now as time passes been like 2 years when i turn the tone knob it makes a buzzing sound and the sound is getting worse and worse. Does anybody know what's wrong. Also there seems to nothing wrong on the outside maybe theres something wrong under the tone knob and the buzzing sound sounds like connecting 2 open wires.
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
No offence but who uses tone knobs?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
No offence but who uses tone knobs?

Everyone with a tone knob
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by ronkun
When i bought my squier telecaster the tone knob was fine but now as time passes been like 2 years when i turn the tone knob it makes a buzzing sound and the sound is getting worse and worse. Does anybody know what's wrong. Also there seems to nothing wrong on the outside maybe theres something wrong under the tone knob and the buzzing sound sounds like connecting 2 open wires.

You're losing the potentiometer (the circular "switch" the knob is mounted on that controls how much resistance is added to the circuit). You need to replace it; they're like $2 and come in a variety of values.

For a Squier tele, you probably have a 500k pot in it now, I'd recommend a 250k pot to take a bit of the edge off and to round the sound out a bit more, or you could use a new 500k pot to keep the same sound.

It will require some soldering to replace the potentiometer though. That's just the way of things.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Maybe the cable? My bridge pickup and tone knobs use to buzz a lot, and I was looking at getting a whole new guitar, But then I bought a new cable. It's fine now.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
If it is only when you turn the knob, then it is probably just dirty. Get some electrical contact cleaner and give it a spray.

Better yet, have a word with someone at your local guitar shop and they can recommend something and probably sort it out for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself (for a little price of course)
Quote by kangaxxter
You're losing the potentiometer (the circular "switch" the knob is mounted on that controls how much resistance is added to the circuit). You need to replace it; they're like $2 and come in a variety of values.

For a Squier tele, you probably have a 500k pot in it now, I'd recommend a 250k pot to take a bit of the edge off and to round the sound out a bit more, or you could use a new 500k pot to keep the same sound.

It will require some soldering to replace the potentiometer though. That's just the way of things.

Thanks ill see first by cleaning it then ill maybe get this checked
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by The Dr!
If it is only when you turn the knob, then it is probably just dirty. Get some electrical contact cleaner and give it a spray.

Better yet, have a word with someone at your local guitar shop and they can recommend something and probably sort it out for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself (for a little price of course)

Thanks could be the main problem since i havent really cleaned it properly
Rick_Diculous wrote: