I have 3 questions:

1-Why do people like "worn" models of guitars? Is it just preference or is there any other reason?

2-Why do some people like "vintage" guitars? are they made better? or do they feel different?

3- Whats the difference between an artist brand guitar ( like "Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster") and a normal one (American Strat or something)? is it just the colour? examples?
Thanks!!
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
3: artist brand guitars will usually have some customization to differentiate. For example, different pickups, maybe nicer HW, etc. You can look at them and compare to the Standards.
1. not everyone like "Relic" or "worn" guitar ( in fact most people think they're ugly , made a poll and youll see ) .. my personal opinion is that it depend on the relic job .. if you talk about a Fender Roadworn which is a cheap relic job that look fake "aged" = uglyness at his top . Same for a "only a few spots" relic that made you pay 500 $ in the fender custom shop to have a little piece of the body sand down . you either go "full relic" or dont go relic at all . my personal taste .

The only relic that is IMO wonderful is like that . but were probably talking about a 8000 $ dollars in the fender custom shop . it look like its been beat up on the road for the last 30 years

Fender® Custom Shop Masterbuilt Yngwie Malmsteen Play Loud Tribute Stratocaster

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
1. People like worn models because they have a worn in feel and look that people just happen to like.

2. People like vintage guitars because some were made better but also they are typically much more valuable. People also enjoy the thought of the adventure the guitars may have been on.

3. Artist are built to the artist own preference/specs though they are often just modified versions of standard guitars.
You don't cry when your worn guitar gets a ding in it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

I never thought of that lol
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Quote by BornToLive
I have 3 questions:

1-Why do people like "worn" models of guitars? Is it just preference or is there any other reason?

2-Why do some people like "vintage" guitars? are they made better? or do they feel different?

3- Whats the difference between an artist brand guitar ( like "Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster") and a normal one (American Strat or something)? is it just the colour? examples?
Thanks!!

1 ) Personal preference.

2 ) Made better. Aged wood is usually always going to sound better, usually more of the instrument made by hand. So in result you get better quality, and better sound. Not to mention worth decent amounts of money.

3 ) It depends on what Artist guitar. Things that can vary are ; Pickups. Hardware. Hardware Color. Pots. Wiring. Neck Profile. Neck Radius. Finish. Fret Types. etc.... literally hundreds of things.
Quote by lemurflames

+1

1. Its definitely an individuals preference

2. Not all vintage guitars are good, but many of the bad one have been destroyed. Some people like to have something that is unusual or hard for other people to have. Some people think they are preserving something that might otherwise stop existing.
1. Personal preference, I love beat up looking guitars (it can go overboard though).

2. They are generally made of better stuff and with better pickups than most current production guitars, also aging does contribute to the better tone. However, they are hell of expensive to buy: very basic models like Gibson Melody Makers start at about 2000$ if you are lucky, some of the most expensive ones are '59 Les Pauls, which cost 250-500K$.

Also, as already said not all vintage guitars are very desireable, mostly 70's to early 80's Gibsons and Fenders were pretty poorly built guitars in general.

3. You often get a lot of specs on a signature guitar that you wouldn't get otherwise, at least not stock. For example you (usually) don't get a mahogany Strat/Tele with EMGs and compound neck radius outside of Jim Root Strat/Tele.
Often people say it's fanboy-ish to buy signature gear, but it's actually a great way to get some cool specs which you don't get from the "regular" models.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
1. Feels worn in.

2. Same reason people buy vintage cars/toasters etc.

3. Different reasons for different models.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
People are into the whole old growth wood thing with vintage guitars. It's stuff that isn't available anymore due to laws that protect old growth forests, so new guitars don't use the same kind of wood.
Would anyone shoot me if I said I like my guitars with history?

I mean, a new guitar is nice too... But with an old guitar, it's like I'm wearing beer goggles, in that I'm able to forgive certain faults it might have, just because it looks and sound so freaking awesome. For me, a new guitar would go straight back to where it came from.

And yes, it's a LOT of personal preference. Who'd've thought.

Quote by Skysc
[...] ( in fact most people think they're ugly , made a poll and youll see ) [...]

Yes, doing a poll like that on UG will probably yield those results.
The way I think of it even if I take good care my instruments over time you can't avoid dings and buckle rash. I don't mind what the back of my guitars look like. But I try to keep the front of my guitars looking mint.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300