I have a Fender Starcaster J-Bass and a Noteworthy 20 watt amp. (What can I say, it was my first bass and money is tight). I have been playing now for a little over a year but I put a lot of time into practicing. So these days I'm trying to play Slayer songs such as World Painted Blood and Raining Blood but it sounds like molasses when I do. I play with my fingers but I have some picks and I have tried those but it's about the same. So I'm wondering how to play the super fast stuff and still have some note clarity. Thanks for any advice.
Quote by destroy_techno
it's just a question of actually playing the fast stuff tightly

Don't jump to speeds you can't play yet, work on it gradually with a metronome and you'll see good progress

This, and add treble and mids, reduce the bass on your amp. Use your tone knob to accent the bright on your bass, try maybe using more of the bridge pickup.
Quote by destroy_techno

Don't jump to speeds you can't play yet, work on it gradually with a metronome and you'll see good progress

Obviously there is no way around practice, but I need to know what to practice doing.

Another thing is that it seems like it's only the E string that I have this problem with.
But Askrere's idea might be the solution.

Something else I was wondering is if the type of strings would make a difference?
Work on your technique!
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
Doesn't necessarily have to be a technique issue. Cheap basses with cheap electronics through cheap amps with dead strings are liable to sound muddy/flat no matter who plays them.

When did you last change the strings on your bass?
if i'm playing quickly, i'll generally play right up near the bridge with a thin pick or right over the bridge pickup with 3 fingers.
One thing i'm trying out is putting a pick in the gap between the bridge pickup and the body so it acts like another string would do, it gives me something to 'hit' before i play the string again. this is for the lowest string, in my case the E.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Ziphoblat
Doesn't necessarily have to be a technique issue. Cheap basses with cheap electronics through cheap amps with dead strings are liable to sound muddy/flat no matter who plays them.

When did you last change the strings on your bass?

They're still stock actually. I don't know anything about strings though, so I don't know what to get or how often to change them.

Would lowering the action help anything?
Lowering the action is unlikely to increase clarity. Year old stock strings though? They'll be dead as hell. Get some new strings, just standard gauge (45-105) steel roundwound strings from any reputable brand (Ernie Ball, DR, Rotosound etc) if you don't know where to begin. Changing strings is easy, you can find tutorials online. That'll make the world of difference to your clarity and general tone on the whole. It's something you'll have to do eventually, and it definitely sounds like you need it now.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Lowering the action is unlikely to increase clarity. Year old stock strings though? They'll be dead as hell.

I thought you might say that.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Hello,everybody.I'm new here.If you want to make friends to me ,just contact me.

________________________________________________________________________*links removed by moderator*