Hi guys. Though I got my electric guitar a few years ago and also got an acoustic in high school (which is a crappy made w/ cheap plywood and it has a tad high action), I never became serious in learning to play it. Well I became serious at some point in time but I dont have a budget to take a lesson, and some of my friends back in high school who knows how to play can't teach me well...

For my guitar, I have here the GSA6J jumpstart kit from Ibanez. My father bought this one for me and from the reviews, seems like it's a decent one and from personal perspective even though I still dont have a good ear, I like it's sound.

For the amplifier, I got here the one that comes with the kit. It's a 15W amp. The reviews says it's not that good but still I find it usable (I also use it as my speaker for my PC. ). Also I have here a copy of some guitar amp software (Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 4, and Peavey Revalver MKIII), I've played with those softwares before just to see how it works though I dont have any idea on what I am doing but seems like it's much better to use than my ibanez amp (still the amp is my speaker).

For my resources (as I am only learning by myself), first I have this forum to ask questions like this, also I can get free tabs here. I also have a copy of Guitarpro 6 and for the lessons, I got it from justinguitar (w/c is also the reason why I got my interest back). For me the lessons are much tailored to my taste as a beginner and much better than my friends teaching me.

For the musical styles, well Im not yet playing (just doing some finger exercises for a while now) but in terms of musical taste or influence I've been listening to mostly rock music such as metal, harcore, punk, even alternative rock as long as it is rock and will be considered music specially from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s (but not the commercialized/mainstream ones)...

That sums up what Ive got and that's the only thing that I have. Now for my question...

I've been doing the lessons from justinguitar and I am now on stage 3 and I can now play with the open chords: D,A,E,Am,Em,C,G though Im not yet comfortable or still having a hard time playing specially when changing between some of the chords and my fingers still sores. I've been following his practice routine and also the songs that he recomends. But Im afraid that I might lose interest again if I dont find myself having any progress.

I would like to know or at least point me in the right direction which songs or where to find songs that suits my taste in music and also suits for a beginner like me. Is there any rock songs that only need the chords that I said above that I can play with? it doesn't matter if it's just converted to open chords (I dont know the term) because it seems that most rock songs use power chords, it doesn't needs to sound the same as long as it sounds near to the original and I can sing with it (in my mind) and acoustic versions will also be good...

Sorry for the long post... Thanks guys...
Why don't you try finding a song that you like, then learn it? If you don't know how to play the chords, you can learn it while learning the song. Makes practicing more fun, IMO.

Not exactly a rock song per se (I honestly can't think of a rock song that uses open chords. Probably has more to do with me than the genre, though.), but Mad World by Tears for Fears originally (covered by many artistes since; I prefer the version by Adam Lambert) uses Am, C, G and D for most, if not all of the song.
Last edited by triface at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by triface
Why don't you try finding a song that you like, then learn it? If you don't know how to play the chords, you can learn it while learning the song. Makes practicing more fun, IMO.

Not exactly a rock song per se (I honestly can't think of a rock song that uses open chords. Probably has more to do with me than the genre, though.), but Mad World by Tears for Fears originally (covered by many artistes since) uses Am, C, G and D for most, if not all of the song.

Thanks for the reply... Hmmm... Does that mean it's ok to practice playing songs with different chords or with chords that I haven't learned from the lessons yet while Im taking or following the lessons from justinguitar? Sounds really more fun... I'll check that song that you mentioned. BTW, as of now Im also practicing the song Get Free by The Vines and from what you've said, seems Im doing ok...
Last edited by fr0z3n1337 at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by fr0z3n1337
Does that mean it's ok to practice playing songs with different chords or with chords that I haven't learned from the lessons yet while Im taking or following the lessons from justinguitar?

I don't think that's something to be concerned about, actually. If anything, you're actually preparing yourself for later lessons.

Most of these lessons don't have to be followed strictly in their order, unless we're talking about techniques which build off fundamentals. Chords, IMO, are all about the muscle memory, so unless learning songs actually gets in way of your practicing, don't worry about it.
Last edited by triface at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by triface
I don't think that's something to be concerned about, actually. If anything, you're actually preparing yourself for later lessons.

Most of these lessons don't have to be followed strictly in their order, unless we're talking about techniques which build off fundamentals. Chords, IMO, is all about the muscle memory, so unless learning songs actually gets in way of your practicing, don't worry about it.

I see... I'll keep that in mind, specially about the fundamental techniques (seems like thats the thing I should be serious about)... I've checked the song and I remembered that I heard it before... Good song, I also checked the chords and it's only composed of Em, A, G, D. Thank you very much dude...