does any know anything about the roland cube amps? how do they
stack up against other medelling amps; peavy, line 6, etc.
just looking for a good practice amp, around 300 bucks, for metal.
the cube caught my interest a lil and just lookin for your thoughts...
Roland cube sounds really good for a practice amp when it's set to brit combo with maxed out gain. Not sure how good it is against a 15 watt vypyr though.
gear- esp viper 1000, gibson sg special faded
budget- arounnd 300, more or less
lookin for new, i got guitar center store credit
genre- thrash, metal. pantera, megadeth, exodus
las vegas, nv
practice for home, and jamming with friends sometimes
well i recently got a vypyr 60 tube, but im having second thoughts. its alright and everything, but idk im not feelin it that much. starting to look like alot of crap i dont need on it, and a real pain in the ass to get what i want out of it.
i dont really want alot of bells and whistle cause in theory it looks cool, i only need a few things out of it, some good thrash sound, couple effects, not much else
I'd test out a microcube at guitar center, I'm sure they might have one. It's not going to sound like a rectifier or anything though. Also if you do test it out the R-fier (highest amp setting next to mic) doesn't really sound good to me, the brit combo (middle setting) sounds really decent on maxed gain.
I have a 30x for practicing, sounds great for the price!
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I too am a big Cube fan. I own 3 of them! It was always my understanding/opinion that the Vypyr was the better amp for metal though. As others have suggested, go try out a Cube and see what you think before you buy one - unless GC have a good returns policy. The best thing about the Cube is the simple 'interface' so if the Vypyr is annoying you for having too many controls etc then you will most certainly prefer the Cube.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I've got the 40xl........great, been using it for a year for worship->as I lay dying. No regrets. You can get a Good sound out of every model, u just need to tweak it right. (not really sure if the EXTREME is very necessary on it......)
The clean channel on cubes is great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Don't like the vypyr 60?

Sell it and get a 6505.

Nothing more straight up, one trick pony, metal than that amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Sanpera pedal for your Vyper 60? Then you can just set up patches and not have to stuff around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sanpera pedal for your Vyper 60? Then you can just set up patches and not have to stuff around.

I think he just wants something more straight up.

While I like the sanpera + Vypyr 60 > 6505 112, he might be better off just getting the 6505.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i actually prefered the cube over the vypyr.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i actually agree with the 6505 thing, but again im just lookin for a practice amp thats worth it, that around 300 bucks. i dont need a perfect amp thats 800 bucks or whatever, ya know just for my room and practicing. right now its pretty much the roland or the vypyr. i have the vypyr but thinkin bout returning it, cause it doesnt seem worth the 450 dollars, and ya just want somethin more simple and reasonable.