Hi

I've got a Yamaha SG200, and I'm struggling to set the intonation!
Especially on the bloody G string (This string also lacks sustain and sounds kinda funny... but I'm getting a new nut, and the frets leveled and crowned soon) I'm sure the problem is at the bridge.

I've been told to check for burs etc on the saddles (It's a tunomatic style bridge, an old one with a retaining wire (which rattles...)- I took the bridge apart and had a look at all the saddles etc, and to my surprise- the G string saddle, the string which sounds funny and wont intonate, was probably in the best condition of them all, with no visible burs etc...
(The guitar is from the early 80s, and it's obviously been played quite a bit, it's then sat in a basement for 20 years)

When I take it for it's fret work etc, should I get the guy to just take some course thread or whatever it's called, and smooth the saddles notches completely...

And if it's not that- what could it be?!
I don't wanna have to get a new bridge, as it's a non-standard size, (not Gibson size) so parts aren't easy to find- and are expensive!

Thanks
stupid question, i know, but...have you changed the strings?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
i'd go ahead and guess it's a truss problem if it's been in a basement for several years - humidity and temp changes do a lot over time. just get your tech to do a full set-up when you get the frets leveled.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i'd go ahead and guess it's a truss problem if it's been in a basement for several years - humidity and temp changes do a lot over time. just get your tech to do a full set-up when you get the frets leveled.

I wouldn't assume it's a truss rod problem, but I'd give it a check... sounds to me like the work you're planning (Nut, Frets, etc...) should take care of it. Getting frets Leveled and Crowned is going to include a truss rod check/adjustment.

After the work is done, check it out.. I'll bet you're problem goes away..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Thanks for the re-assurance, was worried I'd have to fork out for more stuff...
I'm doing the set-up myself though, once the proper work is done by the repair guy, as I'm learning how to set up myself, to hopefully save me allot of cash over the years, I've been playing with the truss recently... takes me a while as I don't dare turn more than 1/4 a day, and even that's in l1/8th turn stages.
Can anyone recommend anything else that may need doing after so long in the basement, I'm thinking some lemon oil on the fret board?