Looking to get a simple cheap recording setup in my room. I'm getting a computer for it soon, 32 bit machine Celeron processor with 2gb ram. It's gonna be dedicated to recording only. I'll be using reaper, and some drum machine software when I can get it.

The computer is free, it just needs ram and a hard drive. Do you even think a 32 bit machine will be suitable for recording?
If anyone could direct me to a cheap high rpm hard drive adequate for what I'll be doing and a decent recording interface, I'd be grateful.
BLANKBLANK
A 32-bit machine is way more than capable of recording. Can't help much with the recording interface as I'm trying to learn more on that subject myself, but for a hard drive...most 7200 RPM hard drives will do like a Western Digital or Seagate. They are very affordable as well, from $50-100 depending on how much space you think you will need. Only thing I would be concerned with is the processor, a Celeron isn't exactly known for it's versatility with today's software but I could always be wrong. I wouldn't doubt it could run some good recording software...I just worry about how well it will perform with it.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
I wont be running many VST's, hopefully.
That's what I said too..
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy

How do you plan on mixing then?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you're running XP, you should be fine.

If you want to go Win7... you'll need more.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy

Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
I'm sure he means VSTi's....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by chord masta'
There should be a thread for budget studios, in my opinion.

For creating them, or to find ones available?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by chord masta'
There should be a thread for budget studios, in my opinion.

To be fair, this section seems to be full of threads along the lines of "I want to start recording, what do I need?"

I wonder if people are capable of doing any research themselves anymore. There are so many very well written articles available online which will help a starter far more than many of the contributers on here. For all the good advice given here, it's outnumbered by the "You need a <insert item> or it will sound terrible".
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by MatrixClaw
For creating them, or to find ones available?

Creating them

Quote by Dilberto
To be fair, this section seems to be full of threads along the lines of "I want to start recording, what do I need?"

I wonder if people are capable of doing any research themselves anymore. There are so many very well written articles available online which will help a starter far more than many of the contributers on here. For all the good advice given here, it's outnumbered by the "You need a <insert item> or it will sound terrible".

True enough, but with a stickied thread giving you a detailed description of what you should buy for each budget would really limit these threads down.

And a lot of those articles are out dated, or people just want to go to a site they trust to give them advice on what to buy.
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel
Last edited by chord masta' at Jan 10, 2012,
"Cheap" and "recording set-up" are three words that are fairly common to ask but difficult to answer without specific parameters. What quality level would you like to achieve? If you're storing ideas then micing the amp up will do but if you're interested in creating serious material you'll spend hundreds on monitors alone, not to mention all the other equipment needed for a quality recording.

The most baic piece of equipment is a half-decent computer. Personally I'm a fan of iMacs. Next you'll need a HDR like Cubase or Logic. If you're on the mac, GarageBand is free but personally I hate it. I lke Cubase and Reaper is a bit like it and free. Get it if you don't have it.

Monitors come next. I take my recordings into college to mix but then again it's nationally renowned so that's a given. I'm going to assume you don't have 20k to spend on speakers. I like Dynaudio BM6-As. Look em up.

Get some good mics. SM-57s and SM-58s are cheap and great. I endorse AKG mics but they aren't exactly cheap. Still, if you can get a used D112 get it. Also get a couple of condensers with flat-ish frequency responses. That should do for mics and it brings me on to my next bit of gear.

Get a mixing desk with phantom power. Allen & Heath are good, not sure about prices.

Acoustically treat your room.

I've missed stuff out and that's a very basic list. You simply cannot get a good recording on shit gear unless you are extremely experienced. Save yourself the hassle and book a studio when you want to record. Yes it's expensive, but it's a damn sight better than dishing money out on a "recording studio" and not having the skill to use it.
Quote by chord masta'
True enough, but with a stickied thread giving you a detailed description of what you should buy for each budget would really limit these threads down.

No, it wouldn't. I remember when there was a sticky about setting up a basic recording setup. There were still 3 or 4 posts on a daily basis on "OH! WHAT DO I NEEEEED!??!"

Quote by Dilberto
For all the good advice given here, it's outnumbered by the "You need a <insert item> or it will sound terrible".

Really? Because thats all I ever post and 99% of the time, I'm right
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
No, it wouldn't. I remember when there was a sticky about setting up a basic recording setup. There were still 3 or 4 posts on a daily basis on "OH! WHAT DO I NEEEEED!??!"

That's still a little better than 5 threads a day, and continuous re posting.
Guitars:

Ibanez RGA32-TYF
Harmony Rocket H53

Amps:

Orange Crush PiX CR35DLX

My youtube cannel