I just have a simple question. I've been starting to read/play some more sheet music and I was wondering how would I go about playing chords with different note durations (i.e. G in the bass with half note value, and a quarter note B and a quarter note C)?

Thanks.
It sounds like you're encountering various kinds of arpegiations of a chord in the sheet music you're reading, or even something a bit polyphonic (like the chords are just formed from a few moving melodies in counterpoint).

Generally, some kind of finger-style playing is going to be used for things like that. So a good idea to approach it would be to assign your fingers to different strings so that you can practically play the notes separately and against each other.

Without anything more specific to go on, I'm not sure if I can say too much more.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 7, 2012,
I don´t understand, aren´t you just playing the quavers, semi-quavers, etc just as long they should ?
Quote by Brainpolice2
It sounds like you're encountering various kinds of arpegiations of a chord in the sheet music you're reading, or even something a bit polyphonic (like the chords are just formed from a few moving melodies in counterpoint).

Generally, some kind of finger-style playing is going to be used for things like that. So a good idea to approach it would be to assign your fingers to different strings so that you can practically play the notes separately and against each other.

Without anything more specific to go on, I'm not sure if I can say too much more.

Yes, it is a finger style song. Like there will be a quarter note stacked on top of a half note. So, do I just hold that half note for the 2 beats while I go on to the next bass note with my free fingers?
well for fingerstyle, most of the times, leave everything ringing as long as possible, unless ofc there is a rest.

its a hard to give a constructive answer based on the little information u gave
All I would say is play ever note to the exact length that is written, ever note is important and the composer would have written different note lengths for a reason, they would have wanted it to sound exactly as they have written.