my parents are divorced and i live in an apartment. that's kind of a problem for playing metal....sounds like absolute shit at a low volume. my dad has a barn on his land and its got places where i could plug my amp in and play.

question is, is the cold air (i live in massachusetts) bad for the guitar and/or the amp?
Not massively, though it may go out of tune more easily, and I wouldn't store it there. The main problem is that it's very hard to play fast with cold fingers, hell, it's difficult to play at all.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Yes. Wood will shrink a bit in dry cold air, but the moisture within the wood freezes and expands! Combined with metal shrinkage...
Dunno about the amp but I'd at least warm it well up before playing.

Build a small heated room in the barn?
You can play it in a cold environment, without worrying about it shrinking, just don't leave it their. Do you see guitarists who are playing outdoor festivals guitars shrinking?
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

This
If you can, build it big enough to fit a drum set, a few amps, and 5 people. Sound proof the hell out of it. It would make for a great jam room.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I know someone that's used an aerospace freezer to extreme-freeze their guitar and then expose it to high heat in an attempt to get the finish to check.

Sadly it didn't work for them because it was a V12 finish, not nitro. But the point is, it didn't damage anything and we're talking waaaaaaaaay colder temperatures & swings in heat than a human being is ever going to experience.

You'll experience it being out of tune until it gets settled at whatever temperature you're playing in -- then it should hold just fine.

I don't know any reason the amp should be affected. If it's a tube amp, just turn it on and let it warm up before playing (like normal). If it's a SS amp, no biggie either way.

As for playing, you might consider putting some plywood up in a corner of the barn to make a "room" setting and then put some space heaters in it -- that'll keep you and your stuff a bit warmer.

Lastly, if you want to jam in your apartment you could always get an amp/processor that will allow you to crank it through headphones and keep the tone you like.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Yes. Wood will shrink a bit in dry cold air, but the moisture within the wood freezes and expands! Combined with metal shrinkage...
Dunno about the amp but I'd at least warm it well up before playing.

actually, there's a woodstove in there i could play near that
Just leave the guitar in a guitar case for an hour or two before you take it out so it can adjust to the outside temperature. If you are playing in weather cold enough to freeze the tiny bit of moisture still left in the guitars wood, your fingers would get frost bit in minutes. So you don't have to worry about that.

Electric guitars are much tougher than people like to admit, they are not like acoustic guitars, whos inside wood is completely exposed to everything, while electrics are mostly sealed completely by a clear coat finish.
I don't think it would really have too much of an effect as long as the barn isn't a permanent habitat for your guitar. My house is pretty cold during the winter and in a case i notice that my guitar tends to be out of tune a lot in the winter but thats it. Also if you have a tube amp you could be putting added stress on your tubes. Overall just don't leave your gear in there when your not playing and it'll be fine.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just leave the guitar in a guitar case for an hour or two before you take it out so it can adjust to the outside temperature. If you are playing in weather cold enough to freeze the tiny bit of moisture still left in the guitars wood, your fingers would get frost bit in minutes. So you don't have to worry about that.

Electric guitars are much tougher than people like to admit, they are not like acoustic guitars, whos inside wood is completely exposed to everything, while electrics are mostly sealed completely by a clear coat finish.

This.

Let your guitar acclimate to the temperature.
Then tune it.
15 - 30 minutes should be enough time.

The only real problems I have had playing outdoors was it made my fingers to cold to play.
As has been suggested the cold won't hurt if the guitars been let to acclimatise. Or you could put a heater in there. If it's cold though make sure you warm your hands up thoroughly before playing. Stretch and make them nice and loose. If you screw your guitar or amp it'll be annoying. If you wreck your hands you can't replace them.
worse for you, your fingers might hurt like crap after it's done. guitars are replacable, fingers are not
I have the same problem, but the small heaten room in the barn solves it. Mine even have a tv and a few couch! I always let my electric guitar stuff there, and even if i dont turn on the heater for a few days, the guitar stays nice.
Temperature alone is not much of a problem. Quickly changing temperature is a bit worse. One sided temperature, like from sitting really close to a heat source, is also a bit worse. Combining temperature change with humidity change is more risky, and the risk increases if the change is fast and extreme.
Man, just Play

If it's not to cold for you to be out there, it's not going to hurt your guitar or amp....

don't store it out there, but just play... Everything will be fine..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!