I have a Floyd rose special on my Schecter and I was wondering what type of lube I should use on the knife edges. Would something like WD 40 work?

Any help apprecciated!
Quote by timbit2006
Probably right around $3000 Canadian(We have to pay a lot more for some stupid reason...).

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
No. Wd-40 is garbage. Use it as a cleaner, not a lubricant.
Alot of ppl use lip balm. A light oil, like mineral oil will do the trick too.
WD-40 leaves gunky residues over time if used for a long time but it'll work. It wasn't really designed as a lubricant but it's one of it's features.
A light 3 in 1 oil should be better if you want an alternative.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
WD-40 leaves gunky residues over time if used for a long time but it'll work. It wasn't really designed as a lubricant but it's one of it's features.
A light 3 in 1 oil should be better if you want an alternative.

So 3 in 1 would work then. I have rust spots on my knife edges so would that damage them further?
Quote by timbit2006
Probably right around $3000 Canadian(We have to pay a lot more for some stupid reason...).

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Not only does it leave a residue it tends to corrode metal as it dries.

I don't know about that I used to use it on the motor of my dirt bikes after I would wash them to displace any remaining water in crevices that i couldn't dry and I had zero oxidation or corrosion, unlike my friends who just let their bikes air dry.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I just dug around a bit and found some lubes I had in my basement.
I have
-ultra slick graphite lubricant
-mr. Zip graphite lubricant
-3 in 1 multi purpose oil
Wich one is best?
Quote by timbit2006

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
I don't know much about graphite lube, but from judging by what I know graphite to be, I'm gunna say go with the 3 in 1 oil. 3in1 should be fine I'm sure there's something better but I should do the job just fine.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by whyze250f
I don't know about that I used to use it on the motor of my dirt bikes after I would wash them to displace any remaining water in crevices that i couldn't dry and I had zero oxidation or corrosion, unlike my friends who just let their bikes air dry.

Well I was an apprentice mechanic for 2 years after 3 years of hs courses and 1 year college. Ive seen its effects long term. Believe what youd like.
not doubting you, just haven't personally seen it after using it for 5 years on the motors of my dirtbikes. Does it only affect certain types of metals? I can't remember what the motor was cast from. I sold them a few years ago.

I will agree with you though it is a poor lubricant, better for cleaning and water displacement.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 7, 2012,
Im sure some metals would hold up better, which ones I do not know.
As long as its cleaned off or other lubricants are added to the mix it wont hurt it.
Tri-flow Superior Dry Lubricant. One little drop goes on the post. Give it a few minutes and it'll be completely dry, leaving a solid Teflon coating. It just wears away with time. No build up or oily residue. Best stuff I ever got my hands on. It's used commonly as a bicycle lubricant so check bike shops for it.

I keep the posts/knife edges lubricated with it and every time I do a string change I put a drop on each saddle where the string rides. Be careful not to get it down in the bridge where the string clamps or it could cause slippage. My guitars stay in tune much better than they use to.
Last edited by poppameth at Jan 7, 2012,