I have been back and forth about getting a Mesa Mark IV combo for a while now.
I don't really have a subtantial income so I don't quite have the money to get one.

The more I think about it the more I want to just break down and get a 5150 combo or something like that. It would save me a few hundred dollars but I'm just worried I would regret not going all out and get the mesa.

Also how much of a higher quality is the Mesa compared to the Peavey? Will it matter all that much in the longrun?
They are both excellent amplifiers, if you've never owned an amp of this calibre, you're unlikely to be disappointed with the Peavey. The mesa is indeed of a higher quality, but it can be said, that the further up the price range you get, the smaller the differences become.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I have to say, I wouldn't say either is "higher" quality. The 5150 and Mark IV are just fundamentally different beasts. I mean, if you were talking about build quality and reliability, or amount of gain on tap, the Mark IV would actually be a step down from the Peavey. They're very close in actual quality, the difference is in the design and intended tone. The Peavey's a gain monster, a metallic riff machine with a clean channel thrown in as an afterthought. The Mesa's a lead amp, designed for smooth, silky soloing at any level of gain, with a rhythm channel thrown in because why not. If you get a 5150 and love it, switching to a Mark IV might not be any improvement at all. At the same time, if your style is best suited by a Mesa, a 5150 is probably never going to do what you want.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by Any7423
They are both excellent amplifiers, if you've never owned an amp of this calibre, you're unlikely to be disappointed with the Peavey. The mesa is indeed of a higher quality, but it can be said, that the further up the price range you get, the smaller the differences become.

I never have had an amp of this quality. My first amp was a fender frontman 15 watt and now I'm using a Vypyr 75.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
I have to say, I wouldn't say either is "higher" quality. The 5150 and Mark IV are just fundamentally different beasts. I mean, if you were talking about build quality and reliability, or amount of gain on tap, the Mark IV would actually be a step down from the Peavey. They're very close in actual quality, the difference is in the design and intended tone. The Peavey's a gain monster, a metallic riff machine with a clean channel thrown in as an afterthought. The Mesa's a lead amp, designed for smooth, silky soloing at any level of gain, with a rhythm channel thrown in because why not. If you get a 5150 and love it, switching to a Mark IV might not be any improvement at all. At the same time, if your style is best suited by a Mesa, a 5150 is probably never going to do what you want.

would I be able to get decent cleans from the 5150?
Decent, yes. Not great, but definitely decent.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
It's down to personal preference then. You won't be disappointed with either. I personally would go for the Mesa.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
So a local shop a ways away from where I am has one used at $600. There isn't a footswitch however.

I have seen them offered for less on craigslist with the footswitch.

How much would the footswitch be seperately?

Also, would it be rude or poor form to try and get a lower price from a small business music store?

Edit: the guitar center nearest by has a 6505 for $579 new and around $300 used.
What gives? Why is the 6505 cheaper? Is it worse than the 5150?
Last edited by zilant at Jan 8, 2012,