Alright, I've got a lot of stuff around myself atm. Mostly school stuff really. But anyway, I wanna hear what you guys do to motivate yourself to play guitar. I listen to some good guitar playing. Idk why, but I get this guilt like feeling if I haven't played for 3-5 hours whenever I hear Page blasting "Black Dog".
-good playing
-Jimmy Page

lol wut

I don't really need to do anything though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah I watch a random video of some guitar god just noodling around, drop my jaw and start playing, in hopes of being able to do the same like in 10 years
He might not be the best technical guitarist, but that doesn't matter when you make melodic riffs and solos like him.
Get yourself a new guitar or amp, you will have a huge confidence boost and if you find the right guitar, you won't want to stop playing
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
this thread reminds me of a G3 dvd I must give back to my friend. I think I've "borrowed" it for over a year now

I just listen to random songs and then pick up my guitar and play. Maybe improv over it for a bit. But I always find that from time to time watching a video of a good guitarist gets me excited and in the mood again.
Quote by RiffsanBridges
He might not be the best technical guitarist, but that doesn't matter when you steal melodic riffs and solos like him.

Fixed
Stop listening to music/guitar based music for a while, then find a song with some awesome riffs in and it'll make you want to pick up again.
I change tunings.

Honestly, it makes a world of difference. It feels like playing a totally different instrument.

I also try to listen to a lot of classical music, and modern composers as well. Some of the really weird stuff makes for great inspiration. Some of my favorite improv riffs came from listening to the weird composers:

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_YU0TutrM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWdQBblec0M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N6oYHdcf9o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqQl0CNNCY

It's really weird to listen to, but the point I'm trying to make is that by familiarizing yourself with insanely odd music, you're breaking the mentality of always playing the same thing over and over. I know a lot of you are huge fans of John Frusciante, and while I'm not much of a fan myself, I have a lot of respect for something I heard him say in an interview video; it was along the lines of playing outside of the normal 16ths patterns.
Quote by Any7423
Get yourself a new guitar or amp, you will have a huge confidence boost and if you find the right guitar, you won't want to stop playing

agreed, if you find the gear you love you won't stop playing
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by CV334
I change tunings.

Funny thing that you'd say that, I just played in a different today, and it made it kinda interesting.
Quote by CV334
I change tunings.

Honestly, it makes a world of difference. It feels like playing a totally different instrument.

Oddly enough, this is true. You don't have to make a drastic change; just dropping the low string a step or tuning down a semitone makes a huge difference.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CV334
I change tunings.

This usually does it for me. Also, set realistic goals. Find a song with a tasty but not too complex riffage and go to town.
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
Quote by theogonia777
Oddly enough, this is true. You don't have to make a drastic change; just dropping the low string a step or tuning down a semitone makes a huge difference.

I write most of my songs de-tuned a semitone
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
If you have an acoustic, try open C tuning. It sounds so awesome, and once you get the hang of a few chords/inversions you can make some really nice sounding songs.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
If you have an acoustic, try open C tuning. It sounds so awesome, and once you get the hang of a few chords/inversions you can make some really nice sounding songs.

+100 on that

I leave two of my guitars tuned to Open C at all times in case I feel like playing some Devin-Townsend style insanity haha.

It's a great tuning.

CGCGCE

Or on a 7-string:

GCGCGCE
I've been playing Open C6 (CEGAce) recently. It's a lot of fun, but most of you probably wouldn't want to try it with whatever strings are on your guitar right now. I'm using 32, 26, 19, 17, 16, 11 from low to high, though I think I should have more like 33, 26, 20, 18, 15, 13 instead, but that's what they had at the store for single strings.
Agreed on how much of a beast Jimmy Page is. Led Zeppelin always motivates me.

Plus, I have an audition for Tech Music School in London on the 2nd of Feb so I've been practicing my ass off these last few days.