Hey guys!

So, in the last few weeks my pedalboard has been expanding at an alarming rate, and it will expand more in the future. The problem is, I'm running out of patch cables, so I need new ones.

There's lots of stuff on the market these days, but what does UG think is the best patch cable-guy out there at the moment?

Don't mind about budget (within reason of course).

Thanks in advance!!

inb4 'post pics of pedalboard' - NGD will be up soon
inb4 OP can't inb4
Last edited by Y00p at Jan 7, 2012,
It's all snobbery, you won't hear an audible difference whatever patch cables you use.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
if you don't mind soldering every plug, it doesn't matter what cable. it's the plug that makes quite a difference. and no, plugs don't sound different. it's just that cable kits from george L or lava elc kits have nice plugs that are so easy to assemble. i think that makes the biggest difference in patch cables.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Any7423
It's all snobbery, you won't hear an audible difference whatever patch cables you use.

Good for you, Mr. Anti-snobbery-snob.

Quote by ECistheBest
if you don't mind soldering every plug, it doesn't matter what cable. it's the plug that makes quite a difference. and no, plugs don't sound different. it's just that cable kits from george L or lava elc kits have nice plugs that are so easy to assemble. i think that makes the biggest difference in patch cables.

So, it's not the cable that makes the difference, but it's the plug, and there's no difference in plugs either?

Aaaaaaanywho...
I wouldn't really mind it either way, solderless or non-solderless. I've heard good and bad things about both of these, but on both of their websites (the good about their own and the bad about the other, obviously). I was hoping to get more independent user-'reviews' here, about either brand and others as well.

Quote by TheGuyWhoseNameIDon'tRemember

Mogami.

Simples.

I ain't never heard of no brand who dun' called itself Simples, do clarify!
Noted, thanks!
Last edited by Y00p at Jan 7, 2012,
its just that some plugs are made better, doesnt come apart easily, and don't have to solder etc.

i use lava ELC for patch cable because their plugs are amazing. ive never really cared about the cable itself, because if they're short, there wont be any difference. if a cable has 22pF per ft, and another has 33pF per ft, and u have a 6" cable... 11pF vs 16pF. it really doesnt matter much.

idk. i just think it's the plugs that make difference in diy patch cables. how fast and easy you can assemble it. how bulky they are, etc.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
its just that some plugs are made better, doesnt come apart easily, and don't have to solder etc.

i use lava ELC for patch cable because their plugs are amazing. ive never really cared about the cable itself, because if they're short, there wont be any difference. if a cable has 22pF per ft, and another has 33pF per ft, and u have a 6" cable... 11pF vs 16pF. it really doesnt matter much.

idk. i just think it's the plugs that make difference in diy patch cables. how fast and easy you can assemble it. how bulky they are, etc.

Radioshack pancake plugs work wonders for me.
And I only solder the center conductor on those. Never the ground.
If soldering scares you, learn how to solder. It aint rocket science.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
George L's are great. You can make them any length you want and you don't need to solder.
Quote by CodeMonk
Radioshack pancake plugs work wonders for me.
And I only solder the center conductor on those. Never the ground.

Is it just me or does this seem retarded? If you didn't solder the ground then the shielding does nothing. If you have a bunch of ac adapters on your board then I'd say thats a set up prone to interference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
its because the whole thing is sandwiched by the shielding part of the plug. so it's not soldered, but it's still making contact with ground.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ahh, ok, that makes sense. I've never messed with the pancakes so I was unsure of their construction.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I solder braid to pancakes. There's a knack to it You have to get the plug nice and hot first then it's pretty easy. Hot enough that your solder is flowing but not so hot as to melt the internal insulation in the plug. Pre-tin your braid and it's easy peasy. It just takes a knack.
I put them in a vice with rubber jaws.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Is it just me or does this seem retarded? If you didn't solder the ground then the shielding does nothing. If you have a bunch of ac adapters on your board then I'd say thats a set up prone to interference.

Yeah, I fold the shield back onto the cable. The plug body holds it all together.

I used to solder the braid to the jack.
But after looking at it, it seemed pointless when I could just fold it over and screw it all together.
Makes it easier if I need to repair it as well.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 8, 2012,
Translation: I'm a lazy bastard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If soldering scares you, learn how to solder. It aint rocket science.

It doesn't. As I said, I'd be fine either way, I can solder.

Anway, what I'm looking for is a mix of functionality (ease of assembly) vs. quality vs. durability (outside of user error, of course) vs. look (I want my board tidy).

As I said, I have seen the Lava's en the George L's, but I can't help but wonder about the durability, without any soldering and all. Let alone the fact that I've heard people there's like a one in five chance the plug won't even work (I don't know if that's due to user error). Both of them look amazing, though.

Also, availability; I can't get Radioshack stuff, as I'm from the Europes. Lava kits are easily obtainable here, as are George L's plugs and other various plugs.

So far, I'm leaning towards 'Get whatever the hell you can get the fastest', but more debate is always welcome.
Ya sometimes lava cables don't work. But that's cuz the core wires are touching the shielding. It's not rocket science to make one, but if ure not careful, it might short out on itself too.

About the durability, once it's made, my lava cables haven't gone weird on me yet. A lot of cheap patch cables get loose on the plug and stuff but lava doesn't... And I twisted the thing on haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard