I have a M-Audio Fast Track with protool 8 LE. Could anyone help me figure out how to get a Djent tone from it.
1: Get an amp sim
2: (For starters) cut your bass and highs, boost mids
3: Tune LOW
4: Pick as hard as a bitch
5:????
6: Djent!
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof

This
Chop off mishas fingers. Seriously, dude could djent on a twin. On a foreal note, low gain, just enough to get a bit of sustain, and then add a compressor
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Chop off mishas fingers. Seriously, dude could djent on a twin. On a foreal note, low gain, just enough to get a bit of sustain, and then add a compressor

*writes on a notepad*

Do I use a bonesaw or bolt cutters?

Well I use the Sansamp PSA-1 amp sim. It has bass and treble but no control for the mids so would a EQ sim work just fine?
Quote by NosralTserrof

as troll as the format may be, its 100%

all bout mids.

just depends how an amp can handle it.

i just played a 7 string tuned a step down through a dual recto and orange 2x12 and all i had to do is turn the mid knob up and insta-Djent
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Use the TSE X50 sim, with the TSE 808 infront set to drive - 0, gain - 9/10, tone - 10. Then load up the guitarhacks impulses. I usually use the original 3 set all together. But it's worth experimenting with.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Never used Pro Tools but if it supports VST then yeah. You'll need an impulse loader too. I use LeCab 2.0 which is pretty good.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

What is a good program for VST's. I tried a few different ones but they all had issues working correctly with my fast track.
Reaper, tbh.
Quote by Cathbard

Aye. It's a proper DAW.
Quote by Cathbard

Honestly i have the same fast track, that version of protools blah blah blah... That pro tools sucks. I use Ableton live 8.2.2. Works perfectly with ableton 0 latency whatsoever i do have a pretty crazy custom built computer but ive never heard anyone complain about ableton.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
cool. Ill check it out, thanks for the help everyone.

*edit* I just found that its not a free program so ill use the evaluation for now but whats the best free program out there?
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Jan 7, 2012,
It is free essentially. You have the 30 day trial, but after that you can carry on with the same features and everything but you have to look at a 'BUY ME!' screen for 5 seconds every time you start it up.
Quote by Cathbard

K thanks. But for some reason its not working with my fast track. I got it all set up and it shows my channels properly but I am getting no input or output. I loaded up protools and my tuner and it worked fine so I know its not the fast track.
Have you selected the right audio device in your preferences?
Quote by Cathbard

I can djent on a standard tuned guitar though my tiny terror! its all about the heavy picking/even heavier muting
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Shit in your input jack.

Failing that, get a free version of Amplitube 3 and then spend $20 on the Soldano SLO model and the Mesa Rectifier Cab model.
Quote by dementiacaptain

I honestly dont get why people like to use compressors for djent. Whenever I add one to my chain, it usually efs up the noise gate and undoes what I try to get with low gain

@TS
Either way, low gain, aggressive noise gate, good muting technique, aggressive picking.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Shit in your input jack.

Failing that, get a free version of Amplitube 3 and then spend $20 on the Soldano SLO model and the Mesa Rectifier Cab model.

Or save your money and use free amp sims which can achieve just as much.
Quote by Cathbard

picking technique, very low bass, higher mids, and a VERY aggresive noise gate. suit gain to taste IMO, i have mine fairly high up but it still sounds pretty Djenty. if you want to immitate certain bands then i'd look into what they actually use, which i probably an AxeFx or an ENGL/6505/5150 with noise gates, and compressors.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I've googled it with no success... what in the world is a "djent"? The most understandable definition i got was something along the lines of "picking hard and then palm muting """in a weird way""" "... what?
Palm mute further away from the bridge.

Youtube Djent tone and take a peek.
So it kinda makes a really muffled note? That doesn't sound very hard to do. And I did try youtubing it. The videos that I found were all terrible sound quality and I couldn't tell what they were doing.
Djent is a onomatopoeia for the sound that is the backbone of the genre.

Another explanation is that Djent is a evolution of Prog metal that has more of a Groove, and more use of awkward time signatures.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Twistedrock
Or save your money and use free amp sims which can achieve just as much.

I haven't had much luck in that regard. Then again I've given up on amp modeling completely.
I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 and a DI box which I plug my guitar into. I route that into Sonar X1 (My DAW) and you can just use amp sims for your tone. lectro is a good amp sim and keFir is a good impulse loader software.

Result for me.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/chugchugchchchuga.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/cantstopchuggggggggg.mp3

Later you can buy a reamp box and route the DI signal you had with the DI box to the reamp box and into the input of your amp. Basically sending the guitar signal you just recorded to the amp. You can then mic the amp up or send the signal of the preamp into your interface for better tone.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X