im learning it last few weeks amd have it down...i start on the 5th on E then 8th on E then 5'7 5'7 5'7 5'8 5' 8 the whole way down and back up

ok so where else can you play this scale on the fret board?

can you play scles just anywhere or only on certain frets?

also some advice on what scales to tart learning next.i like to play rock..thanks in advance boys
You can play scales anywhere, depending upon what key your playing in. You need to learn the notes of the fretboard, but mainly the notes on the Low E string.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
oh ok so that scales their is that called the g pantatonic scales right?so i can only play that starting on the g note of every string?

im probably waaay off!
No, it's called the G pentatonic scale if you start it on the 3rd fret. If you play the same pattern beginning on the 5th fret, it becomes A pentatonic and so on.. Assuming you mean Minor Pentatonic.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
oh ok i see so you can start it anywhere on the fret board you like'so in essence i have learned that scales correct?
It gets a bit heavy for new players towards the end, but there is a lot to learn from what he says. Dorian mode is the second note in a major scale, so (in C for example) instead of C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. Dorian mode is D, E, F, G, A, B, C, D.
Basically, a pentatonic scale is made up of only 5 notes, the A Minor Pentatonic you are playing is made up of A, C, D, E and G, think of it as a set of notes, and not just frets. As long as you're playing those five notes, it doesn't matter where you are on the guitar neck, you'll still be in the key of A Minor.
ah ha now i see,, very good celestial!!

so once i know the the whereabouts of these notes on the E string i can switch between them and il always be playin a minor....thanks very much thats exactly what i wanted to know only didnt no how to word it!
3 5 8 10 12 are the frets these notes fall on so these are the notes i can play this scale on then correct?

ok for my next question which scale should i practice next.i wanna play rock so which one along with this is most commonly used?
Quote by wld-kid
3 5 8 10 12 are the frets these notes fall on so these are the notes i can play this scale on then correct?

ok for my next question which scale should i practice next.i wanna play rock so which one along with this is most commonly used?

Not quite, that's where the different positions come into play. What you need to do is find those five notes on every string of your guitar, and then you'll be going in the right direction.

E-------------------------------8-10
B ------------------------8-10----------
G ------------------7-9-----------------
D ------------7-10--------------------
A ------7-10---------------------------
E 8-10-------------------------------

There's the second position on the A Minor pentatonic, the same five notes, layed in a different position, and, this may confuse you a little, but this position is also the C Major Pentatonic scale, as A Minor and C Major are made up of the same notes.

As you understand the Minor Pentatonic (or will soon, hopefully), you should learn the Major and Minor scales, as they are what all music is based on, especially the major scales, as chord formulas are described in terms of the major scale.

From there, you can then branch into things like the Harmonic Minor scale, Melodic Minor, and all of the modes, however, the more advanced stuff isn't required just yet, or ever, in fact, if that's not to your taste.
I can't believe how many responses there are to this thread and yet no one has offered any helpful knowledge. The only good thing I've seen mentioned is to learn the fretboard. Based on your first post, you are playing the notes A C D E G, which fits into either A minor or C major pentatonic. Now that you know that, learn the fretboard and find those notes. Anywhere you find those notes, you can play the same scale. Don't think of scales as patterns or boxed shapes on the neck. Learn them as a series of notes and intervals and learn the notes of the fretboard. It will make things a whole lot easier.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
I can't believe how many responses there are to this thread and yet no one has offered any helpful knowledge. The only good thing I've seen mentioned is to learn the fretboard. Based on your first post, you are playing the notes A C D E G, which fits into either A minor or C major pentatonic. Now that you know that, learn the fretboard and find those notes. Anywhere you find those notes, you can play the same scale. Don't think of scales as patterns or boxed shapes on the neck. Learn them as a series of notes and intervals and learn the notes of the fretboard. It will make things a whole lot easier.

<_< Not to be rude, but you've pretty much regurgitated my last two replies.
OK SO WHEREVER A C D E G ARE FOUND ON A STRING THATS WHERE I CAN PLAY THAT MINOR PENTETONIC SCALE!GOT YA!

HAD an awful episode last nite my jack connection broke the washer and nut fell off and the connection recedded back into the guitar so i took the small bit off at the back and feed the connection back through thren tightened the washer and nut back on..its working again with the amp so hopefully i did it right!
ACDEG Are the A Minor Pentatonic scale, as long as you're playing those five notes, you're in the key of A Minor.
From reading this whole thing, I feel like he thinks you can move up to say the 8th Fret C on the Low E and play the same shape as the 5th A and be in A minor, lol...maybe I interpreted wrong....just so im clear your clear, that isnt how it works...if you move up to that C on the 8th with your first finger and keep the same "shape" or...series of notes and intervals...you are now in C minor. As much as i dont disagree with him on the fact you should learn the notes and the intervals, I feel for beginners learning the boxes at each position in any key is easier to picture and learn off the bat to get the fingers movin, then learn the notes themselves. In the end, you may not wanna think of it as a pattern, but no matter where you start its the same if you're going from G minor to A minor to C minor pentatonic with a different position and same shapes...so ultimately..it is a pattern.

Getting to the same point, just taking a different route, as the pattern is the interval steps, I just think beginners may be confused by throwing intervals out there first, and especially the notes at each fret. However that said, DO learn the notes, practice a string a day naming them, or a fret a day, etc. Follow that up by working on a basic major or minor chord a day memorizing the notes. When it comes down to improvising/solo time...very good stuff to know in any scale.
Last edited by shinedown98 at Jan 8, 2012,