Page 1 of 2
Im looking to upgrade from a peavey vypyr 30 watt.
i play a schecter c-1 blacjack and syn custom.
i live in nyc
ill go used, doesnt matter
looking for it to be able to gig
want it to sound great for rock, bands like avenged sevenfold, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, etc
budget is 1000$

im open to suggestions, i dont know much about gear. thank you

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT peavey 6505+ amp head with a mesa rectifier 2x12 cab ?
Last edited by hallaatyaboi at Jan 10, 2012,
Used Peavey 6505 combo or stack.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well...I hate to give a generic answer, but get a 6505. That should cover your bases pretty well.
Quote by hallaatyaboi
edited

Zakk Wylde doesn't use a JVM, he uses a modified JCM 800. You're not going to be able to get cleans and dirt out of a JCM 800 at the same time, because they're single channel amps.

You mentioned wanting to sound like Atreyu, Bullet, A7X, etc. - the 6505 will do all that and more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the marshall won't give you the sound your looking for with those bands. you need something with an american type of aggressive tone. a marshall will have more of a warmer growl as opposed to the aggressive, high gain american beasts that these bands use.

6505+
jet city jcm 100 hdm (now used by a7x)
Either a 6505+ half stack, or a Jet City JCA100 HDM half stack.

6505+ won't sound ideal for A7X, but can do it. JCA won't sound ideal for Atreyu of BFMV, but can do it.

The 6505+ would probably be a better choice overall, IMO.

Marshall honestly doesn't make any amps that sound good for modern metal. That's just not their thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
try stuff out and get what sounds good to you. everybody has their own tastes. also depends how far you are in your music career.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
quick search shows me that there is a 6505 head, Spider Valve, Mesa Express, Marshall DSL, Sovtek Mig, Carvin V3, 5150, VHT Deliverance, Marshall TSL, Randall MTS Lynchbox, another DSL, a 6505+112 and two Mesa Tremoverbs on your craigslist.

all posted since Wednesday.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
quick search shows me that there is a 6505 head, Spider Valve, Mesa Express, Marshall DSL, Sovtek Mig, Carvin V3, 5150, VHT Deliverance, Marshall TSL, Randall MTS Lynchbox, another DSL, a 6505+112 and two Mesa Tremoverbs on your craigslist.

all post since Wednesday.
how could you not like this VHT sound for metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_AtfNZLkIs

I think he's using a boost but this is a DSL. It's Marshally..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZXaFVIiuI&feature=related

6505 with a tubescreamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI

Just matters which "metal" tone you're after.. (but I know what I'd pick)
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by BobDetroit
how could you not like this VHT sound for metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_AtfNZLkIs

I think he's using a boost but this is a DSL. It's Marshally..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZXaFVIiuI&feature=related

6505 with a tubescreamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI

Just matters which "metal" tone you're after.. (but I know what I'd pick)

I hope that clip shows why I absolutely hate that people say Marshalls can't do modern metal. The DSL, TSL and JVM can sound brutal enough.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I hope that clip shows why I absolutely hate that people say Marshalls can't do modern metal. The DSL, TSL and JVM can sound brutal enough.

Anything can sound brutal when it's dual or quad tracked and EQ'd in post processing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Either a 6505+ half stack, or a Jet City JCA100 HDM half stack.

6505+ won't sound ideal for A7X, but can do it. JCA won't sound ideal for Atreyu of BFMV, but can do it.

The 6505+ would probably be a better choice overall, IMO.

Marshall honestly doesn't make any amps that sound good for modern metal. That's just not their thing.

^ Youve obviously never played a jvm lol
The amp models on your vypyr dont count as amps youve played either

The jvm would cover the tones he wants easily, this is just an example of a modern metal band that used jvms- all shall persish used jvms on there first 2 albums and tours supporting them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AH79suFFk8

Also matt tuck from bfmv uses a modded 6505, padget uses a 3 ch triple rectifier boosted with a ibanez ts9dx.

Look at 2 ch rectos too theyre easily had under $1000
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
Anything can sound brutal when it's dual or quad tracked and EQ'd in post processing.

Have you seen all shall perish live ?
Theres plenty of vids of them live using jvms and them in the studio check em out
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I haven't played a JVM, no. But I saw Trivium when they were using them, and it sounded pretty bad. They quickly switched over to using the Axe FX after that tour.

And like I always try to stress, album tone means nothing. It's never representative of what an amp actually sound like, because of double/quad tracking, among a plethora of other studio tricks.

I'm sure that if the JVM was good for metal, it'd be recommended here. But it never is. There's always people asking if they're good, but the JVM almost always gets shot down in a comparison with other "metal" amps in the same price range.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I haven't played a JVM, no. But I saw Trivium when they were using them, and it sounded pretty bad. They quickly switched over to using the Axe FX after that tour.

And like I always try to stress, album tone means nothing. It's never representative of what an amp actually sound like, because of double/quad tracking, among a plethora of other studio tricks.

I'm sure that if the JVM was good for metal, it'd be recommended here. But it never is. There's always people asking if they're good, but the JVM almost always gets shot down in a comparison with other "metal" amps in the same price range.

Everytime Ive seen trivium around 16 times theyve been using 6505s and 5150s.

Id take a jvm over a 6505+ especially but the best thing for the ts to do is try them out if possible look for some people selling used jvms and 6505s around your area and go test them out, try out some mesas too if theres any!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by themelodicdeathshow
Everytime Ive seen trivium around 16 times theyve been using 6505s and 5150s.

Yeah, that was what they used for years. Just like late 2010 or early 2011 they switched the the JVM briefly, and then totally switched over to Axe FX within the past year. I've seen them a couple times with the Axe. I don't really like the Axe FX, but I get it, it's super easy to set up and transport.

Funnily enough, I actually have seen All Shall Perish. But I'm not a fan, so I didn't really pay attention. Not that it would have mattered much, Mayhem isn't exactly a festival where you can stand around and notice all the subtleties of tone. Most of the time all you can hear is drums, and everything else is pretty muffled.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, that was what they used for years. Just like late 2010 or early 2011 they switched the the JVM briefly, and then totally switched over to Axe FX within the past year. I've seen them a couple times with the Axe. I don't really like the Axe FX, but I get it, it's super easy to set up and transport.

Funnily enough, I actually have seen All Shall Perish. But I'm not a fan, so I didn't really pay attention. Not that it would have mattered much, Mayhem isn't exactly a festival where you can stand around and notice all the subtleties of tone. Most of the time all you can hear is drums, and everything else is pretty muffled.

Ill be working at the upcomming trivium show in mi, So im interested to see what there using now.
Last year at mayhem fest in clarkston mi, they still had 6505s.
Ive worked backstage at every mayhem fest in mi since it started the sound quality at the dte has awlays been top notch.

As far as all shall perishs live sound it is deathcore so drums and bass play a huge role but as far as deathcore bands ive seen live there sound has awlays been one of the best next to the acacia strain.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was never a fan of the JVM for anything and I've played it 5 or 6 times now.

Just plain ish

I've played it for like a half hour at GC.

SO. DIGITAL.

At least to my ears.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Hate to say it, but Synyster Gates has a JVM that he used when I saw them a few months ago. It's the furthest thing from digital. I own the JVM210h, and it's awesome. It's Marshall's flagship amp for a reason. It has great cleans and an unlimited amount of gain. You can dial a lot of tones with it, although it's definitely a tweaker amp. Not something you can set at 12'oclock and be happy with. Once you play with it, and it warms up, it sounds so organic though. Throw a TS808 or TS9 in front of it and you have all of your A7x tones, no problem.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
i don't like the JVM's. i played one at GC this past Saturday. i messed around with it for 20 minutes or so, then noticed a Dr. Z low down under the display case, needless to say i changed amps. but it still stands, i didn't like the JVM.

+1 you will never get album tone. it is multi-tracked so heavily, sometimes using multiple amps, then studio processing, and the mix. it doesn't sound the same.

just the other day i was on a jet city thread and said that the JCA20 can't do metal. i owned one. somebody posted a track up of MC's ( http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/play879011 ) it could not do metal, and doesn't sound like the real amp much at all. that clip was what made me order one. it didn't deliver. you can tell it was mixed and mastered. that is why it sounds different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't like the JVM's. i played one at GC this past Saturday. i messed around with it for 20 minutes or so, then noticed a Dr. Z low down under the display case, needless to say i changed amps. but it still stands, i didn't like the JVM.

+1 you will never get album tone. it is multi-tracked so heavily, sometimes using multiple amps, then studio processing, and the mix. it doesn't sound the same.

just the other day i was on a jet city thread and said that the JCA20 can't do metal. i owned one. somebody posted a track up of MC's ( http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/play879011 ) it could not do metal, and doesn't sound like the real amp much at all. that clip was what made me order one. it didn't deliver. you can tell it was mixed and mastered. that is why it sounds different.

that same clip has me wanting to order one.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
that same clip has me wanting to order one.

i can tell you it doesn't do that. i had it hooked up to at least three or four cabs one being an Orange 2x12," the others could have been anything. i boosted it with every OD pedal i owned. you just don't get that tone. i have been playing for quite a while and gone through quite a few amps and guitars (MC has definitely gone through more) and know how to EQ, it wasn't operator error.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i can tell you it doesn't do that. i had it hooked up to at least three or four cabs one being an Orange 2x12," the others could have been anything. i boosted it with every OD pedal i owned. you just don't get that tone. i have been playing for quite a while and gone through quite a few amps and guitars (MC has definitely gone through more) and know how to EQ, it wasn't operator error.

well thanks for the info dude.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Look into the Blackstar HT stage HT100 100w head.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
blackstar is heavily hated around here.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
blackstar is heavily hated around here.

false claims by manufacturers tend to make consumers pissed, and lose trust.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
false claims by manufacturers tend to make consumers pissed, and lose trust.

yeah, i was once considering one. simply because I prefer low wattage. but after everything ive read I have no interest.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Oh wow did not know that thank you.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
Oh wow did not know that thank you.

i see you're sick fo the vypyr 15 too lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
There's so much BS in this thread.

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
There's so much BS in this thread.

whats that?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
i see you're sick fo the vypyr 15 too lol.

Oh no I'm not sick of it lol. I love it it's a nice little practice amp, but I need to start getting my gig equipment together so thats why I'm looking around getting suggestions.

I was set on aPeavey 6505+ head an a cab of some sort, but someone reffered me to that Blackstar. I looked it up an it had better OD an better cleans to me then the 6505+ an its almost $400 cheaper then the peavey.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
its not all tube. you could prolly go with the 6505 112 for $599.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I know but I just dont know if it can give me good enough cleans as I am wanting.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
a combo of metal and good cleans is gonna cost alot of money.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Lol well thats why I was looking for a head that can give me good enough cleans an worry about the cab after I get the head.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
Lol well thats why I was looking for a head that can give me good enough cleans an worry about the cab after I get the head.

Carvin V3
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2