Alright, I would call myself an Intermediate guitarist, and I feel like I'm not getting any better... Since June I've started playing lead guitar in a punk band with my friends, and I've basically just been sticking to writing riffs with pentatonic scales in mind and that's about it.

I know all the notes on the guitar and the major and minor pentatonic scales. What do you suggest I need to learn (anything really) to get better at writing riffs and such.
Quote by Spaztikko
dont wank the petatonics as much....

I'm trying to learn not cut back
Learn scales other than the pentatonics. Maybe the harmonic minor scale? It has a very interesting sound. Or you could look into music and chord theory to expand your creativity and musical knowledge. Find new songs to learn, explore new tunings, expand and play different genres like jazz. Man I could go on forever. You never run out of things to learn on the guitar.....unless you could live forever.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Last edited by Trizek at Jan 7, 2012,
Yeah I got my guitar teacher in school to start teaching me some jazz theory, he's got a master's degree in the Trombone and pretty much knows every single thing to do with jazz, since the book my school uses only goes up to the basic chords and scales.
Sweep picking, tapping, more theory, improvising (that will come with the theory, but I suggest finding multi-key tracks on YouTube and work on key changes), odd meters, flamenco, other genres, finger picking, etc. There's a lot to learn, man.
you're a stone fox
Learn anything and everything. It's limitless. New techniques, new styles, etc. It's all about experimentation as well. Just learn anything you can, there's an insane amount of stuff to learn just on the internet. I learn something new everyday that helps me with writing music and playing guitar...and thats just off the internet.