I made a topic about this on the pit and it was the pits cus people yelled at me all the time

Anyway, I want to write alternative/surf/punk music, I've been into the pixies and cage the elephant mostly lately for music listening. Just wondering if taking this Jazz Theory class would help me out in writing that genre of music. I normally have a good amount of trouble thinking of good sounds to make, and writing the music part in general.

Thanks!
maybe you could try learning alternative/surf/punk music
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I made a topic about this on the pit and it was the pits cus people yelled at me all the time

Anyway, I want to write alternative/surf/punk music, I've been into the pixies and cage the elephant mostly lately for music listening. Just wondering if taking this Jazz Theory class would help me out in writing that genre of music. I normally have a good amount of trouble thinking of good sounds to make, and writing the music part in general.

Thanks!

Can you become an Accountant by majoring in Premed? Just write songs in your prefered genere and your skill as a songwriter will grow.
Alternative? Kind of. Different chord voicings, using add chords and 7ths and a bunch of other stuff would add a good color to an alternative style.

Punk? If you know how to make a power chord and count to four you can pretty much do anything you need to do.

Surf? I don't know enough about it to make fun of it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42

Surf? I don't know enough about it to make fun of it.

Dun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun. Dun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun. Waaaah, wop. Waaaah, wop. Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Yep...
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Dun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun. Dun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nun. Waaaah, wop. Waaaah, wop. Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Yep...

Teamwork.

TS, really if you're interested in jazz, jazz theory, and a jazz theory class, take the class. If you're not, don't. Don't take a class on a topic like this if it's not something you enjoy.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
kk, I'll not take it. What should I do if I want to write that style of music? I always have trouble making music , maybe I just don't mess around enough??
Quote by Green_Ghoul
kk, I'll not take it. What should I do if I want to write that style of music? I always have trouble making music , maybe I just don't mess around enough??

learn the style of music

find songs in that style

learn them

figure out what they're doing

do that, without actually stealing their ideas
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Green_Ghoul

Learn Theory

It might make you not appreciate punk that much.. but it will definetly inspire you.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
TS, notice how you said I've been listening to x, y and z LATELY?

take the class. in ten years, you're not going to be writing that surf punk stuff primarily and maybe not even listening to it. so why base your education choices on something as fleeting as a flavor of the month genre.
#DTWD
It's always a genre I've been interested, not really "flavor of the month" because I always listen to those bands. I've just been listening to them more lately.
yeah, I listen to the pixies a lot and have seen them twice. take the class.
#DTWD
Quote by Green_Ghoul
haha, I won't turn into a jazz musician by taking this class, will I?

no. that takes years of dedication and musical development. one outcome is you discover that jazz really clicks with you and decide to pursue it. the other is you have more tools in your compositional and improvisational toolboxes. the dissonant harmonies of jazz would benefit you with making this kind of discordant music. but it would also help you in general with musicianship.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jan 8, 2012,
I signed up for it, I think it's going to help me a lot with what you said. I also think that being able to pick apart music that I don't typically listen to will only help me pick apart my favorite genres.

Thanks
Quote by Green_Ghoul
haha, I won't turn into a jazz musician by taking this class, will I?

Don't listen to Primusfan. He has no idea what he's talking about.

The moment you step foot in that room, you will feel the a torturous urge to resolve a cadence with altered tensions.

Stay away from this class.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm not a bully. I just don't like stupid questions asked by stupid people.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Oh yeah, I'm real stupid, especially for asking a simple question. If you don't want to deal with someone, I'd suggest not dealing with them instead of making an ass of yourself.
I'm just having a bit of fun at your expense

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Slashiepie
Learn Theory

It might make you not appreciate punk that much.. but it will definetly inspire you.

idk, the more involved i get in theory the more i appreciate the more hardcore punk stuff. but i appreciate irreverence, like primus and pinkly smooth and the like.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
First: Xiaoxi, the cool shades are no match for a ban hammer.... maybe.... Ok, if i had a ban hammer, it would be powerless....

Second: Why not take the class? I love punk, theory, and just plain old music in general.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
You like alternative/punk/surf

You want to write better in those styles

Then my honest opinion is that you take up modules in :

Bebop

The Madrigals of Monteverdi

Introduction to gamelan

Changing attitudes in vibrato and portamento in string playing in the late eighteen and early nineteenth centuries.

Stylistic trends in the writing of Rick Astley
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Green_Ghoul
but I still have all the money in my wallet. That fun was free

Gimme your lunch money, punk.

Quote by vampirelazarus
First: Xiaoxi, the cool shades are no match for a ban hammer.... maybe.... Ok, if i had a ban hammer, it would be powerless....

My shades are above everything.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Gimme your lunch money, punk.

My shades are above everything.

Curses....
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.