Page 1 of 3
Name some stuff like TV or music that you really find poorly written/composed. It doesn't necessarily have to even be stuff you dislike. Just things where you don't really have a lot of respect for the writing.

For TV: The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. I actually kind of like these shows. I'll put them on if nothing else is on TV. However I still recognize that the comedy and jokes just seem very obvious, and a lot of the jokes are very predictable. Sometimes the shows can make me laugh, though. But (especially How I Met Your Mother) the shows just seem very formulaic and obviously marketed. I think shows like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Workaholics have more artistic integrity in terms of Comedy TV than shows like HIMYM, Two And A Half Men, etc.

Also, anything by Tyler Perry.

For Music: A lot of Electronic music. I mean, there are some Electronic Artists that I love, and I'm blown away by some of the stuff they write. But I feel like a lot of Electronic music has ridiculously simple content, a lot of times unoriginal and cliche, but the majority of the effort is given to the production.

For Movies: I'm not really a film critic and can't name anything besides really obvious stuff like romantic comedies or all of the movies like Epic Movie, Date Movie or Meet The Spartans. I pretty much just look at the general consensus of movies like Rotten Tomatoes and if it seems good and worthwhile I'll watch it. Maybe Jack Off Jill will come in the thread and drop some knowledge.
How i met your mother

Possibly the worst show on tv right now.
Not funny at all.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

I think HIMYM is extremely well written...

EDIT: Well hello there, oncoming shit storm...

EDIT2: Extremely may be the wrong word. The storyline is very well thought-out, and the actor's ability to play off each other is much appreciated. It's cliche, no doubt, but it's charming.
Last edited by goest at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap
Also, anything by Tyler Perry.

Thread is over.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
TV shows: Pretty much anything on the air. Especially those 30 minute/hour long real life drama shits that people call entertainment like ****ing Jersey Shore.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Those syfy original movies make me cringe if i attempt to watch them
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Oh, one more. I've actually seen a lot of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. And I think they did a great job with Det. Robert Goren's character. He's mentally unstable, but they don't overdo it, and Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe act great together. Some of the episodes I think are alright writing.

But (like any crime show) it's just filled with cliches sometimes and a lot of it is just unoriginal.
I'm extremely undiscerning about things like this. I will watch/listen to nearly anything

BBT would be so much better without that laugh track though.
cat
Quote by K!d_MeTaL
Those syfy original movies make me cringe if i attempt to watch them

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
TV shows: Pretty much anything on the air. Especially those 30 minute/hour long real life drama shits that people call entertainment like ****ing Jersey Shore.

Jersey Shore is entertaining.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by guitarxo

BBT would be so much better without that laugh track though.

I HATE laugh tracks. THey just make everything seem so cheep. If a show is funny I can figure it out, I don't need a pre-recorded audience to tell me. I guess some people are to stupid
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
>It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Workaholics
>Artistic integrity
>Huh?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by moscaespañol
Jersey Shore is entertaining.

It's disgusting and a waste of life
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by element4433
>Artistic integrity
>Huh?

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy on TV along with Community and Parks and Rec.

Fact.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by creelers

Oh god that made me cringe because of the awkwardness. Almost as bad as when in Revenge of the Sith the dialogue goes something like this

Anakin: You look so beautiful.
Padme: Its because I'm so in love.
Anakin: No, [forced laughter] it's because I'm so in love with you.

yeah, that bad.

Quote by GunsNSnakepits
It's disgusting and a waste of life

What's your point?

Quote by WCPhils
I HATE laugh tracks. THey just make everything seem so cheep. If a show is funny I can figure it out, I don't need a pre-recorded audience to tell me. I guess some people are to stupid
I don't mind it if the crowd seems like they're legitimately laughing. Like on Seinfeld, you could tell for a lot of it, the crowd's laughter was genuine, and I'm sure a lot of the audience were pretty stoked to see that show.

I was in LA once, and I watched the live taping of a sitcom with a live studio audience, and it was for some show on ABC, but it wasn't like Seinfeld (I think the show got canceled a few years back). They tell you just to laugh at anything you think it a joke (it's not like they force you to laugh, they just ask a lot). People don't really laugh, rather than just quietly go "huh huh huh" to themselves. When you watch certain parts of shows like Seinfeld or classic shows like I Love Lucy or All In The Family, there's a clear difference with genuine laugh.
Quote by element4433
>Artistic integrity
>Huh?
I know the humor is crude and vulgar, but still.
Quote by WCPhils
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy on TV along with Community and Parks and Rec.

Fact.
I like it alright. But it doesn't really have great writing. There's not a lot of quotable, funny lines. It more comes from the situations.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by WCPhils

Fact.
Parks and Rec is fantastic. I hope they don't get all sappy and dramatic like The Office did.
Quote by The Madcap
I don't mind it if the crowd seems like they're legitimately laughing. Like on Seinfeld, you could tell for a lot of it, the crowd's laughter was genuine, and I'm sure a lot of the audience were pretty stoked to see that show.

Actually, now that you say it, I agree with you on Seinfeld. I love that show. I guess I was only thinking of shows that are now. Also, like you said, the laughter in Seinfeld never felt like it was forced. It was just the right amount.
Quote by element4433
I like it alright. But it doesn't really have great writing. There's not a lot of quotable, funny lines. It more comes from the situations.

Fair enough. I was just being obnoxious.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 7, 2012,
Tell you what didn't have bad writing, The Cape.

Six seasons and a movie!
Quote by element4433
Really? I just think that with comedy, I judge more on originality, lack of cliches, and how much it makes me laugh, more so than what I can quote later (although I think Workaholics is a pretty quotable show). And you also have to subtract the actor's performance (ie Like how Charlie Day can take just a normal reply ot something and say it in a funny way). And surely the situations and stories of these shows are from the writing?
Everything that appears on the Sci Fi channel
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by FlashNinja
Tell you what didn't have bad writing, The Cape.

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote by FlashNinja

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote by The Madcap
(ie Like how Charlie Day can take just a normal reply ot something and say it in a funny way)

___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by element4433
>Artistic integrity
>Huh?

This. IASIP is probably one of the most boring and unfunny shows I've ever seen.

I never liked Malcolm in the Middle, Everybody Hates Chris or Drake and Josh. I wish all of those series to go to hell and burn forever. I have rarely seen more poorly-written TV shows. (yes I am aware they're over a decade old, but they still show reruns of those shows every day over here and they piss me off)
Quote by The Madcap
(ie Like how Charlie Day can take just a normal reply ot something and say it in a funny way)

When a stranger calls. (Not scary...just don't answer the phone you moron)
The secret life of an American teenager. (Gay)
Avatar The Last Airbender live action film. (Very dissapointing)
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I never liked Malcolm in the Middle, Everybody Hates Chris or Drake and Josh. I wish all of those series to go to hell and burn forever. I have rarely seen more poorly-written TV shows. (yes I am aware they're over a decade old, but they still show reruns of those shows every day over here and they piss me off)
Oh well, no shit, bro, I've seen those German-dubbed reruns of Malcolm In The Middle and they do suck dick.
Quote by Twist of fate
King of the Hill is only funny if you're from Texas

The most conservative part of Texas

The most religiously orthodox conservative part of Texas

Nah, King of the Hill was awesome bro.

I think I watch to much TV.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Twist of fate
King of the Hill is only funny if you're from Texas
I'm from Texas and think it's amazing.
Quote by Twist of fate
The most conservative part of Texas
I'm pretty damn left-leaning.
Quote by Twist of fate
The most religiously orthodox conservative part of Texas
Aw hell naw, nigga.
Two and a Half Men. Sucks balls.
So is the new Hawaii Five-O. Sucks a bag of dicks.

Movies. Twilight. ****ing plague of the literary world and the motion pictures. It's the most awkward, mind-numbing shit ever. It's polluting the minds of this generation. Meyer should be hanged.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Page 1 of 3