No
23 55%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
Inspired by this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMzdAZ3TjCA

And this;
Quote by Charles
I think the media demands that athletes be role models because there's some jealousy involved. It's as if they say, this is a young black kid playing a game for a living and making all this money, so we're going to make it tough on him. And what they're really doing is telling kids to look up to someone they can't become, because not many people can be like we are. Kids can't be like Michael Jordan.
No. They shouldn't be just because they are an athlete.

Can they be? Sure, but that is up to the athlete. If he or she wants to give back and become involved in the community that is a great thing. But they shouldn't be obligated to become a role model just because they play a game for a living.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Why wouldn't they? There's nothing wrong with someone embodying the aspirations of what you wish to become. I look up to musicians, others look up to athletes.
It really depends on the athlete. If it's the "work hard, be humble, teamwork" kind, then yes. If it's the "ego-driven, me first" kind then no.

Athletes are a large group of people. Some are great people, some suck.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Strength, Honor, Wisdom. A true role model in the physical sense possesses all three, and rarely do you see men that are worthy.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by element4433
It really depends on the athlete. If it's the "work hard, be humble, teamwork" kind, then yes. If it's the "ego-driven, me first" kind then no.

Athletes are a large group of people. Some are great people, some suck.

It ultimately comes down to the fact that they're just people. There are some respectable, honest ones out there, and shitty, scummy type too.

This group of people tends to be talented and in the limelight more.
People should aspire be something more important than athletes.

Or musicians for that matter.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Parents should be role models.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Depends on the Athlete. Personally I think society as a whole "worships" those guys way too much. They get paid millions of dollars and don't really do anything of value.
Quote by Jackal58
Parents should be role models.

Why not Roethlisberger?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by theguitarist

They don't necessarily aspire to be athletes. A lot of poor kids say "Wow! Allen Iverson was a poor kid and now he's rich, maybe I can be rich one day!"
Quote by genghisgandhi
What? I don't mean a physical role model.

Wether or not athletes should be role models is irrelevant; they are role models and for them pretend that's not the case is like the president saying "I'll fuck all the bishes i want i never said i was a role model".
Quote by genghisgandhi
What? I don't mean a physical role model.

A man like Bertrand Russell is not particularly a man of strength in the physical sense, but his strength in the understanding of pure mathematics is outstanding. He is a role model of strength, not in the physical sense, but the mental one. And that's why I say you need those three to be a good physical role model - there is a mental aspect associated with being good at using your body motions.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by WCPhils
Why not Roethlisberger?

Should be apparent.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by spitonastranger
Wether or not athletes should be role models is irrelevant; they are role models and for them pretend that's not the case is like the president saying "I'll fuck all the bishes i want i never said i was a role model".

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that isn't really fair on the athletes part.

I mean, Kobe Bryant signed a NBA contract when he was seventeen! That's two years younger then me, and I can't even imagine a bunch of kids looking up to me. Just because I could shoot a basketball wouldn't make that any different.

Quote by Jackal58
Should be apparent.

___

Quote by The_Blode
Let's just say that someone needs to be, first and foremost, a good human before he is a good athlete, to be a role model.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Strength, Honor, Wisdom. A true role model in the physical sense possesses all three, and rarely do you see men that are worthy.
Seems like the perfect Role Model under your definition is the Triforce.

Quote by genghisgandhi
They don't necessarily aspire to be athletes. A lot of poor kids say "Wow! Allen Iverson was a poor kid and now he's rich, maybe I can be rich one day!"

ok, well aspire to live useful lives rather than just be rich, buying a load of useless crap, and not doing anything productive for the craphole you came from.

maybe I just have a bad view of athletes, but I don't think a p.o.v of 'compete for the sake of it/money' is a very good one.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Yes and no. There are plenty that can be fairly inspirational(I can think of a few personally who I consider inspirational), but at the same time, making every athlete a role model just because they're in the spotlight on a weekly basis is plain stupid. I can think of twenty that shouldn't be for every one that should. It's a very case-by-case thing, so flat-out yes/no, I'm going to say no.

Especially no though with young children - it should either be their parents, or someone fictional that literally can't put up a bad example if you have to take someone other than their parents.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by The Madcap
Seems like the perfect Role Model under your definition is the Triforce.

And worthy is he.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Athletes get where they are through hard work and perseverance. Why shouldn't they be considered role models?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by theguitarist
ok, well aspire to live useful lives rather than just be rich, buying a load of useless crap, and not doing anything productive for the craphole you came from.

maybe I have a bad view of athletes, but I don't think a p.o.v of 'compete for the sake of it/money' is a very good one.

Poor kids want to make it so they can know they have enough money to buy food every night.
Quote by WCPhils

I mean, Kobe Bryant signed a NBA contract when he was seventeen! That's two years younger then me, and I can't even imagine a bunch of kids looking up to me. Just because I could shoot a basketball wouldn't make that any different.

Sure it's not fair or even appropriate that they get treated as role models but there's got to be some sort of catch to earning millions every year to play sport?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Poor kids want to make it so they can know they have enough money to buy food every night.

regardless, I don't think they should thinking the way to 'make it' is through becoming a sports star. even discounting the prerequisite talent and luck needed just to get on that level, people really ought to looking to someone with more value.

though if you're talking about whether athletes are good role models for getting unnecessarily rich and famous, then they are very good people to look up to. pop artists too.

there are much better people to look up to if they want to live a comfortable life, but I don't expect kids to think rationally.

personally, I don't expect athletes to be role models, and so when they do stupid things, I don't get annoyed like the mass of people who start screaming about the kids or how that person is setting a bad example for the nation.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Being a successful athlete usually requires a lot of hard work and dedication, so yes.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Being a successful athlete usually requires a lot of hard work and dedication, so yes.

A lot of them are also the center of their own universe. Those that reach the elite level of professionalism are often shallow self centered creeps that have been told their entire lives they are special.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by spitonastranger
Sure it's not fair or even appropriate that they get treated as role models but there's got to be some sort of catch to earning millions every year to play sport?

Yea, I partially agree with you. I think they can be great role models. Since almost all of them are very hard working and dedicated. But at the same time, I wasn't one of those people "outraged" that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife, or anything else like that.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Jackal58
A lot of them are also the center of their own universe. Those that reach the elite level of professionalism are often shallow self centered creeps that have been told their entire lives they are special.

Yeah that's true. I guess just use the good part as a role model and ignore the rest
cat
Quote by theguitarist

So doing anything to make our (and possibly others') lives enjoyable in any way is not important at all, ok, makes a lot of sense.

Not everybody wants to be important and smart or whatever. Some people are content to just do what makes them happy, and hopefully, in the process make someone else happy. What the hell is life if you can't be happy?

Quote by Jackal58

And your point is...? That they are bad people? They can still be a role model. Hell, I look up to some terrible people even though they are assholes. It doesn't mean you focus on all of their bad qualities.

If some scientist made an awesome discovery, but was a huge dickhead, would you still say he can't be a role model?
I'd look up to someone who puts that much time and effort into being as good as the are at what they do, sure.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by WCPhils

It is fair, they are getting paid to be role models.
Quote by Nitnatsnok
It is fair, they are getting paid to be role models.

They're getting paid to be entertainers for multi-billion dollar industries, who's entire profit margins rely on their consistent solid performance. The role model thing is tacked on because a lot of them do have very inspirational stories.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Why not? However, I don't think they should be expected to behave as such (be held to a higher standard or morality or whatever).
Quote by due 07
Yes (except for hockey players obviously).

They're the only athletes worthy of being role models

Quote by MinterMan22
They're the only athletes worthy of being role models

But they're pussies.
Page 1 of 2