Anyone got any tips? I'm trying to get really good at it. Also does the height of the strings affect it?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
You will never 'master' legato.

The answer to improving (like anything) is practise.
Quote by vayne92
You will never 'master' legato.

The answer to improving (like anything) is practise.

Probably the most useless reply I've ever seen...

Anyway, for legato, what you're probably going to have to work on the most is the "pull-off" since it's what generally throws everyone off. The standard pull-off exercises between each set of fingers is a really good one to consistently work. I'd recommend using a clean tone and trying to get the loudest notes that you possibly can within reason (you still want to be as relaxed as possible and not strain your hand too much). Really try to get a nice, strong, snappy pull-off. Personally, I think Guthrie Govan has the best legato technique out there (in your face, Holdsworth!), and you should try to imitate his sound as closely as possible. ALSO, practice playing any riffs you normally would, but don't pick them...at all. All left hand.
I play on thick strings like 11-56 in Eb and legato on low strings seems to be almost impossible no matter how often I practice :/ Legato on the first 3 strings is quite easy even fast but when I go lower its really, really hard and makes my left hand very tense. How to deal with that?
Quote by MvAgusta
I play on thick strings like 11-56 in Eb and legato on low strings seems to be almost impossible no matter how often I practice :/ Legato on the first 3 strings is quite easy even fast but when I go lower its really, really hard and makes my left hand very tense. How to deal with that?

If they're becoming tense, it COULD be more of a mental problem. You've convinced yourself that it is difficult and your hand tenses up a result. Just thinking of hammers for a second, you don't really need to slam your finger down hard, but you do need the "motion" to be very quick, even at a slow tempo. It should be one quick movement.
I did this legatto speed building exercise with metronome (ofc) for a while. It helped me:
e|--8p5-7h8p7p5-5---|
B|-------------------7----|

The note played on the B string (7th fret) can also be played at 8th fret.
This one works if you start really slowly (start with something that seems a waaay to easy!) Focus at playing correctly and steadly.

EDIT: Also play it in different positions.

Happy practicing,
Metal-pro