So I'm having trouble with notes continuing to be sounding when I change chords. This is a problem when I change from an A chord to a D chord (open A string is continuing to ring) and from an E chord to a D or A chord (open E is still going). So my question is what's the easiest way to mute these notes while I am changing chords without having to pause to mute them?

I also have small hands so reaching around and muting the strings with my thumb doesn't really seem like an option, though I haven't tried it much. I tried once to see if it would work and as soon as I felt my fingers not being in the correct position I gave up on it. Muting the E string with my thumb could probably be done with practice, but comfortably muting the A string like that is a different story.
You could try to use your the palm of your picking/ strumming hand to kill the strings but in all honesty unless you're wailing on the strings when you strum the strings probably aren't coherent once you switch chords and start strumming those.

I can't hear your playing so I'm not entirely sure what the best answer would be, but try to stay in a habit of keeping your thumb behind the neck. That isn't really proper technique. I know Hendrix used to thumb notes for chords and etc but it is a lot easier on your hand if you keep your thumb back, it allows your fingers to bridge and it is better for your wrist.

Quote by supersac
well you should quickly mute them with your strumming hand

Fixed,

you could also use the other hand, but that won't work if you're talking about open chords(unless you're a sneaky ninja)
Last edited by Zeletros at Jan 8, 2012,
Ya using my strumming hand has been the only real option I could think of (unless I am a sneaky ninja with my thumb). I guess it'll just be a matter of playing even slower until I get that reflex in.
When I strum, I personally don't even notice how I mute unwanted strings... it becomes sort of natural.