My band goes into the studio for the first time this week and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for me, or links to where I can read up on some. I play guitar.

Also, if anybody has any suggestions for strings that would be nice too. I like to use cleans a lot and I play in B Standard (B-E-A-D-F♯-B). I don't want them to be too loose and have a muddied sound, but obviously I don't want them so tight that it messes up my guitar.

Thanks ^_^
^_^
1. Practice a lot to a metronome.

2. Practice even more to a metronome.

3. Put new strings on a day before you go record, make sure they're stretched properly. I tend to like Ernie Ball and DR, but strings are really a preference thing.

4. Practice more to a metronome.

5. Make sure your guitar is properly intonated and setup nicely.

6. Make the rest of your band practice to a metronome.

7. Practice to a metronome again.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Practice is key. I know I'm barely into the world of recording other bands but nothing drives me more nuts than watching bands waste their time in the studio writing or ****ing up parts when they could be recording.

Though getting paid $25 an hour to listen to people write is nice :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Practice is key. I know I'm barely into the world of recording other bands but nothing drives me more nuts than watching bands waste their time in the studio writing or ****ing up parts when they could be recording.

Though getting paid $25 an hour to listen to people write is nice :p

It gets old, very fast.

Even if I'm getting paid a decent amount, I'd rather be doing something more constructive by myself (you know, like watching TV or something ), than sitting there having bands waste my time while they rewrite songs, because they didn't come prepared
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you won't be recording to a metronome, there is no real pressure to practice with one, except for the obvious fact that it will make your playing tighter.

Some producers/engineers insist on recording to a click. Others hate it. Others, like myself, will take it on a case-by-case basis.

Here are some links on my own site that I try to ensure that people read before coming over to record:

General advice: http://www.now-here-this.com/greenroomrecording/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=4

Some specific advice - note the subsections here for various instruments: http://www.now-here-this.com/greenroomrecording/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=20

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.