This might be a little bit of a stupid thread but I need to find a chair for playing my electric guitar. The only chair in my room right now is my office chair that I use with my computer and I cannot use it for playing guitar because of the arm rests. Sitting on the side of my bed and playing is very uncomfortable as well because my bed is pretty high.

I was wondering what an ideal chair would be for playing my Epiphone Les Paul. I was thinking something like a shorter version of a bar stool would be ideal but I wouldn't mind hearing ideas from you guys.

Pictures would be appreciated so I could pick up something similar while I am at Ikea tomorrow.

Thanks!
Get a strap....
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Get a strap....

Do I really need to stand? I practice like 2-3 hours straight when I practice and I would probably get tired of standing that long.

I already have strap locks and a strap though.
Fair play if you want to play sitting down, I find it much more comfy to practice sitting. Bar stools are a good idea, they do make stools specifically for guitar playing with foot rests and what not like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_bar_stool_24.htm but they tend to be very expensive. I am sure you could find a cheap stool of some description at Ikea or failing that maybe an office chair with no armrests.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by musicmanstinger
Fair play if you want to play sitting down, I find it much more comfy to practice sitting. Bar stools are a good idea, they do make stools specifically for guitar playing with foot rests and what not like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_bar_stool_24.htm but they tend to be very expensive. I am sure you could find a cheap stool of some description at Ikea or failing that maybe an office chair with no armrests.

That looks pretty nice. Yeah I was thinking something like that as well. Also I'm not sure why but I found sitting in one of our dining room chairs with something to lean on was extremely uncomfortable while playing. I much prefer not leaning on anything.

Might as well just pick up a bar stool then.
Fold up chair, but if you wanna get serious about tone..

They say Hendrix used to play one of the originals in electric lady studios, and Jeff Beck bought the fabric and made a custom chair out of it. The newer ones don't have the vintage sound of the originals but if you can pick up an early 90s one no one in the audience will be able to tell and it will get you in the ballpark.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 8, 2012,
I sit on a bar stool if I'm going to be sitting while jamming.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Something without arm rests is preferable.

Doesn't really matter though, as long as it feels comfortable

I usually practice at my office chair though, which has arm rests. You just have to angle yourself on it and let the guitar rest on your left leg, instead of the right (it might feel weird at first, but that is actually the correct way to play a guitar when sitting). You may notice your wrists become fatigued if you practice for long periods with your guitar positioned on the right leg (if you're right handed), this is easily remedied by placing the guitar on your left leg, instead.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I prefer a mechanics stool... I have hardwood floors and a concrete basement...

The tray on the bottom is well, useful.

(Invalid img)
bar stools work but are big, (relatively) expensive and heavy. probably not what you want in your room.

honestly, any bog standard chair that has no arms should work fine.

fwiw i agree with you, if you're going to be practising for hours on end then standing isn't really feasible. just remember to occasionally practise standing up, so you can play standing up too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Fold up chair, but if you wanna get serious about tone..

They say Hendrix used to play one of the originals in electric lady studios, and Jeff Beck bought the fabric and made a custom chair out of it. The newer ones don't have the vintage sound of the originals but if you can pick up an early 90s one no one in the audience will be able to tell and it will get you in the ballpark.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you can't stand while playing, how are you going to play live? Sitting? Thats for those acoustic sissies.
I'm assuming you have a roof.......you're gonna get a better view sitting and playing up there than you would if you were indoors.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Another good option is a Drummers Throne, they work great as-well. Or you could find a comfy office chair that the arms can be removed from if you want some back support. Also like mentioned before practice sometimes standing for you will be equally as good playing both ways. I have a hard time playing sitting down.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jan 8, 2012,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Another good option is a Drummers Throne, they work great as-well. Or you could find a comfy office chair that the arms can be removed from if you want some back support. Also like mentioned before practice sometimes standing for you will be equally as good playing both ways. I have a hard time playing sitting down.

im surprised noone else said drum throne. bar stool is too high in my opinion. drum throne is perfect
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."

Office Max $100. Mesh back, lots of adjustments and five wheels so I don't tip over when I'm drunk..

and you do realize most office chairs the arms are just screwed to the bottom of the seat, you don't have to put them on.. you knew that , right?

Quote by ComradeNF
This might be a little bit of a stupid thread but I need to find a chair for playing my electric guitar. The only chair in my room right now is my office chair that I use with my computer and I cannot use it for playing guitar because of the arm rests.
Okay maybe not..
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 8, 2012,
^ i think the armrests on my chair can't be removed easily
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Terrible suggestions! People recommending cheap solid state stools when you can get an all-tube office chair for the same price.

Also, an all tube office chair will be just as good for gigging as a solid state barstool.

EDIT: Okay, for a serious answer:

I personally prefer using a duet-length piano bench that's padded. It may not look as cool as a Fender bar stool but it keeps your ass from aching and gives you room to place beer and shit next to you while you're playing.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 8, 2012,
I've noticed this is an outdated thread, never the less if somebody is interested on updated suggestions, we made a buying guide with what we think are the best options available at the moment.
Please let me know if you think we are missing something.
Hope it helps!